My new SG9665XS, question about version

Edgardo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665XSV1 SG9665XSV2
Just received a new SG9665XS sold by Street Guardian and "Fulfilled by Amazon". I see a version 1.00.07 is that the latest version? Are there any video settings other than 50/60 Hz and NTSC/PAL for your older analog TV (kind of surprised it still has that) .

This replaces a DOD LS300 that, sadly, I screwed up in my attempt to replace the dead internal battery.

2016 0804 10:50

Thanks!

It's not for old analog TV sets and don't be surprised because it's still being used today: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/why-have-ntsc-pal-menu-selection.21773/. ;)
One of the meanings of XS is "extra simple": if some things are not available on the menus it's because they don't need to be.

No record video options. A basic setting, something I thought was standard... oh well. Had I known that I probably would have looked elsewhere. I actually prefer 720P 60 FPS for my purpose, yields better still frames in playback. I am still within the refund time with Amazon Prime, so this "XS" might just go back before my 30 days are up.

What I DO really like about this SG9665XS is the size compared to my old LS300W and all black which hides it nicely. Nothing bright and shiny to attract attention. And the lens barrel is a perfect size to fit inside the ring of my polarizing filter I used on the old LS300 as seen in my avatar. A bit of thin felt tape holds it in place. So it's definitely got its pluses.

No record video options. A basic setting, something I thought was standard... oh well. Had I known that I probably would have looked elsewhere. I actually prefer 720P 60 FPS for my purpose, yields better still frames in playback. I am still within the refund time with Amazon Prime, so this "XS" might just go back before my 30 days are up.
And what makes you think the XS would have 720p@60fps if there were more options in the Video Resolution menu? Besides, I don't think any camera based off this hardware has true 60fps (usually it's 30fps with each frame doubled) or that they would record better in 720p than in 1080p.

maybe it was better on the LS300 than their 1080p, in my experience the 720p60 in these was inferior to the 1080p, none of our models offer any setting lower than 1080p

I figured 720p60 was a pretty common standard. I guess not in the SG cam world!

What made me think there would be that or any video resolution option? Before I bought it, I watched a demo video on YouTube which showed a menu selection that was set to 1080P 30 FPS so I naturally thought since it was there, entering that would give more options.

Attachments

• sg9665-videosize-ytv.jpg
    sg9665-videosize-ytv.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 11
it's not a menu option, it just displays what the resolution is, the main reason people are generally interested in 720p is to get longer recording time, rather than spend time trying to get 720p looking good enough to be workable (the 720p isn't great on these) to try and achieve that we spent the effort on file system, you can use larger cards without a problem, eg put a 200gb card in our camera and format it and get well over 24 hours of recording time

No big deal. I was just curious why that appears in the menu settings if it's not. The front display when it's running shows the resolution. I appreciate the explanation jokiin.

In case anyone else is curious, I was, about power consumption or parasitic drain while this camera is connected, but powered "off", it is a very low .006 to .008 mA.
I wanted to know this so I could turn it off with the power button without disconnecting the power plug from the unswitched lighter socket. I don't drive much these days, sometimes take the car out only once or twice a week. At that rate it won't have any significant effect on the car battery.

Other trivial measurements: Powered On and recording 160-170 mA. 100 mA playing. 130 mA in menu mode.

And you have to admit.. it's pretty cute sitting here on my table with it's filter attached with a AA battery for comparison....:D

Attachments

• sg9665-front-cor1.jpg
    sg9665-front-cor1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 106
I have a newer version just testing now, will make it available soon if all goes well
Is it an upgrade from the beta version we're testing now?

Got to drive with my new SG9665XS for a while today, and noticed the lens takes in a wider field than my old LS300W. In the same mount position, the SG cam with its "120°" viewing angle shows much more of the hood and top of dash, and top and bottom edges of the windshield than the LS300W lens spec'd at "140°". Seems to me the opposite would be true. Any comments on how the viewing angle is measured?

Got to drive with my new SG9665XS for a while today, and noticed the lens takes in a wider field than my old LS300W. In the same mount position, the SG cam with its "120°" viewing angle shows much more of the hood and top of dash, and top and bottom edges of the windshield than the LS300W lens spec'd at "140°". Seems to me the opposite would be true. Any comments on how the viewing angle is measured?

the angles are most often published as diagonal viewing angles and very often as the maximum offered by the lens, not the actual achieved viewing angle when combined with the particular sensor being used, it makes comparisons hard as there's no set standard unfortunately

The advertised LS300W's "140º" is the same as the G1W-H's, which is no more than 100º horizontal. In fact, the LS300W was only a branded and more expensive G1W-H.
I have another camera with the same hardware as the XS, an unbranded AT11DA, that has the same horizontal FoV but since the lenses are different, the AT's picture has more height and it's less curvy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Deacon SG9665XS 4
niko SG9665XS 18
F SG9665XS 9
alexsoll SG9665XS 15
Module 79L SG9665XS 82
Back