My screen has gone black/dead after attempting firmware upgrade....help!

WePackedOurBags

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SJ5000X
What do I do? How do I get it working again? Hard reset or something maybe? HELP PLEASE!!

It's the SJCAM5000X

I'm on holiday and thought I was being clever by installing, what I thought, was new firmware. I could only find firmware for 5000x elite and just assumed it was the same camera. The moment I turned my phone on, the screen just stayed black, completely dead to the world. What do I do?

Thanks everyone

Hi Jokiin, sorry, I edited my post whilst you replied to me. Please see above

that's what I was afraid of, the lack of distinction between the various models doesn't help, poor coding on their behalf if they don't have different bootloaders on the different models to prevent the incorrect firmware from loading in the first place, you might be ok if you can get the correct firmware for your model and reload that, even if it's just a blackscreen now

There is always a way to recover a camera from wrong firmware upgrade.

Usually, you need to contact a manufacturer and ask for a correct file.

I recovered plenty of cameras thinking they were "dead". At the same time I broke many.

Just contact manufacturer, and they should give you loader file and firmware.

In most cases, you "revive" the camera with a loader first, then use a fw.

Elite and 5000X are completely different models. I can assume you will need a loader file from SJ4000+ actually.

Perhaps @sjcam_official and @TechTronic9000 (TechTronic is a master for camera recoveries)

Do not worry, I am sure its something that can be fixed.

Do not attempt anything that I stated, but I assume you will probably need an SJ4000+ or M10+ LD96660A to recover the camera, and install correct firmware.

But wait for official confirmation. Do not attempt it until someone can confirm.

What you may want to try is connecting the camera to the computer with the SD Card inside and the firmware on the card already. I believe the camera will come on and seek out the firmware then re-install it.

-Nate

There is always a way to recover a camera from wrong firmware upgrade.

Usually, you need to contact a manufacturer and ask for a correct file.

I recovered plenty of cameras thinking they were "dead". At the same time I broke many.

Just contact manufacturer, and they should give you loader file and firmware.

In most cases, you "revive" the camera with a loader first, then use a fw.

Elite and 5000X are completely different models. I can assume you will need a loader file from SJ4000+ actually.

Perhaps @sjcam_official and @TechTronic9000 (TechTronic is a master for camera recoveries)

Do not worry, I am sure its something that can be fixed.

Do not attempt anything that I stated, but I assume you will probably need an SJ4000+ or M10+ LD96660A to recover the camera, and install correct firmware.

But wait for official confirmation. Do not attempt it until someone can confirm.

Thanks Pavle, that looks to be the only way yeah. I looked through all the 'news' posts on the official sjcam website and found the post linking the v1.3 firmware needed for my camera, it's the Lts Edt one you see. Problem now is they have removed the link. I then emailed their support email that they posted within one of the comments but that's then bounced back as undeliverable, I guess they've changed email since then. I'll email the one supplied on their website and see what happens.

It's a shame I couldn't get this fixed before I head out to swim with dolphins in an hours time ;)

Thanks Pavle, that looks to be the only way yeah. I looked through all the 'news' posts on the official sjcam website and found the post linking the v1.3 firmware needed for my camera, it's the Lts Edt one you see. Problem now is they have removed the link. I then emailed their support email that they posted within one of the comments but that's then bounced back as undeliverable, I guess they've changed email since then. I'll email the one supplied on their website and see what happens.

It's a shame I couldn't get this fixed before I head out to swim with dolphins in an hours time ;)

Give me your email I can send you the 1.2.4 firmware.

-Nate

Did you do a firmware upgrade to v1.2.5?

Did you do a firmware upgrade to v1.2.5?
Yeah, I just followed the links for the SJ5000 on your website and it only came up with Firmware updates for the Elite. It's not too clear to be honest. I should have realised that it was the wrong one for it but I just assumed that if it's the wrong one then it just won't load properly. Never expected it to give me a blank screen and put my camera out of use

Yeah, I just followed the links for the SJ5000 on your website and it only came up with Firmware updates for the Elite. It's not too clear to be honest. I should have realised that it was the wrong one for it but I just assumed that if it's the wrong one then it just won't load properly. Never expected it to give me a blank screen and put my camera out of use

they seriously screwed up if they have the same bootloader on different models, it shouldn't allow you to install the incorrect firmware

I'm now starting another day where I could really do with using this camera yet I'm still no closer, I've had no acknowledgement or response to my email directly with SJCAM yet. Nathyn was kind enough to send me a link but it was in fact an Elite Firmware downgrade which also would not work as I need the link to v1.3 of the Limited Edition 2K 5000X. Does anybody else have this link?

Once again, I would advise you not to install anything except the files officially sent to you via the ticket, as it may void your warranty, as its good excuse for sellers to refuse a return.

I do not have this model, so I can only throw suggestions. I guess you already ****ed things up, so if you need camera urgently, you can try.

@TechTronic9000 has something here http://techtronic9000.blogspot.rs/2015/10/sjcam-sj5000x-limited-edition-firmware.html so if you think you know what you are doing, maybe that can help. File is located at the bottom of the page. Direct Link

I'm now starting another day where I could really do with using this camera yet I'm still no closer, I've had no acknowledgement or response to my email directly with SJCAM yet. Nathyn was kind enough to send me a link but it was in fact an Elite Firmware downgrade which also would not work as I need the link to v1.3 of the Limited Edition 2K 5000X. Does anybody else have this link?
Do you have the 5000X elite or the 5000X limited as from PM i understood that you have the elite ? They both have the same chip set but the image sensor is different. As we talked on PM if you have access to the menu but no image then is either a fault or it may be a firmware mix up. If you have the "limited" then you need to use the links @Pavle gave to you.

Once again, I would advise you not to install anything except the files officially sent to you via the ticket, as it may void your warranty, as its good excuse for sellers to refuse a return.

I do not have this model, so I can only throw suggestions. I guess you already ****ed things up, so if you need camera urgently, you can try.

@TechTronic9000 has something here http://techtronic9000.blogspot.rs/2015/10/sjcam-sj5000x-limited-edition-firmware.html so if you think you know what you are doing, maybe that can help. File is located at the bottom of the page. Direct Link

Yes, I have definitely ****ed things up, hence why I came on this forum for some friendly help. The link you provided me is exactly what I'm after, the 1.3 firmware for the 5000X Limited Edition model, thanks for this.

know I'm a newbie so what is the correct procedure here. should there be some kind of hard reset I do first for the camera to then register the new firmware on the card?

You mentioned earlier to revive the camera with a "loader file" ? Am I meant to use that first?

I'll PM TechTronic9000 for help

Do you have the 5000X elite or the 5000X limited as from PM i understood that you have the elite ? They both have the same chip set but the image sensor is different. As we talked on PM if you have access to the menu but no image then is either a fault or it may be a firmware mix up. If you have the "limited" then you need to use the links @Pavle gave to you.

Hi, it's definitely the Limited Edition version, not the Elite. I've just started a 'conversation' with you, would you be able to help me please?

should there be some kind of hard reset I do first for the camera to then register the new firmware on the card?
No, since it is dead, you can't do much except for formatting card inside the PC and copying the fw.

You mentioned earlier to revive the camera with a "loader file" ? Am I meant to use that first?
Correct, I can only guess if loader is needed or not. Manufacturer should be able to give you the answer, as I do not have experience with this model, sorry.
You can try a regular fw update with correct fw and see if that wakes the camera up.

It would be a good idea to post here what you did, so that other people facing similar issue in future can replicate the process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F SJCAM 13
K SJCAM 1
Back