my suggestions for DR750S-2CH

Adi Nistor

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hello all,
I just want to share with you the e-mail which I just sent to blackvue, with a list of suggestions:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I purchased recently DR750S-2ch and until now I'm very happy with it.
In order to demonstrate my gratitude, I gathered a set of suggestions which might make 750S even better :)

Here is the list, the order is random, i just put numbers for an easier tractability:

1.) Custom time for entering parking mode
- I would like to be able, from settings, to customize the 5 minutes time for entering parking mode after I stop my car. Personally I would try to something like 1...3 minutes.
2.) Mirror rear camera when visualizing front & rear recordings
- I would like to be able to see the rear camera mirrored horizontally, and I am not referring to the rotation. The reason is that when I play a recording and see the front camera as the big image, and the rear camera as a "picture in picture" frame, then the following situations (which I do not like) happens: If I look at my front camera recording to a car parked on the right side while I'm passing over it, the car will, of course, disappear from the front-camera recording in the right side and then it will appear immediately in the rear-camera-frame. The problem is: where will the car (parked on my right side) appear on the rear camera view ? -> in the left side :( If I'm driving and I'm using the mirror to see that parked car, I will, of course, see it also in the right side, and this is what I would like to be able to see when I visualize both videos (front & rear) overlapped.
3.) Event limits
- Possibility to limit (eventually in percent) each category of recordings (M (manual recording), P (parking), E (event), N (normal) ). E.g.: I want to have events stored in maximum 10% of the SDcard. If this 10% disk space is reached, then the camera should start overlapping the oldest event videos.
4.) Connection from mobile to dr750s through a WiFi router
- I have a WiFi router (with a 3g/4g SIM) in my car so my blackvue camera is all the time connected to the internet and to cloud. I would like to be able to connect with my mobile phone to the same WiFi hotspot in my car (so both dr750s and my phone will be connected to the same wifi and have access to internet) and then to be able to connect my Android BlackVue app to my dr750s directly (not through the cloud because the connection speed is very uvery low) . It's not so nice that, in order to connect with my phone, I need to disconnect it from my wifi hotspot, connect to blackvue directly, then it means that I do not have internet anymore on my mobile (even if on my mobile I have 4G, it doesn't work because the mobile sees a wifi connection).
5.) Connect to cloud with both: windows app & android app for push notifications
- If I login to cloud from android app, and then I login also from Windows BlackVuew app by pressing "switch to cloud viewer" , then I'm disconnected from the mobile and I do not receive push notification until I manually log in back on my android phone. I would like to be able to login from both devices in parallel, eventually to receive a notification on the mobile that windows app was also connected to cloud.
6.) Windows viewer - combine consecutive videos
- BlackVue Windows App - See successive videos as a combined video ! It's ennoying to load one by one , minute by minute in order to search a specific situation in the images. I would prefer to have an option to "optimze video file list" in a way that when it's possible, videos are virtually combined . If I drive 2h and I have all 120 videos of those 2hours, I would like to see only 1 entry in the video list in the application. This would be one very important improvement.
7.) Windows viewer - full route
- BlackVue windows app - The possibility to see the entire route on map, [works good with the previous point of combining videos]. When you select a 2hours virtual video (combined from 120 successive 1 min videos) it would be nice to see also the entire path/route marked on the map.
8.) Windows viewer - speed graph.
- BlackVue windows app - I would like to see also a speed graphic, not only the graphs for acceleration sensors.
9.) Windows viewer - Enhanced charts
- BlackVue windows app - to be able to make the charts bigger (to be more visible) and to see the values on a specific point of the chart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think?
Would you "vote" for any of these suggestions?

Regards,

As I don't use Windows Viewer so much, I vote for 1-4-5
1- would be so easy to do and very useful. Last time I had a parking event (door impact) only 1 min after entering parking mode.
This door impact wouldn't have been detected 1 min earlier.

my problem with weak wifi signals are back again. All too often, I am told that the signal is too weak.

I'll step in with few comments... What I'd really like to see.

- As was mentioned, we should have option to connect to the camera through WiFi router, it's a must.
- Time Lapse option for parking mode, just like Thinkware cams have. With possible FPS options (lets say 1FPS, 3, 5). So it would work like this - camera enters PARKING TIME LAPSE mode and starts no-stop Time Lapse recording, but it would be not usual FHD@60 (or FHD@30 w/e), instead it should be FHD@3 for example- literally, 3 pictures every second (no sound, obviously). So we should have 2 PARKING recording modes - PARKING TIME LAPSE and PARKING EVENT.
- Option to specify Video Segment Length for every recording type independently and with greater range choice. Now we have options as of 1, 2 or 3 min. For everything. I want to be able to have NORMAL recording segments for 5 min, DRIVING (Normal) EVENT recording segment for 1 min and PARKING EVENT (Motion Detection) for 15 sec (5s before event and 10s after). Right now my sd card is FLOODED with Parking Events from motion detection - some random car is passing by, camera triggers event and records another minute of empty road, total waste of sd card space and endurance.

