My new 612 thoughts

Rickn55

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 622 4k + rwc, 522, 322, 612 4K and 312 x2
I decided to upgrade from my Nextbase 312GW to the 612GW. Had no immediate intention of upgrading just yet but the last year or so had my eye on the 612 as a potential upgrade until last week when I nipped in Halfords for a few bits and seen the 612 on offer for £109, I know it was £250 when it first came out and been £199 most of the time for the last year or so, for £109 (I know it's end of line as the new 2 series are out) I couldn't resist along with the Nextbase 128GB Class 10 U3 Micro SD Card to go with it so everything works fine which was half price from £65 if bought with a Nextbase Dashcam which bought the price of the SD Card inline with the Sandisk Extreme 128GB U3's off Amazon.
First initial thoughts when unboxing was the weight, fell and build quality over the 312 which is night and day in quality imo (Not that there's anything up with the 312 it is still a brilliant bit of kit) The outer metal feel casing is a nice touch along with the polarised lense which give it an expensive look, Next up was switching her on and immediately loved the touch screen which works very well along with the spoken notifications when you press something. Very impressive along with the picture quality which as expected for 4k UHD is a step above the 312, I fail to see where the criticism comes from mine is crystal clear in the day pics number plates of passing cars up brilliantly the night picture is decent aswell imo, Night pics on cameras are always a bit crap imo especially if there isn't much lighting but the 612 is better than I was expecting considering some of the criticism I've read about the night picture quality I'm very happy with it, Also the GPS speed limit display screensaver is a great touch I really like that on! My only negative is the sound quality it records when you have music on especially anything with a bit of bass it sounds all distorted on the playback videos as anybody else had this issue? The 312 never had any trouble with sound distortion no matter how loud the music was.

Below I've attached a few full screen sceenshots of footage from my laptop of the 612, The rear facing ones are my 312.
Go easy on me it's the first time I've done one of these review type posts :)

Screenshot (85).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (81).png
    Screenshot (81).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot (89).png
    Screenshot (89).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot (75).png
    Screenshot (75).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot (77).png
    Screenshot (77).png
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot (88).png
    Screenshot (88).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot (87).png
    Screenshot (87).png
    756.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot (86).png
    Screenshot (86).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • c1cbf073f77d47a6243afee7ace968bc.jpg
    c1cbf073f77d47a6243afee7ace968bc.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20191005_163443.jpg
    20191005_163443.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 12
We took my daughter for her first swim in the Marriott not far from Fosse Park when we were down for a 40th, she decided to poo in the pool and as we were getting her out in a mad panic someone came running in and dived in before we could stop them. They seemed ok afterwards but I've never been in a pool since that day :ROFLMAO:

We took my daughter for her first swim in the Marriott not far from Fosse Park when we were down for a 40th, she decided to poo in the pool and as we were getting her out in a mad panic someone came running in and dived in before we could stop them. They seemed ok afterwards but I've never been in a pool since that day [emoji23]
Good to know [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Anybody else with a 612 having trouble with the sound quality when music is playing, It is almost as if it can't take anything with bass and breaks up? Never had this problem with my 312 you could have music as loud as you liked and it never broke up like this? Had another try earlier with the car still on my driveway and still all breaks up. Might return this to Halfords and ask for an exchange as I'm not happy with the sound doing this, the music wasn't even that loud in this video tbh.

Update on my 612. I was advised to take it back to Halfords by Nextbase for an exchange as the suspected sound problem could be down to hardware, Took it back and Halfords had no more in as it's discontinued and had been took off their website so I got refunded and no other shops had any in stock either so I was a bit gutted and was searching everywhere online for one that wasn't either 2nd hand or a daft price and stuck the 312 GW back in the front windscreen. And then out of the blue Nextbase messaged me yesterday morning (while I was cleaning the car funnily enough) and said they were going to send me a new 612GW 4K out. I was genuinely shocked and not at all expecting it as I already thought their help in the matter had been top notch before this! I can't thank them enough for their generosity and for sending me spare sticky windscreen mounts and GPS reciever also all for free.
Thank you Nextbase (Millie I think it is who I spoke to). Fantastic company that looks after their customers which is a rarity these days. This is my 2nd Dashcamoff Nextbase, My parents also have 312s and we will sure always use Nextbase in the future too. Just been to buy another 128GB SD Card for it [emoji108]

On a side note after explaining to the chap at Halfords the fault not sure why he's put "Not needed/wanted" on the reason for return for the Dashcam instead of Faulty ?
cff34e85e7aff25b2c0eded20cda898c.jpg
ec2a3eb6c3940d063a412a3142aada3b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Just a quick video of my replacement 612. All is working spot on now the sound is working perfect as the video shows. Excuse the picture quality YouTube has really killed the quality, on my laptop full screen the video is crystal clear.

