nanoQ disassembly, refocus and GPS fix

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
Today, I decided it was time to crack open the nanoQ and see if I could fix focus and intermittent GPS issues.

First up GPS module. Six small screws and voila! Looks like a 0806 model.
P1030264.JPG

I literally bleed for this cam :)
P1030285.JPG

Next, main body. Two screws and a little help from a plastic opener.
P1030267.JPG P1030268.JPG P1030269.JPG P1030270.JPG P1030271.JPG P1030272.JPG P1030273.JPG

Next lens assembly:
P1030266.JPG P1030274.JPG

Sensor:
P1030275.JPG

Test hookup:
P1030277.JPG P1030279.JPG P1030283.JPG P1030284.JPG

Let's fix the broken off wires for the GPS module:
P1030287.JPG P1030288.JPG

Mount and results:
P1030292.JPG P1030293.JPG P1030294.JPG P1030297.JPG

Stills after refocus:
2016_0325_104347_002.JPG 2016_0325_104408_003.JPG 2016_0325_104425_004.JPG

Still working on videos...

Hmmm... I may have to refocus mine as well.

Forgot to mention, the rear part of the lens (IR filter) had lots of smudges on it. Also, the lens base has two small nubs on it that make it not sit level. If your camera is sharper on one side, that may be the problem.

Forgot to mention, the rear part of the lens (IR filter) had lots of smudges on it. Also, the lens base has two small nubs on it that make it not sit level. If your camera is sharper on one side, that may be the problem.
It's sharp nowhere. :D

1. IR filter dirty (smudges from lens thread lubricant or something like that) --- maybe happened when you warm the lens up and remove the fixing glue, maybe;

2. lens base not seated correctly (caused by two small plastic "nubs" on the bottom of base - remnants from injection mold?) --- that is an operationg problem; (there was focusing problem when we made the PP samples we found the heat-blurry problem was caused by the lens base, then we spend half month to try many lens base and found this lens base works for -20 to 75C temprature, the only deficiency is there are two location masts which we have to cut off before mount the lens base with screw. the workers are trained one again this after to cut off the masts carefully to make the lens base flush. Thanks for point out this, really helped a lot.

Any luck on posting video to teach us how to refocus the bad boy?

Any luck on posting video to teach us how to refocus the bad boy?
Not so much for videos :) @blake posted a guide somewhere here.
Besides, you can only take this camera apart so many times before the plastic falls apart. For camera designed to be taken apart look at @JooVuu X

I got the instruction fr Blake. However, I don't have time to tinker with it like you guys do.

Hi guys, my Nanoq also has an intermittent GPS problem. Without having stripped it down yet, can I assume that the loose wires are most likely at the camera mount end and not the GPS end?

for those who came here searching for a gps issue resolution..
i've just disassembled mine just as on the photo #1.
in fact there was no gps module at all - just a lot of empty space and a microusb thing - no chips, just wires.
as far as i didn't disassembled the camera module, i'm still not sure if someone fooled me, or just the gps has moved completely to the camera module (probably not true).

in fact there was no gps module at all - just a lot of empty space and a microusb thing - no chips, just wires.
as far as i didn't disassembled the camera module, i'm still not sure if someone fooled me, or just the gps has moved completely to the camera module (probably not true).

time to talk to whoever you bought it off

time to talk to whoever you bought it off
yup, i did that already.
asked for a $30 refund (of $90 total) and received it.
i did that before i disassembled it, but after all, i think that was fair :)

Hello lacibaci, thank you for posting these pictures. It helped me to refocus my 0903. Out of factory it was badly focused, opening and twisting the lens made it perfect. :)

Back