My new SG9665XS, question about version

this is with or without CPL filter?

Without. Tried with and without, made no difference in signal light color rendition.

Next time I go out I will put the filter on then remove it while recording at the first signal light I can stop at, for a direct comparison with & without.

Last edited:
Here are some samples as indicated.
RED GREEN no CFL.jpg

with-wo-cfl1.jpg

Last edited:
Another pic, with both "red" and "green" lights in same shot.

Red-Green2.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to tell what is what i must say.

Testing video from "Vimeo". At about 0:35 I remove the CPL filter. Problem is I don't see the expansion button to make it full screen when I attach it here.

I see what to do now.. click on "vimeo" in lower rt corner, then click full screen then 1080p to get the full picture in HD.

I guess I need to try and restore my old YouTube acct.

Last edited:
True but we can just click and watch it on vimeo, so no problemos at all :)

Its like from a far you can see the colors, but up close they tend to go pretty white, at least the laps thats see pretty strait on.

do you know what type of lights are used, traffic lights here show up in colour no problem, LED lights can look a bit whiter due to the flicker but there's no flicker in those lights so they won't be LED

do you know what type of lights are used, traffic lights here show up in colour no problem, LED lights can look a bit whiter due to the flicker but there's no flicker in those lights so they won't be LED
Actually they are almost all LED now. If an incandescent lamp fails it gets replaced with LED. Cities have been converting over for years to save maintenance costs. The newer ones are not nearly as obvious with a smooth diffused lens look compared to the first ones that had distinct clusters of LEDs.

Last edited:
ok, LED's normally flicker but maybe the effect is different in 60hz regions, we do see the flicker clearly here, they can look more white though as a result, I'll ask someone else there to test and see how it looks on this model

ok, LED's normally flicker but maybe the effect is different in 60hz regions, we do see the flicker clearly here, they can look more white though as a result, I'll ask someone else there to test and see how it looks on this model

I have an XS in the explorer I'll pull some footage and check out the stop lights.

It will be interesting to see the results of another "XS". Same thing happens whether clear bright sunny day or clowdy like today.

I wonder since these LED lights are many generations past the first, if they have a power supply that drives the LEDs with DC ? Looking on a GE web page about their "Incandescent Look" 14th gen drop-in replacements have a "New micro-controlled power supply". This GE with the diffused lens is what most of the ones around here look like. http://www.gelighting.com/LightingW...x-led-signals-120v-datasheet_tcm201-54219.pdf

Last edited:
the LED lights here show up with very poor colour rendition if viewed straight on (off axis the colours are as expected) but we get a lot of flicker so it's more obvious that they are LED

I don't have that problem either but the lights I have here to test are much lower than the ones on @Edgardo's samples. I don't know if the angle of capture has any influence on the way the sensor "sees" the colors.
The only "problem" I have is that the LED green lights appear blue on camera.

Maybe the one I got is out of calibration? If there's anything to calibrate.

I used to work on consumer tube type color cameras in the olden days. Those color cameras and portable VCRs that were popular before camcorders. Some of the alignments like gamma could affect the peak whites and colors. I don't know if CMOS sensors have such alignments in their setup now.

Looking at some of my old LS300W video, the red and green lights are a somewhat better especially on bright days, they don't look like white spotlights. I notice the lights brightness pulses a little bit at about a 1 sec rate with that camera. Don't see that with the XS. I was running the LS300 at 720 60 so that may show up the effect more.

LS300-redlights2.jpg

Last edited:
Have you noticed that the red light's reflection in the hood/bonnet has the right color, whereas the ones captured directly, except picture #3, are almost white?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Deacon SG9665XS 4
niko SG9665XS 18
F SG9665XS 9
alexsoll SG9665XS 15
Module 79L SG9665XS 82
Back