nanoQ 0903 video clips

Rayman.Chan, ok.

Have you tried some sort of heat pipe solution, it could be possible to have some sort of metal, hybrid plastic metal casing, and using a tiny heatpipe to transfer heat.
That way you would be increasing the surface for the heat to escape from the surface of the chip. Usually you can get away with a simple and cheap solution that
most of the time will improve the heat issues.

Checked the video clips, a bit sad it is a .mov container but could work fine. At least it is h264 video in it but the bitrates are kind of low only 11mpbs or is that a settings thing ? Should be able to do 20mbps average for 1080p 30fps

Also the sound , PCM 32000Hz mono 512kbps, better to have MP3 128kbps or AAC, plus PCM is bad, takes up much more space in the file. Also using 44kHz is better, same as on standard CDs. I am sure these more modern chips can do that without any problem.

Or is everything a settings thing ?

The video quality is real good, sharp and nice colors, but it does feel a bit blocky, probably the bit rate issue.

Last edited:
@Rayman.Chan I like the video quality from the camera for the firmware being so early. I do notice there are some issues at night that need to be addressed in FW.

In certain lighting situations you will see some bands of noise in the video. To me it looks like the WDR is trying too hard in certain lighting situations.

Here is a good video example: (click download)
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=831EDC8F4D63D24E!64582&authkey=!AG_KG8CiXbhSj-Y&ithint=video,mov

Make sure to download the original.

This banding is not present in situations like at dusk or dawn where its still very dark but not total darkness no matter how long the camera has ran.

Here is an example of low light without issues: (click download)
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=831EDC8F4D63D24E!64583&authkey=!ALIwHdziADhJBQA&ithint=video,mov

I do not see much of an issue with hot pixels with this specific 0903.

Have you tried some sort of heat pipe solution
the bitrates are kind of low only 11mpbs or is that a settings thing ? Should be able to do 20mbps average for 1080p 30fps
MP3 128kbps or AAC 44kHz

heat pipe solution -- we used special material shielding case for the chipset with expensive 4.8W/M-K Silicone Grease, which helped alot to disperse the heat from DSP;
the bitrates -- we are working on this, need more time to test
audio -- it is shown supported in NT96655 datasheet, will try and test

In certain lighting situations you will see some bands of noise in the video. To me it looks like the WDR is trying too hard in certain lighting situations.
This banding is not present in situations like at dusk or dawn where its still very dark but not total darkness no matter how long the camera has ran.

I have checked the "good video example" but "low light without issues" is still under download.

I believe you got a Pre Production camera on hand, the horizontal bands happens when lights going dark or it is dark. In that condition, SONY IMX322 need much more power to process the image, there was designed a RT9013-27PB LDO (500mA current) to provide the required power. Although this IC was widely used in cameras, we found there is power short problem when the mentioned condition. We spend 3 weeks to find a suitable IC to instead; at the same time, we have call back all the 0903 cameras to rework (also the heat-blurry problem). The re-born mass production nanoQ (0903) have been relased from last week.
@blake please send your camera back for a replacement.

Sorry to all the distributors and thanks for your patience on the call back issue. Everything we do, we do our best for users.
(maybe it is the first call back camera in dash camera history, a shame)

I have checked the "good video example" but "low light without issues" is still under download.

I believe you got a Pre Production camera on hand, the horizontal bands happens when lights going dark or it is dark. In that condition, SONY IMX322 need much more power to process the image, there was designed a RT9013-27PB LDO (500mA current) to provide the required power. Although this IC was widely used in cameras, we found there is power short problem when the mentioned condition. We spend 3 weeks to find a suitable IC to instead; at the same time, we have call back all the 0903 cameras to rework (also the heat-blurry problem). The re-born mass production nanoQ (0903) have been relased from last week.
@blake please send your camera back for a replacement.

Sorry to all the distributors and thanks for your patience on the call back issue. Everything we do, we do our best for users.
(maybe it is the first call back camera in dash camera history, a shame)

Thanks for the analysis. Its no problem! I have another 0903 on the way, hopefully that one was production ready.

Thanks for your replies and assistance on the forums.

that is my interest and responsibility, bro

Today, I made a longer trip (about an hour) and nanoQ performed really well. Pretty tough conditions - bright sun, tree shadows. Please ignore dash reflections - I'll re shoot with CPL on Monday or Tuesday. In the meantime, here are the latest samples:
https://mega.nz/#F!Q9BRlDRQ!VNnVbf3Flnubw6WCVqzg8g

Last edited:
Rayman.Cha

Yeah, it would be nice with some more audio options. And perhaps selection of more bitrates. But it depends on the heat issue I guess.
Anyway I have always liked the mini-series of cameras. Great picture quality, and decent low light performance.
Anyway, using AAC or MP3 as audio can save a lot of space in the .mov file. So that is something to look into.

And the option for higher bit rates might not give you any issue heat, as a lot of chips have fixed speeds, so
regardless of what they are doing they still generate the same amount of heat.

It would be nice if the camera had about 18Mbps on the .mov files, in 1080p 30fsp, that would reduce some
of the blocky pixels you get. And the increase is not that much, should not be a problem for the hardware.

And by moving to AAC audio as I said, the space saved could be used for video bit rate instead.

But the mini-series is still great as dash cam :)

downing and crazy

Here another daytime sample in 20MBit (no CPL, WDR on):

Mega: still uploading...

Looking good I'd say. Just the clouds in the sky are a bit overexposed.

Looks like it is in good focus.

Yes the focus seems great. Nothing to complain about :)

The most important thing is not the colors, but rather the sharpness of the video and that the focus is optimized.
Now this version also has great sound, plus a nice birtate too. Nothing to complain about.

The only thing would be mounting to eliminate shaking and so on, but I guess you have to fix that on your own.

Sometimes 30fps is not enough for a slow motion, (full speed version at end):

(I was at the 50mph speed limit, he was doing 3 white lines to my 1, so closing speed was around 330Kph.)

Early 0903 at the front (lens was warm so poor focus).
GitUp Git1 at the side, amazing the plate is almost readable and it wasn't even sunny!
Mini 0806 at the back (using standard firmware, I must put the 24Mbps back, it is much better at speed with 24Mbps.)

The dark areas are much darker on the 0903 than the other 2 cameras and it was looking away from the sun, the 0806 was looking towards the sun so should be having the difficult job but has done well. I think the 0903 could do with a significant boost in gamma.

16Mbit 3/29 firmware at night

Hard to tell the difference from YouTube - do you think 20Mbps is better?

Hard to tell the difference from YouTube - do you think 20Mbps is better?
For night video there really should be no difference as there is so little detail in the images.

In daytime there should also be no visible difference unless you are traveling fast and there is a lot of detail to record. For the side view in my video above, 20mbps would probably improve the image significantly as there is so much changing from frame to frame, that was recorded at 18mbps.

Back