My new SG9665XS, question about version

Have you noticed that the red light's reflection in the hood/bonnet has the right color, whereas the ones captured directly, except picture #3, are almost white?
Rendering of colours isn't the issue, it's a challenge of LED based lighting

Which is the vast majority of all signal lights these days. Seems to me the camera should be able to compensate for those overexposed lights. I wonder if the originally planned Sony Exmor* sensor would have worked better. Videos I've seen using the Sony sensor at least produce a color tint to the signal lights.

(* I have seen a promo picture for the XS featuring the Sony Exmor sensor)

(* I have seen a promo picture for the XS featuring the Sony Exmor sensor)
Where? I've never heard the XS was intended to have one. It would totally defeat the intention of producing a budget camera.

Where? I've never heard the XS was intended to have one. It would totally defeat the intention of producing a budget camera.
Guess it depends on your definition of "budget". Budget to me would be a $50 to $100 cam. Considering the competition some with Sony sensors and even GPS in the $100-150 range. What intrigued me about this cam was the size discreteness and capacitor.

(I don't want to get in trouble with anyone about the picture I saved with the banner for the SX and Sony sensor. I think it was on Street Guardian's web site. There was apparently a change in plans. They missed fuzzing out "Sony Exmor". )

Last edited:
Which is the vast majority of all signal lights these days.

to compensate for the traffic lights it will then blow out the reds on brake lights, no problem during the day but it can be too much at night, it's about finding a balance

I've looked more in detail to some of the AT11's footage of traffic lights and I noticed the side lights also appear to be white but with a green or red halo around the white part. I never paid much attention to it because at a glance they don't look completely white, like in @Edgardo's XS captures. The top lights always have the correct color.

I'll take a look at the XS's files later on to see if I can find any traffic lights' footage to compare.

Last edited:
As it turned out I didn't have any footage but today I had to go to two of the nearby cities that have traffic lights and was able to capture them in all three colors. The screenshots show how the camera "sees" the lights at a distance and closer, I also included two screenshots of cars' brake lights and turn signals with normal bulbs and a screenshot of the last of the red traffic lights captured by the AT11DA for comparison.

1-Green at a distance 1.jpg 2-Green closer 1.jpg 3-Yellow at a distance.jpg 4-Yellow closer.jpg 5-Green at a distance 2.jpg 6-Green closer 2.jpg 7-Red at a distance 1.jpg 8-Red closer 1.jpg 9-Red at a distance 2.jpg 10-Red closer 2.jpg

Last edited:
10-Red closer AT11DA.jpg Brake lights 1.jpg Brake lights 2.jpg

The brake lights look exactly the same on the AT11DA.

What is that in the red light in the XS pic? Looks like a hook. Not shown in the AT version it's just solid red.

redlight170441.jpg

OT... Noticing all the TV antenna arrays. I guess over the air TV is pretty popular there? They show up a little more clearly with the XS, it looks like sharpness is set higher with the XS.

Last edited:
What is that in the red light in the XS pic? Looks like a hook. Not shown in the AT version it's just solid red.

View attachment 28072
It's just the way the camera "sees" the light from that angle.

OT... Noticing all the TV antenna arrays. I guess over the air TV is pretty popular there? They show up a little more clearly with the XS, it looks like sharpness is set higher with the XS.
Yes, terrestrial TV is traditionally the most accessible way of getting TV over here. We have digital TV since 2009 and we were the first country in Europe to use MPEG4 H.264 AVC. Many countries already had digital TV but they were using the "old" MPEG2 standard. Paid TV has grown a lot in recent years but it's not available everywhere, unless it's via satellite, and not everybody can afford it.

The XS's picture is definitely sharper but still a bit too sharp for my taste. In some lighting conditions, the number/license plates of stopped or oncoming vehicles are more difficult to read than on the AT.

Denmarks biggest over air digital provider named Boxer, have just been picked up by SE thats one of the companies that provide fiber connections in the southern part of Denmark ( SE = South Energy )

I cant recall what MUXes they use, but its not stunning bitrates they dish up with on the airwaves, and then we have the public station DR thats the only other station that transmit on air too.
My sisters BF have boxer, why i dont know when he have a nice fiber going into the house, the air signal is often lost and IQ is poor/moderate.

My cable provider is killing the FM radio in 2017, but i still have TV on the TV set with no box or card in the TV, so its just strait up DVB - C i have.

Go to one of the ghettos and you will see satellite dishes all over the damn place
7004182-paraboler-i-gellerup.jpeg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Deacon SG9665XS 4
niko SG9665XS 18
F SG9665XS 9
alexsoll SG9665XS 15
Module 79L SG9665XS 82
Back