My GT550W "Stealth" install

forcedfx

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got done installing my GT550W dash came in front of my rear view mirror on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra. I made my own custom metal bracket and attached it to the rear view mirror mount. I also painted the front of the camera body with flat black paint so it would blend in better.

The camera is hard wired into the 12v accessory port using the wiring that came with it. I have very little room between my rear view mirror and the windshield so I had to open up the camera and solder two leads directly to the circuit board. Using the factory power adapter would have been impossible without a right angle adapter and the right angle adapter would have interfered with the rear view mirror. All of the wiring is hidden.

The camera can still be removed if desired, but it is easier to just remove the micro SD card.

For now, these pictures are terrible. I took them with my cell phone and will try to get better ones later. This is about as "stealth" as I will be able to get the camera to be. It's not noticeable at all from both outside and inside the car unless you are looking for it.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

I know, its very hard to take pictures of wind-shield from outside so dashcam could be seen. Always aether too dark, or too cloudy, or sun shining directly.
I discovered for myself to make good clear pictures if its daytime, sun is at point of about 22.30 or 14.30 ( 45 degree from horizon ) shining from side of the car ( not front, not rear, but side ) and no clouds in the sky ( just nice blue sky ), or even if there are moving clouds at sunny day, then I just stand outside, point camera to the wind-shield, focus and wait when moving white cloud passes away and then make shot. Of course there are many other options, but those for me I found easiest to make clear shot from windshield so mirror and dash cam could be seen.

Awesome, can't see the camera at all... Can you please show us pictures from the inside so we can see the metal bracket and the wiring?

Here you go. The bracket is kind of ghetto style in how I made it. I took the plastic piece that locks into the camera and cut it off from the mount that came with the camera. It's the end that has the ball joint on it. I also cut off the tab that locks it into the camera as the fitting is tight enough that I don't need it. Since the sticky mount and suction cup mount both use the same ball piece I can still use either mount in the future.

So, I cut the end that locks into the camera off and super glued it to a strip of steel. It is surprisingly strong. I roughed up the steel and the plastic before bonding them together. Then I bent it to match the approximate angle of the windshield and painted it black on the side that faces out. I need to go back and bend it a little bit so it's nicer looking.

To connect it to the rear view mirror mount, for now I used black electrical tape. Once I'm happy with it I may put a couple of through bolts to give it a really strong connection to the mount.

You can see where the wires go into the top of the camera. The body of the camera already has a hole in it that is plugged with a sticker so I used that.

4.jpg

Also, I should add that in direct sunlight the camera is fairly visible. Unless I figure out a way to build it into the rear view mirror housing I suppose it always will be. I could probably paint the back of the rear view mirror the same color as the camera and that might help.

I know, its very hard to take pictures of wind-shield from outside so dashcam could be seen.

Using a polarising filter will reduce non-metallic reflexions. If no polarising filter, use the lens of a pair of polarising sunglasses placed in front of the camera lenses.

Nice mod! How are the vibrations with your mount system? Overall looks like a well thought out DIY

Nice mod! How are the vibrations with your mount system? Overall looks like a well thought out DIY

Vibrations are nill as long as the metal bracket is kept as short as possible. Originally I had the bracket longer and it was noticeable going over bumps. It is also attached to the rear view mirror mount so it's very sturdy.

Back