My new mini0806 question and problem

ghines

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A119S
Hi all,

Just received my new mini0806 from foxoffer and the first thing I did was upgrade to the Jan16, 2015 firmware.

Probably a silly question but how do you put spaces in the Driver Number Stamp?

Also when powering via the mounting bracket, with the Green Light setup to GPS Status, I never get the light to come ON. Also no GPS logs are created. And Yes, GPS Stamping is set to ON.

If I change the Green Light setup to MIC, I can toggle the light ON/OFF by enabling and disabling the MIC. Hence the light is working.

A side question - Does GPS work if the 0806 is powered directly? ie: Not via the mount. I would have thought not.

TIA

Greg

Edit: Just noticed only one of the mini USB sockets on the mounting bracket will power ON the camera.

Edit2: There is no GPS icon on the LHS of the screen either. Hmmmmmm... Me wonder if this unit has been supplied without a GPS. However I thought they all came with GPS as standard.

Last edited:
Seems I'm not the only one with GPS and power issues on the 0806.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2015/1/19/mini-0806-and-sj5000-have-arrived.html

Extract from the above link:-
It wouldn't receive power or GPS data from the new mount supplied with it or the mounts from my pre-production version. This confirmed the fault was with the camera and not the mount. I checked the wiring and saw no obvious issues. I also noticed that the buttons and case felt a lot cheaper than those on the pre production version I received last year and the rotating mount was difficult to move. I did successfully update the firmware on it to the 16th January 2015 version which suggests to me that the camera wasn't a fake even though it felt and acted like one.

A side question - Does GPS work if the 0806 is powered directly? ie: Not via the mount. I would have thought not.
Yes, it will work, but you obviously need the base attached or you would not have a receiver.

If you have an old mini 0801/0803 base then try it in that. If the base feels very light then it may be a no gps base.

No one knows how to add spaces to the Driver Number Stamp?

I just got my 0806 and noticed I cant power it on using the micro ports on the mount. Only works when connected to the micro on the camera. Anybody else?

Just got my 0806 too and one mount port does not work and the other is intermittent. Seems to be related to which cable I use and how it is plugged in.

BTW - If you power on your camera via the USB on the camera with the mount already plugged in do you get a GPS icon on the LHS of the screen?

Greg

Just got my 0806 too and one mount port does not work and the other is intermittent. Seems to be related to which cable I use and how it is plugged in.

BTW - If you power on your camera via the USB on the camera with the mount already plugged in do you get a GPS icon on the LHS of the screen?

Greg

What does the gps icon look like? none of the mount ports work.

Look in the manual for the GPS icon.
Makes no difference that the mount does not work, just do as I ask and report back.

I think most people use the underscore character instead.

GPS icon looks like a satellite dish pointing at the sky.

Check that the camera is fully on the mount - there should be no gap left.

Some people have reported that the first time it is connected, the mount should be powered on before the camera is inserted.

The camera should fully work when powered via the camera power connecter, it just looks less tidy and makes it inconvenient to remove from the mount.

There do seem to be some problems with this first small batch of cameras and mounts, they seem to be mostly connected with improvements made since the prototypes. I'm sure they will get sorted, hopefully before the second batch arrives. The prototypes have proved reliable, it is worth persevering.

ghines, connect the power cable to the mount when camera is inserted into it and wait more than 5 minutes and look if the icon will appear later.
I see you have also the Mini 0803, will the icon appear when using the 0803 mount?

enjoy,
Mtz

Nope, are two steps:
- camera connected, no icon, wait some time, icon appear
- icon on the screen, waiting for GPS connection with satellites, a little later connected.

Inside GPS mount there is a battery. Seems that it is charging from the Micro USB power source. o_O

enjoy,
Mtz

Nope, are two steps:
- camera connected, no icon, wait some time, icon appear
- icon on the screen, waiting for GPS connection with satellites, a little later connected.

Inside GPS mount there is a battery. Seems that it is charging from the Micro USB power source. o_O

enjoy,
Mtz
the battery on the GPS is an RTC battery so the GPS can store Ephemeris and Almanac data, I use the same model GPS on one of our cameras, it's picked up instantly by the camera, if there's some delay to this happening then they've got something wrong and it needs to be looked at, taking a minute or so to get signal from a cold start is normal but recognising the GPS should have no delay at all

Reactions: Mtz
The 0805 mount on the same 0806 camera is showing instantly the GPS icon. I don't have two Mini 806 GPS mounts to test if only one have this problem or both.

Also I want space, but only underscore is available. Maybe this is some Ambarella thing.
I have a Novatek camera which is not offering any space or underscore. So stupid from chipset creators to not offer such dumbless things.

enjoy,
Mtz

The 0805 mount on the same 0806 camera is showing instantly the GPS icon. I don't have two Mini 806 GPS mounts to test if only one have this problem or both.

enjoy,
Mtz

have noticed quite a few people having issues with the mount and GPS that seem to have affected the first batch that has gone out, how many out of the 500 are impacted is hard to say but quite a few reports already, hopefully it's worked out prior to this next lot going out, second production is a lot larger

But do you think can be a battery problem? I see is not replaceable and looks soldered to the + part. Maybe the heat from soldering can destroy the battery?

enjoy,
Mtz

Back