My Mobius melted

Spinball

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius & Panorama II S
Well, the case is warped at least.
This was mounted on the windscreen with the capacitor replacement for the battery.
It was in the standard mount which means I didn't notice it had warped at first.
It still works. Should I contact JooVuu where I purchased it from?
Check it out.
P1040016.JPG

Blimey - how hot has it been where you are?!

Looks sun affected rather than an internal problem
Oh the sun had an effect, definitely. We were driving round the west coast of America.

You could contact JooVuu and see if they might do something for you but I'm not sure what happened is really their fault or even Mobius' fault. This is a relatively rare problem but it's been known to happen under certain conditions.

Banggood sells a Mobius replacement case for $2.99 USD.
JooVuu sells the replacement case for the Mobius for £4.80 ($7.96)

Last edited:
I'm not criticising Mobius or blaming JooVuu. Actually I'm impressed that the Mobius worked ok considering that we used it in the locations we did.

I'm not criticising Mobius or blaming JooVuu. Actually I'm impressed that the Mobius worked ok considering that we used it in the locations we did.

I wasn't suggesting that you were being critical or blaming anyone. I was really just responding to your question about whether to contact JooVuu about what happened. They may be interested to know, regardless. :)

123 degrees F - Yikes!

Just swap the case and you're good to go. 123 degrees outside temp? Did you try cooking breakfast on the pavement?

I really want to do that trip at some point - last time we did Area 51 when we were in Vegas but it was a bit of a let down!

I hope you took a few memory cards :)

I'd suggest trying some external heat sinks.

One of my Mobius has survived an Aussie summer with temps up to 45 C temp - left in the car, with the car always out in the weather. The only mod has been two small stick on heat sinks. The battery has also survived 12mths and still has decent capacity.

I'd suggest trying some external heat sinks.

One of my Mobius has survived an Aussie summer with temps up to 45 C temp - left in the car, with the car always out in the weather. The only mod has been two small stick on heat sinks. The battery has also survived 12mths and still has decent capacity.

Can you post a link of what you used? I actually just rubber-banded a bent paperclip to the top of the camera across the sinks - no idea if it helps enough to make a difference, but cheap for sure!

I live in Atlanta and it pretty routinely gets 90F+ here (35C+), so I always put a sun-screen on the windscreen when I'm parked, and generally have some airflow over the camera when driving. A very cheap "shade" for the camera when driving is just a Post-It note on the windscreen. And it's movable.

There have been a few different heatsink ideas posted:
attachment.php

mobius-heat-sink-jpg.1547

DSC_4671.jpg

Mine:
imag1239-small-jpg.1762

imag1240-small-jpg.1763

Mine are the type used on PC motherboards for cooling (I think on RAM?) They're self adhesive and very easy to fit.

Two threads that might be of interest to you:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/the-mobius-heat-issues.2392/
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-thermal-tests.3423/

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the feeling that the plastic used in the Mobius case is not THAT impervious to direct heat. i.e SUN. I left the mount out on a table yesterday and it was JUST starting to warp - I dropped a brick on it and cooled it down with water. Heatsinks wont fix that unless it's a ruddy big one that also provides shade. I'm working on one using a CPU heatsink and a small fan.

I can only tell you my own experience. Three Mobius that are all ~ 12mths old. One lives in the windscreen of a vehicle that is ALWAYS parked outside with no shelter- during Summer the outside temps reached up to 45 degrees C, 40 degrees C was very common. I'd hate to think what that would mean inside the vehicle, let alone at the windscreen. The case has not warped at all, even the battery has plenty of live left in it and hasn't bulged. A reflective sunscreen is normally placed inside the front windscreen, but the Mobius is not protected by it. (The Mobius is mounted on the rear view mirror arm, between the windscreen and back of rear view mirror.)

Perhaps the type of plastic used to make then has changed?

When the Mobius is operating, the heatsinks get too hot to touch - which tells me they are doing a great job at drawing the heat from the Mobius.

Back