After a few days use, I'm very happy with the 612 it is a great piece of kit. All tho my replacement came with Firmware 5.3 so had to update it straight away to R06.8 which was easy enough. Picture quality is brilliant, liking the spoken instructions and my favourite part of the dashcam is the screen saver that shows your GPS speed limit.

Currently using a Sandisk Extreme Class 10 u3 128GB SD Card. Currently got a Nextbase 128GB SD Card on order from Amazon so I have one spare for it.
Top marks to Nextbase very happy!

Last edited:
Nice to see a good story.

Every manufacturer will have defective pieces, it's the same for thousands and thousands of products in every genre world wide.

Sadly, most people only take to forums and social media to complain and boy, can they!!!

If you were able to accurately take into account and know how many units are sold with no issues, compared the number of faulty ones, I'm sure we would find the faulty ones would number very few in the grand scheme of things. We should all bare that in mind.

Well done Millie for making someones day!

I have the 612GW - possibly the first one outside of their company to use one in a vehicle (I reviewed it on here) and I agree, it's a great dashcam.

Paul.

Nice to see a good story.

Every manufacturer will have defective pieces, it's the same for thousands and thousands of products in every genre world wide.

Sadly, most people only take to forums and social media to complain and boy, can they!!!

If you were able to accurately take into account and know how many units are sold with no issues, compared the number of faulty ones, I'm sure we would find the faulty ones would number very few in the grand scheme of things. We should all bare that in mind.

Well done Millie for making someones day!

I have the 612GW - possibly the first one outside of their company to use one in a vehicle (I reviewed it on here) and I agree, it's a great dashcam.

Paul.
I agree with all what you've said Paul! Spot on that is.
Nextbase have been brilliant! I honestly cannot fault them at all for how they have helped me out. Other companies should take a leaf out of Nextbase's book on how to look after their customers. I've had my 312 (mine is now retired to the rear window tho) for the last 4 years (My Dad has one in his car too) and I'm sure the 612 will keep going as long as well. I'll always stick with Nextbase in the future for sure, especially after how they have looked after me.

Hey guys. Sorry to jump on post. Do any of you know how i can edit videos and add videos together as i do greenlaning so want make videos of my trip

Hey guys. Sorry to jump on post. Do any of you know how i can edit videos and add videos together as i do greenlaning so want make videos of my trip
Do you also have a 612, or a different series Dash Cam?

So the 612 has a video viewing and editing app called Cam Viewer. If you use the Cam Viewer app, you'll be able to edit the recordings you've taken on your Dash Cam, however unfortunately you can't stitch them together to form one clip.

Millie

So the 612 has a video viewing and editing app called Cam Viewer. If you use the Cam Viewer app, you'll be able to edit the recordings you've taken on your Dash Cam, however unfortunately you can't stitch them together to form one clip.

Millie
Ok thanks. What dash cam does have something that i can stitch them together please

Unfortunately none of our Dash Cam softwares will allow you to stitch videos together, but all will allow video editing of individual files. I'd recommend a completely separate Video Editing Program to stitch footage together. I'll leave it up to you to decide which on-line software is best for you.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Ok thanks. What dash cam does have something that i can stitch them together please
I don't think any of them do. If you want video, then get a video camera. A GoPro should suit.

you can drop your files into any video editing software and have XX clips come out as one long recording.
For instance you can use the video editor that are now in windows 10 if you are on that, but for this to work the camera cant have a overlap between the individual segments.

Last edited:
I have stitched a short video together using my video editing software, they are much the same most of them.
First i import too many files into the software, then i drop them on the time line in order, and remove the sound, then i go to export ( produce ) where i select the output format to be the same as the video clips i am editing.
Then i start to export only to realize i have put too many segments in the video, so i abandon the export, go back and delete all but 3 clips, and then i go to export again.
I then playback the finished result, and in there at the 6 minute mark ( of the output file ) ( 6:20 in the YouTube video ) you can see a "lag" on the cars in the background of the video as this camera do have a overlap, and so with cameras like that you will have to remove that overlap to get proper seamless footage, and that can be a pain if you have many files.
And this camera don't have the 1 second sharp overlap as they did have in the old days, which made it easy back then cuz you just had to cut the first 30 frames / 1 second of each video segment to make it appear smooth.

Good thing is many modern cameras don't have this silly overlap, i am unsure why this model have it.

Some more footage in 4k from my Nextbase 612 driving over the Severn Bridge. After having used the 612 for the last few months it has been an immense bit of kit the recording quality is brilliant!

Last edited:
Man thats update is crazy A lot of new thing, in fact its almost a new gameplay Still getting used to it but hope Ill adopt faster than our enemies

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alarm man 612GW 25