My Mobius 2 / M2

Harsh

Reaction score
Country
India
In the four months I've had the M1, its versatility and reliability has left me mighty impressed. In pursuit of better night-time quality while keeping the same form-factor, I've been following the support and footage threads for the M2 regularly.

With dual-exposure being dropped (at least for now), I'm assuming that the developers are in familiar territory and the pace of the development should pick up. In this hope I've decided to take the plunge a lot earlier than I had originally planned to.

Unboxing and initial impression

The M2 feels like a downgrade to the M1's rubberised housing, rather cheap and plasticky.

M2.png

Looks better but I'd happily take the M1's external heat sink over losing some of the mounting options possible with the sleeve and the gap on the M1's housing that the mounting sleeve slides into.

M3.png

M4.png

M7.png

The warranty sticker is an eyesore and its location diminishes the stealth factor.

M6.png

Much easier to pop-out the micro SD in comparison to the M1.

M5.png

M8.png

M1.png

Ready to mount.

M9.png

Last edited:
All videos added to this thread will utilise only the latest available publicly released firmware.

Current firmware - 2.02.

1080p @ 30fps, WDR - On, Metering - Multi-spot, Bitrate - highest (CBR)

Daytime

Daytime - Turns mushy under trees and then recovers.

Flashing/flicker

1080p @ 30fps, WDR - Off, Metering - Multi-spot, Bitrate - highest (CBR)

Flashing/flicker WDR off

Night-time without WDR is actually not that bad.

Last edited:
All videos added to this thread will utilise only the latest available publicly released firmware.

Current firmware - 2.02.

1080p @ 30fps, WDR - On, Metering - Multi-spot, Bitrate - highest (CBR)

Daytime

Daytime - Turns mushy under trees and then recovers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/alt0kn2srcuffge/mush.mp4?dl=0

Flashing/flicker

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb0cuqhfytg5fd6/flashing1.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yq30po0i3f9plir/flashing 2.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6nzsi577a12riju/flashing3.mp4?dl=0

Flashing/flicker WDR off

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvy1j9ugil8g496/flashingnowdr.mp4?dl=0

The night time flickering should be fixed in the next firmware update, coming soon.

I agree that the night time video without WDR enabled is acceptable, probably more useful than with WDR turned on.

Will you be comparing videos from the M2 and the M1?

That's good news. :)

With WDR it's horrendous in low-light, and that's putting it lightly.

Do intend on mounting the M2 in the rear next to the M1 and it eventually taking the M1's place but not until there's substantial night-time improvement.

Maybe then..

Last edited:
No two ways about that but still got a long way to go.

Daytime - sunny

Quite pleased with the performance during the day with WDR turned off. :)

Last edited:
The M2 badly needs some shades. :cool: Waiting for the new CPL's from SG and Viofo.

vlcsnap-2016-11-25-11h07m27s472.png

vlcsnap-2016-11-25-11h12m42s925.png

In the four months I've had the M1, its versatility and reliability has left me mighty impressed. In pursuit of better night-time quality while keeping the same form-factor, I've been following the support and footage threads for the M2 regularly.

With dual-exposure being dropped (at least for now), I'm assuming that the developers are in familiar territory and the pace of the development should pick up. In this hope I've decided to take the plunge a lot earlier than I had originally planned to.

Unboxing and initial impression

The M2 feels like a downgrade to the M1's rubberised housing, rather cheap and plasticky.
Looks better but I'd happily take the M1's external heat sink over losing some of the mounting options possible with the sleeve and the gap on the M1's housing that the mounting sleeve slides into.
The warranty sticker is an eyesore and its location diminishes the stealth factor.
Much easier to pop-out the micro SD in comparison to the M1.
Ready to mount.
I agree that the M2 doesn't 'feel' as good as the M1. My first impression was the same as yours. However, I now find the case much more practical.
After a year or two the M1 rubberized case becomes quite sticky. Not a nice feeling at all. The #16 does the same, BTW. Only time will tell if the M2 does the same.
It is much easier to attach velcro to the M2 than the M1.
I believe all the Mobius cameras have the warranty sticker in a similar position. Where else could you put them? Are they necessary? You'll break the seal anyway if you want to change the battery or adjust the lens.
As far as the mounting is concerned, I think both cameras have their good points and their bad points. It really depends on how you want to mount your camera.

When i buy a thing from china. I never thing about warranty or exchange. :) even i am in vietnam. Just about 1000 km from Shenzhen. So the warranty sticker doesnt matter at all.

I took the warranty sticker off mine on the first day as I wanted to look inside, and I also have a capacitor to swap for the battery. However I find the battery makes testing easier.

