My review of the G1W

kiwi

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
DVR-207
Really happy with this cam, I upgraded from the DVR207 to this.

Paid for it less then a week ago and it arrived in pretty much 4 days!

The quality of this little unit is unreal, am very happy with my purchase. Let me no what you think, i've turned the stamp date off.

[/quote]

One thing i'm curious about is, if I reduced the capacity to record at 720p but at 60fps, will that increase capacity? but will it impede quality? What would the benefits of doing this be?

One thing i'm curious about is, if I reduced the capacity to record at 720p but at 60fps, will that increase capacity? but will it impede quality? What would the benefits of doing this be?
The only real benefit I could thing of is if you intended to use this as more of a CCTV camera in your car and wanted to look over hours of footage later or if you were going on a trip and did not want to loose any footage. In 1080P (around 12 bit rate) the camera should hold roughly 6 hours on a 32GB card.

Really happy with this cam, I upgraded from the DVR207 to this.

Paid for it less then a week ago and it arrived in pretty much 4 days!

The quality of this little unit is unreal, am very happy with my purchase. Let me no what you think, i've turned the stamp date off.
[/quote]

Hi,
Thank you for the review. Which color did you get? Also, could you confirm the firmware #?
Thanks,

I'm glad it's working well, it's currently the best bang for the buck 1080P DashCam.

What did you use to edit the review video together? Is it all Youtube online editing tools, or Camtasia perhaps?

60fps would give you slow motion playback if played back on a 30fps timeline (not super slow-mo, but slower). May be useful for some situations, but you'd have to compare the quality of 720/1080 first before making this a viable option.

What did you use to edit the review video together? Is it all Youtube online editing tools, or Camtasia perhaps?
I use Sony Vegas Pro, once you've understood it, it's a great piece and you don't have to muck around with codecs with this camera, Sony Vegas recognizes the RAW files which is good.

Hi,
Thank you for the review. Which color did you get? Also, could you confirm the firmware #?
Thanks,[/quote]
I got Black, cannot confirm the Firmware but I tried to confirm with Estoore before it got sent. Regardless, it all seems in order and has all the features (exposure control, time out for the screen etc)

I received this camera last week and so far pleased. The manual is a bit sparse so I do have a few questions. It appears that to "protect" a segment so that it will not be overwritten, you press the small "mode" button on top of the unit. I am unclear if that stops the recording and if so how do you resume?
I mentioned in another post, the unit is promoted as having nightvision and IRmode is in the menu. This is likely a carrier over from another model as the LEDs are white light.
This is my first dashcam so now I know why so many of the review videos have the car hood in the shot. This reduces the sky predominating the frame altering the units sensitivity to light.
Is there a better manual out there?

It appears that to "protect" a segment so that it will not be overwritten, you press the small "mode" button on top of the unit. I am unclear if that stops the recording and if so how do you resume?

will protect the file on the fly, will continue to record

I mentioned in another post, the unit is promoted as having nightvision and IRmode is in the menu. This is likely a carrier over from another model as the LEDs are white light.

Poor translation I suspect, it offers decent results at night though

Is there a better manual out there?

haven't seen it if there is

The only real benefit I could thing of is if you intended to use this as more of a CCTV camera in your car and wanted to look over hours of footage later or if you were going on a trip and did not want to loose any footage. In 1080P (around 12 bit rate) the camera should hold roughly 6 hours on a 32GB card.

I did a quick test video. It was around 10 minutes long at 1080FHD, and consumed around 1GB of space. That's not even 5 hours.

If I set it for 10 minute loop, does it record over the same 10 minutes repeatedly, or does it fill the card, then start with replacing the oldest?

I did a quick test video. It was around 10 minutes long at 1080FHD, and consumed around 1GB of space. That's not even 5 hours.
Using the Recording Time Calculator from the main site I just ran the numbers. the total bit rate from my own G1W files are 12 393 kbps or 12.1025391 mbps witch shows six hours even although i have not real world tested it.

If I set it for 10 minute loop, does it record over the same 10 minutes repeatedly, or does it fill the card, then start with replacing the oldest?
Fills card and then starts replacing oldest.
I would recommend using 3 min clips. Other G1W owners have had issues with other length settings and using smaller clips makes it easier to find footage you may want to save even more so since this camera locks the entire file and not just a one min section like my Vico.

Fills card and then starts replacing oldest.
I would recommend using 3 min clips. Other G1W owners have had issues with other length settings and using smaller clips makes it easier to find footage you may want to save even more so since this camera locks the entire file and not just a one min section like my Vico.

Tested the loop today. Oddly enough, my G1W only offers up to a 5 minute loop. Maybe that changed with firmware version?

The 5 minute clips worked fine for me though. I was worried about gaps, but it turns out there's actually a fraction of a second overlap between clips. Using a Patriot Class 10 32gb.

Tested the loop today. Oddly enough, my G1W only offers up to a 5 minute loop. Maybe that changed with firmware version?

The 5 minute clips worked fine for me though. I was worried about gaps, but it turns out there's actually a fraction of a second overlap between clips. Using a Patriot Class 10 32gb.

I think mine offers 1/3/5, but i can't remember and it's in the car. Mine does the same thing though too with a second of over lap.

Back