Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Front: 70MAI , Ausdom A261, Mini 0826 , Rear: A118c
_IGP7073_zps2tg7syni.jpg

_IGP7074_zpslxhjgvie.jpg

_IGP7075_zpsqebyqy6t.jpg

_IGP7076_zpsmlcd0kcw.jpg

Ok , my first attempt was to wire the USB power adapter to the headliner interior light power source .
I kind of did hope it was a constant power source when the ignition turned on , but NAY ! it was not thus .

So my second attempt = a toggle switch to manualy turn the camera on and of VIA constant 12v power source in the head liner light assembly .
Yeah , so I can leave the camera on if a go shopping , or turn the camera off ( manually now ) .
Removing the key from the ignition does not turn off the constant 12v ..

I did sort of hope that there was a source for 12v that turned on and off with the ignition , but apparently not ! Anyhow ...
Now I have dual 5v output VIA USB ports .. ( Ok I have to manually turn the power on and off )

It's a clean looking install, though the cable management could use a bit of tidying up ;) I'm thinking my way through a 'master switch' or 'delayed off' set-up myself. Maybe both. My van's overhead console is getting to be a hassle to manage as I keep adding equipment to it's circuit with 5 items and going higher there already:eek: I just ran a separate 10ga wire to the back yesterday since the one already there was always hot (I had the wire and circuit capacity so I went big). Once I get it tied in I can finally install my rear cam. Boy am I slow at getting things done sometimes!

Phil

Yes , I have ordered a 25cm USB cable , see how that goes ...
There are 2 USB cables right now , + the GPS antenna lead , which is rather long ..
I will bundle it up and use a zip tie or something ..
The rubber band solution is just short term , I wanted to be sure everything was working ..
If the 25cm USB cable does the trick , I will order another ..

Why not just run the power supply cable to the fuse box and piggy back a circuit that turns on and off with the key? Much cleaner install when you run it under the headliner and behind the A pillar moulding. Good install but you could have saved some aggravation. You also have the added bonus in your install of being able to charge anything that uses a standard usb charge cable.

Because of the number of cams I run ...
I have 3 forward facing cams , and my Mini 0826 just got here , so that will be 4 forward facing cams ...

Ah, why so many cams? Just curious, not a criticism...

Ah, why so many cams? Just curious, not a criticism...

Oh dear !
Plan was 2 forward facing cams , hence two outputs ..
But then the 0805 ended up being a little disappointing ( Flaky GPS )
So a few more cams latter ..

ATM I would like 2 cams out the back and two cams forward ...
+ Room for another cam for testing / review ...

+ I have added a 3rd power output in the form of a mini USB cable ...
So now I have a USB spliter ( Micro and Mini output ) for two cams ...

Looking forward ATM are ( Power for 4 cams )
A118c
Dome G90
Ausdom A261
+ Just arrived Mini 0826

A few weeks from now I will probably move a cam to the back window or sell a cam
I need to find power for the rear cams ( ATM from sig lighter = Not acceptable )

You could run a power outlet to the back under the carpet or if you have an amp for your car stereo, that goes on with the key, provided the amp is located in the rear of the vehicle it's possible to piggy back off that one. Both my BMW and Dodge Dakota have the stereo amp in the rear of the vehicle. Wow streets must be pretty wild where you are from. Dash Cam's are still a rarity in Canada, however I've been involved in two accidents (neither my fault) where a cam would have been fantastic evidence. Insurance companies love to pin 50/50 fault on everything so they can raise both parties rates.

Completely understand what you are saying about the Mini 0805's flaky GPS. It is very disappointing, however the video on it is very good after the focus is corrected. I had to redo the focus because when received the cam everything was in soft focus after refocus everything is very sharp.

Hmmmm , I would like to remove the center console to get to the back of the cigarette lighter and run 2 hardwire kits from there ...
Unfortunately it looks a little tricky getting to it ... Perhaps when the weather cools off

LOL, I have quite the opposite problem here. I rewired my hardwire kit to run off the powered rearview mirror in my Buick Enclave. It was -18 C today.

Back