Quite pleased with the performance during the day with WDR turned off. :)
I found the dynamic range without WDR is not bad, so for now I'm leaving WDR off both day and night. I think the WDR effect is currently a bit too strong and also introduces colour shifts at times.

I agree that the M2 doesn't 'feel' as good as the M1. My first impression was the same as yours. However, I now find the case much more practical.
After a year or two the M1 rubberized case becomes quite sticky. Not a nice feeling at all. The #16 does the same, BTW. Only time will tell if the M2 does the same.
I believe all the Mobius cameras have the warranty sticker in a similar position. Where else could you put them? Are they necessary? You'll break the seal anyway if you want to change the battery or adjust the lens.
As far as the mounting is concerned, I think both cameras have their good points and their bad points. It really depends on how you want to mount your camera.

Will take your word on the longevity of the rubberised case, I've had it just for 4 months.

I did have to tear off the sticker on the M1 to install the capacitor, which I haven't yet done with the M2. I'm sure a better location for the sticker can be managed on the sides or over the screw holes.

The gap/groove on the M1's housing allows me to use a FPV mount in the rear, which won't be possible with the M2. The helmet mount should suffice till I can come up with something better.

mobiush8-png.26573

Last edited:
I'll have to dig out my first Mobius A, and take some pics of the rubberized coating 'worn off' from handling and use over 2.5-3 years. (it's been hiding for a month or so) I can't get excited about the 2, yet. :(

I dont think the M2 will ever be something special, it is after all just a mobius 1 with 1080/60 ( as requested by so many ) and better low light performance.

And we will only see this when the M2 have been tweaked more.

Now if the M2 had been 4 K/30 in this little form factor, then it would indeed have been something to get exited about for the people using for its main purpose as a action camera.

But as is it will just be a better more up to date mobius 1, and thats okay by me.

I am testing my camera in the car, but i actually got it to use as a action camera, its just i drive a whole lot more than i play with my toys, not least this time of the year.

I dont think the M2 will ever be something special, it is after all just a mobius 1 with 1080/60 ( as requested by so many ) and better low light performance.

Now if the M2 had been 4 K/30 in this little form factor, then it would indeed have been something to get exited about for the people using for its main purpose as a action camera.

But as is it will just be a better more up to date mobius 1, and thats okay by me.

I am testing my camera in the car, but i actually got it to use as a action camera, its just i drive a whole lot more than i play with my toys, not least this time of the year.
My boys had fun playing with the M2 for the first time this week, attaching it to their toys then playing back the videos on their tablet. Far more fun for me too than tinkering with a dashcam!

Of the numerous different Mobius 1 cameras or cases I've owned none have ever had the rubber finish become even slightly sticky. This includes one I carry in my pocket most of the time and have for over a year that sees regular use as a voice memo recorder, video and still camera. This "sticky" business is something I have not heard of before nor experienced with any siliconized rubber coated products I own.

I agree that the new M2 doesn't have an appealing "feel" in the hand but it is more than the hard plastic shell. The Mobius 1's top mounted control buttons have an intuitive thumb operated functionality that is ergonomically masterful and help give the camera that "feel" we all appreciate . The M2 not only doesn't feel as good in the hand it is an ergonomic disaster if one wants to use the camera in the hand. The side mounted buttons are quite awkward to use to operate the camera in the hand and the buttons are literally backwards. If the power-on button where at least positioned on the front of the camera so that it could be thumb operated it would have facilitated one handed operation with far better ergonomics even with the poorly placed side mounted buttons.

Last edited:

That's all I need and expect from the M2.

Will be getting a Git 3 for action cam usage once it's out.

Of the numerous different Mobius 1 cameras or cases I've owned none have ever had the rubber finish become even slightly sticky. This includes one I carry in my pocket most of the time and have for over a year that sees regular use as a voice memo recorder, video and still camera. This "sticky" business is something I have not heard of before nor experienced with any siliconized rubber coated products I own.

I agree that the new M2 doesn't have an appealing "feel" in the hand but is is more than the hard plastic shell. The Mobius 1's top mounted control buttons have an intuitive thumb operated functionality that is ergonomically masterful and help give the camera that "feel" we all appreciate . The M2 not only doesn't feel as good in the hand it is an ergonomic disaster if one wants to use the camera in the hand. The side mounted buttons are quite awkward to use to operate the camera in the hand and the buttons are literally backwards. If the power-on button where at least positioned on the front of the camera so that it could be thumb operated it would have facilitated one handed operation with far better ergonomics even with the poorly placed side mounted buttons.

I guess it totally depends on how the M1's being handled. I've only had the handle of a pair of scissors that's siliconised wear out like described by isoprop and dash_riposki.

Do agree on the ergonomics bit but not really an issue if used just as a dash cam.

Last edited:
Back