Mythical Car That Comes Out of Nowhere | Man Packing Out a Wild Boar

thomas-dash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro Duo 4k, Viofo MT1
I was driving down the street and had a van surprise me. The dash cam definitely does not show how unexpected it was from my view. I think it sitting one to two feet in front of me and towards the center of the car helps it show the minivan sooner than I saw it.

I drove past a guy packing out a wild boar. I'm not sure if he was bringing it home after killing it or just walking it over to another place to process/cook it. At first I thought he was carrying a dog.

The van might have been glimpsed at a distance, but if so it would have only been a moment and there were other things needing to be watched. A center-mounted cam is best overall, but yeah- sometimes it will 'see' what you can't, and the recording will be misleading as to what was visible. Still it seems you were prepared for something possibly being on the other side of the pick-up; good job that :) I watch too many car-crash videos and many crashes are because of a vehicle lurking unseen behind a larger obstacle. Always remember that if you can't see then you don't know, and if you don't know then you drive accordingly ;) I like having a secondary cam mounted high at the driver's side edge to better show what I can see from my seat.

Decades ago on a bright summer day with open fields all around I approached a "T" intersection and stopped. The main road to my left was gently curved, as was my road which intersected at an angle too. I had looked left and right several times and looked again once stopped. Seeing nothing I started off gently. Just as I did I saw something at the edge of the "A" pillar and moved my head to get a better look at it. I slam on the brakes just as my van nose went into the near lane; what I'd seen was a full-sized black touring bike :eek: The combination of our speeds and the road curves had completely hidden him behind my "A" pillar for a good 10 seconds. I'm sure he thought I'd seen him- I expected him to turn around and run me down to fight for intentionally pulling out in front of him because that's what it would have looked like to him. Luckily he didn't :cautious: Since then I don't pull out without looking around my "A" pillar by moving my head sideways and not just rotating it. It takes a lot less to hide something from view than most folks realize and we've got to watch out for that.

Phil

Yeah, I think I was focused on changing lanes to move around the car that was making a right-hand turn, but then realized the truck was at a stand still. People hear tend to make agonizingly slow turns. They also tend to push their way across the road when they don't have the right of way. Instead of waiting for traffic to clear in both directions, they'll pull out into the road blocking traffic in one direction while waiting for traffic in the other direction to clear.

I'm definitely glad you avoided that accident. It's amazing how quickly things can change on the road.

Back