My mini 0906

mollydog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve started this new thread about my Mini 0906 as I didn’t want to be clogging up the “0906 public test” thread with my mods, this first post is a copy of the one in that thread and in time followed with other posts:
++++++++++

as I’ve shown in some of my previous images, I made a temporary bracket for the rear DVR to overcome the shadow bracket and to get over the tall lip around the rear window of the Ford Fiesta

previous bracket
back_cam1-SMALL-.jpg

as I’m going to be driving to Italy with my car in just over 2 weeks time, I plan on giving it a good testing in cold, warm and very hot weather all within a few days of each other and will report back.

As yet I didn’t have the heart to swap over the lens as I was afraid of doing more harm than good so for now I’ve not yet swapped this over (I might before I go but not yet sure if I’m brave enough)

anyway back to the bracket, the temporary bracket did it’s job well, no shaking of the camera, all captures footage showed no sign of vibration while recording, I did have to use Gorilla double sided Tape, as closing the tail gate of the Fiesta hatch back did drop the DVR from the home made bracket, but once Gorilla double sided Tape was used the DVR was rock steady at all times

now the rear screen on my Lotus is more or less vertical so the old bracket used in the Fiesta wouldn’t work for two reasons, as mentioned rear screen vertical and the fitted mount could not be made to face the screen, the second reason, above the screen is a round roll over bar with no flat surface on it

P1120655-_SMALL.jpg

this afternoon I had a bit of time on my hands (as I’m rushed off my feet with work, before I set off on holiday) I got hold of an aluminium angle with approx measurements of 35mm tall 45mm deep and 40mm wide

on the tall 35mm section I worked out where the centre of the DVR lens would be and drilled a 20mm hole, on the 45mm depth I drilled 4 small holes to screw the fracker from the DVR on to, I could of used double sided tape, would of been quick and easy but I wanted to use as little double sided tape as possible, going to a hot country

bracket.png

then I sprayed lots of degreaser (the sort of stuff one uses to get a car engine clean from oils and grease) and left it on the bracket for a good 10 minutes the put it under running water for a further 5 or so minutes, I I wiped it with paper towel and left to dry for a good 30 minute while I got on with some day job work (from home)

the face of the bracket that I was going to place the 3M pad to stick the bracket to the window, I masked it with masking tape, so when paint spraying, I wasn’t going to get paint on that part as I wanted the 3M tape to stick to metal ,not the paint that might come off at a later day

then once the bracket was dry I gave it there coats of spray primer, 10 minutes between coats, the last coat of primer was placed in the kitchen oven for 20 minutes oven set to 50c - 70c, then a further spray of 3 coats of black paint, the last coat was placed in our kitchen oven like the prima was, 50c - 70c for 20 minutes

P1180390-SMALL-.jpg

once the masking tape taken off the face, showing the 20mm aperture for the lens

P1180394-SMALL-.jpg

DVR attached to the bracket

P1180398-SMALL-.jpg

P1180401-SMALL-.jpg

P1180403-SMALL-.jpg

showing where the 3M pad will go, as I’ve not yet stuck the pad on to the fracker I’ve yet to cut out the 20mm aperture out of the pad

P1180405-SMALL-.jpg

showing that this bracket can also be used as my old one was

P1180410-SMALL-.jpg

or at different angles, if your rear screen is at an angle as like on almost every car

P1180412-SMALL-.jpg

it your rear screen has a strong drop angle, no need to cut out the 20mm hole like I have and instead of having the lip 35mm tall, you could go for a shorter lip like maybe 15mm or 20mm

P1180413-SMALL-.jpg

fitted

P1180441-SMALL-.jpg

P1180442-SMALL-.jpg

here is short clip of when it fixed to the rear window, there is very slight vignetting in the top corners, but only noticeable due to the sun hitting it straight on

And talking of the sun hitting it straight on, I’m please with how the lens handles lens flare, the evening sun was low in the sky and at places is in direct view of the lens

no sign of shaking/vibrations from the rear camera, as there isn’t much softness in the Elise shock absorbers/dampeners, the car is a bone shaker for sure and most things in the car will shake/vibrate

this isn’t the full fat file but a youtube file so quality will be lower

when the 0906 was in the family car (Ford Fiesta) both cameras captured shake free footage,

the front mount on the 0906 is far better than the mount on the 0806 but still after a few weeks the side furthest from the mount, showed a slight dip to the opposite end of the bracket, this didn’t take anything away from image quality but was noticeable

I’ll be taking the 0906 with me on my holiday with (hopefully) lots of hot weather, so like I did on the 0806, I thought I’d add support for the camera body

I was lucky in that I had an ABS box from a past project I hadn’t used and cut that up to form a side support bracket for the camera body

this is the face/side that is going to be stuck to the underside of the GPS/mount, I drilled a few indents to give the epoxy resin something to grip to

P1180498-SMALL-.jpg

on one of the indents I accidentally went right through the ABS, so thought I’d drill 3 more holes right through to give the epoxy resin more grip

as the camera also has the power button on that side I had to make a hole to still have access to it

P1180495-SMALL-.jpg

P1180500-SMALL-.jpg

a few dry runs while adapting the ABS box to fit the GPS mount

P1180501-SMALL-.jpg

P1180503-SMALL-.jpg

making sure the power button can be got to

P1180504-SMALL-.jpg

P1180508-SMALL-.jpg

After putting just a little drop of epoxy resin on the new support bracket I used one of these plastic spring clamps

spring.jpg

also placing a slither of polythene between the clamp and the underside of the new bracket to stop any epoxy resin that seeped out of the four holes, sticking to the clamp (I didn’t take a photo of this) a little of the epoxy seeped out the sides and I wiped it off as best I could then I put it to the side for four hours to dry, takes 24 hours to dry fully

After the four hours I took the plastic spring clamp and polythene slither off the bracket

P1180513-SMALL-.jpg

P1180515-SMALL-.jpg

P1180517-SMALL-.jpg

P1180519-SMALL-.jpg

P1180523-SMALL-.jpg

P1180529-SMALL-.jpg

once I re fit the 0906 to the windscreen of the Elise, I’ll see if it’ll need a counter bracket at the opposite end to balance out the camera

mollydog made really a lot of excellent mods

Back