My Mini 0805 hardware installation

TerryUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini 0805
Been lurking here for a while and have gathered some useful info about the Mini 0805. Today I did a hardwire install on my Mini 0805 into a mk3 Seat Leon. Thought I'd post it up here as it may be useful for some :)

Parts

dashcam01.JPG

Dashcam
USB cable
Piggy back fuse tap and fuse for the camera (I used a 3 amp fuse) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25165049220512v to 5v USB step down module - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161152971980Various tools (torx screwdriver, trim pry tool, zip ties)

Installation:

Drop down the glovebox by pusing in the tabs on the side, this will give you access to the fuse box, locate the cig lighter fuse (its the yellow 20 amp that is lower down that the others in the same row)

dashcam02.JPG

Remove the fuse, plug the dashcam fuse into the fuse tap in the slot inline with the live cable and the 20 amp cig lighter fuse into the other slot. Place the fuse tap back into the car

dashcam03.JPG

Crimp the live cable from the fuse tap to the live cable on the USB module and attach securely to the car using double sided sticky pads and zip tie. I took the side dash panel out for easier access and for a place to mount the module. Attach the ground cable to screw circled.

dashcam04.JPG

At this point I connected the dashcam and started the car to check both the dashcam and cig lighter worked.

If you haven't done so already, mount the dashcam to the windscreen. Plug in the USB cable to the dashcam and slot the cable into the headliner and run along to the passenger side A piller.

dashcam05.JPG

Continue to slot the cable along the top of the A pillar trim and into the door seal, it is tight at the top of the pillar, I got a bit frustrated and ended up pulling the pillar out.

dashcam06.JPG

dashcam07.JPG

dashcam08.JPG

Carry on running it all the way down to where you put the usb port. I ran the cable and port to the panel where the footwell light is so I can just unscrew the panel to access it.

dashcam09.JPG

Pic of it from drivers side and outside

dashcam10.JPG

dashcam11.JPG

The longest part for me was aiming the camera. The field of view is so wide and I wanted to mount it as high and as close to mirror base as possible but because the mirror base is so big it was getting into the camera shot.

Very neat installation, but would it not have been ideal to stick the mount on the black shaded area so practically invisible from outside?

That was my plan but when I tested it in the black dotted area the mirror housing (with rain sensor) got into view. I had to put it to the left a bit as well otherwise I wouldn't be able to get the camera off the base without the mirror base getting in the way.

That was my plan but when I tested it in the black dotted area the mirror housing (with rain sensor) got into view. I had to put it to the left a bit as well otherwise I wouldn't be able to get the camera off the base without the mirror base getting in the way.
There is one of the advantages of the mini 0806, you can turn it around so that the base can go right up against the mirror base, don't even need to leave space for the power cable as that plugs in the top of the base and can run up the side of the mirror base. - just in case you ever consider an upgrade to dual cameras or someone is trying to decide which to get.

How much current does it take? Around 1 Amp?

Can you tell me how long the USB cable must be, I'll receive mine in couple of days so I need to be prepared

Thanks

Terry and myself used the same cable, it's 6 foot and just enough on our leons

How is the best way to hide the wire when routing from the roof to the weather strip down the side? You have taken the plastic off. Is this easy to do?

I also have an airbag lock on my side panel so I don't really want to try to take this off. Any tips?

Thanks

You must mean the A pillar. Run cable from camera between glass and roof trim to A pillar. Just pull top of A pillar trim away enough to route cable, run accross to the rubber on the outside, tuck under this, down to the side cover of dash board. That's what i did. easy.

Ok so i've got one of these
Do you guys know where this needs to be connected to and how? should I go to
an electrician, I want my camera to work whenever I turn the ignition on.I know where the ignition fuse is just concerned about wiring
Thanks

Last edited:
I'd go for the cigar lighter fuse. Most cigar lighter fuses are 2 way so you can choose whether to have it switched or permanent. Remove fuse and put it in bottom slot off your "add-a-fuse" and put a low amp fuse in the top slot. Crimp the red wire from the fuse to the red on your HW kit cable. Look for a ground point, this can be any conductive metal of the car usually the frame. The black needs to be fixed to bare metal. Look for a bolt or screw that you can attach the black to. If you can't find any then drill a small hole in a nearby metal structure and scrape away any paint so there is a bare metal contact. Put the copper of the black lead in between 2 metal washers and secure it with a small self tapping screw.

Ok so i've got one of these
Do you guys know where this needs to be connected to and how? should I go to
an electrician, I want my camera to work whenever I turn the ignition on.I know where the ignition fuse is just concerned about wiring
Thanks

if you feel uncomfortable or uneasy or just unsure about making connections , then it's probably best you get assistance.
i would highly recommend that you just ask a friend or family member to assist you.
An electrician is NOT recommended (unless they are doing it for a favor for free) , as this is more of a 'do-it-yourself' task or certainly more like a mechanic's job.

Maybe someone is on here from Ireland and not that far from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and willing to wire it up)

@Fspiders @PurpleMoon
Thanks a lot guys for suggestions I decided to buy a circuit fuse holder for a neat installation and to save me from all that hassle

That's the "add-a-fuse" I mentioned. Whichever fuse you take out put it in the lower socket and pop the holder where the original fuse came from. And your low amp fuse in the top socket.

That's the "add-a-fuse" I mentioned. Whichever fuse you take out put it in the lower socket and pop the holder where the original fuse came from. And your low amp fuse in the top socket.
Right , I didn't know I need this extra add-fuse, now I have to wait another couple of days :(
Thanks for the tip

Have just altered my install, add a fuse 2x, one swtiched live the other perm, via a swtich. That way i can choose when parking to have it perm on.
Note on my Leon for example if using the cig lighter fuse on switched you need the out wire pointing up. Its works pointing down but will double fuse through the original 20amp fuse. If unsure test it by removing the 20 amp fuse and you'll see the difference. Needs to work in this case without any original inner fuse plugged in.

Ie for my perm live i just plugged the add a fuse in with any original fuse.

Just an update, do you guys think this is ok? I know I didn't use isolation tape

I've install it on the ignition switch so when I turn on the ignition the camera starts and records, when I turn the ignition off the camera still records (for about 30 min)and keeps charging, after ~30 min suddenly switches off. The issue is that now after doing this installation the camera won't connect to the pc via USB anymore (need to take the card out for recordings) and the red light stays on until the battery dies, I can only use the camera power button when its connected to the power source also when I turn the camera on my time settings are set to default. Otherwise all the other settings remain unchanged and keeps recording great.

PS: Instead of 2AMP fuse for the camera I used 5AMP

Mark. To confirm you installed it as per fspiders, terry and myself?
As switched live the camera should go off after just a few seconds. Mine does.
2 amp is fine.
Sounds like the power isn't going off and/or that the cameras battery is faulty maybe.

Back