Very interesting the time-laps option. I was not aware, I would like this one !

I don't know how you can proove an incident with a timelapse video

So what's the need of time-lapse?

So what's the need of time-lapse?
Strange question. For the very same reason of "Normal" recording mode, but to save space/time.
And by the way, if you don't need it, doesn't mean that others don't need it.

Yes but what is the benefit if you can't use time-lapse in case of an incident?

Yes but what is the benefit if you can't use time-lapse in case of an incident?
Err... What? It seems you completely not getting the point. When camera enters parking mode, it records no-stop time lapse, then if there's event detection (motion, g-sensor w/e), it switches to parking event mode with full fps video.

Yes I know that.
But in that case, what is the need to record in time-lapse when there is not event?

Yes I know that.
But in that case, what is the need to record in time-lapse when there is not event?
There are few reasons for me - most important, motion detection is crap, it doesn't trigger properly, missing half events, and triggers when it's not needed (rain, sun, clouds etc), and therefore it completely floods sd card with endless amount of useless heavy files. With time lapse you can have the same no-stop recording, but with very low sd card load. Then you can see time lapse recording, just like fast forward playback, and if you need something, you can always get appropriate frame.

OK thanks, I understand your point of vue.
In my case, I still prefer to use motion detection with my DR750S.
It works fine, I've never missed anything when I'm searching a particular event.
My 128GB SD card is enough to have more than one day on the card.

- As was mentioned, we should have option to connect to the camera through WiFi router, it's a must.

I am brand new to dash cams. I have purchased a 750 which will be delivered Wednesday. I intend to have it installed professionally. I am interested in your comment here regarding a router. I have a router in my home, of course, for our home network. How does a router for a dash cam in a car work? Where do you put the router? How large is it? What purpose does it serve, i.e., how does it improve your dash cam situation with a 750 over not having a router at all?

Use of the word "router" in this context is a bit inaccurate and potentially confusing. The better term is "access point", which is something that goes between a WiFi-enabled device (in this case, the camera) and the Internet.

At home, your router is often also your WiFi access point, which is why the term is used interchangeably. In your car, you may have a small mobile-specific access point, which would connect to your cellular provider. Some newer-model cars have this built in (so the kids can watch Netflix on their tablets in the back seat, for example). In other cases, it's a separate gizmo you'd buy, install and pay to access your cellular provider.

But the key is that it's optional, definitely not required, and depending on your desired usage may not get you any benefit at all. It merely allows your camera to be always connected to "the Cloud", so that you can access the recordings remotely (and get some notifications when things happen). If you don't know you want to do this, I'd consider not doing this right away. Because it's separate, you can add a mobile access point later if you choose to. I don't do mobile cloud myself, but that's mostly thanks to the cost of cellular data in Canada.

Brad.

Use of the word "router" in this context is a bit inaccurate and potentially confusing. The better term is "access point", which is something that goes between a WiFi-enabled device (in this case, the camera) and the Internet.

At home, your router is often also your WiFi access point, which is why the term is used interchangeably. In your car, you may have a small mobile-specific access point, which would connect to your cellular provider. Some newer-model cars have this built in (so the kids can watch Netflix on their tablets in the back seat, for example). In other cases, it's a separate gizmo you'd buy, install and pay to access your cellular provider.

But the key is that it's optional, definitely not required, and depending on your desired usage may not get you any benefit at all. It merely allows your camera to be always connected to "the Cloud", so that you can access the recordings remotely (and get some notifications when things happen). If you don't know you want to do this, I'd consider not doing this right away. Because it's separate, you can add a mobile access point later if you choose to. I don't do mobile cloud myself, but that's mostly thanks to the cost of cellular data in Canada.

Brad.
Wow! Thank you SO much for explaining this. A very clear explanation. It is most helpful to me.

I've got Mobile WiFi access point built in the car, but it's inactive when the car is switched off, so good only when you drive.
When at home, my BlackVue connects to the home network via WiFi extender, and script automatically uploads all BlackVue files from SD card to my Qnap NAS.
Unfortunately BlackVue WiFi speeds are really slow, I've seen maximum speeds at ~20mbps.
When all files are uploaded to the NAS, SD card is being formatted.

Back