Nauto - The beginning of the end of the dash cam market as we know it?

tooshy

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Backed by Andy Rubin (the person responsible for Android) and Reid Hoffman (co-founder of LinkedIn), they just raised $159 million from BMW, GM, Toyota and a few others to build a connected smart dash cam which they plan to eventually fully integrate into the cars from the factory floor.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/19/n...sion-of-its-autonomous-driving-data-platform/

If all cars start coming out of the factory with a Nauto camera, what would that do to the dash cam market?

"Nauto’s tech uses a dual-camera windshield-mounted device, with one camera facing inward tracking driver behavior and the other facing outward to monitor the road."

No thanks. Might be a good place to hang a baseball cap methinks.

"Nauto’s tech uses a dual-camera windshield-mounted device, with one camera facing inward tracking driver behavior and the other facing outward to monitor the road."

No thanks. Might be a good place to hang a baseball cap methinks.
Or test the long term adhesion characteristics of electrical tape. :whistle:

No thanks.
"(...) gathering data about human drivers and their behavior (...)"
"(...) lucrative purpose: building a huge data set that can prove very valuable in the development of self-driving cars."
"(...) amassing a library of data from a huge cumulative pool of real-world driving hours."
No thanks.

"(...) gather the billions more miles of real driving experience and data required to get a precise understanding of how the best drivers behave behind the wheel (...)"
Good luck finding them. :whistle:

I would not be interested in that setup, and there will always be a robust market for companies such as Street Guardian Viofo etc. Opportunities in this market are only beginning not ending.

I dont mind a camera on myself while driving, but i sure as hell would not be sharing much footage from it.
Not even being the good looking guy that i am :D

I can see where you could use that selfie footage, i am pretty sure people are now claiming well i saw he was on his phone, when truth be told it was the other part that was on his phone when he sideswiped me.
But i am not sharing nothing with no one, except what i already share with the world on youtube.

Last edited:
Once again the techies are showing their disconnect with the real world :( And it won't stop dashcams :D

A cam from 5 years ago can't compare with the better ones today so a built-in cam will be similarly obsolete in time, only much harder to upgrade when newer and better arrives. And with the growing interest in dash and action cams I expect the pace of improvements to quicken. There will come a time when factory dashcams become prevalent but not tomorrow. Maybe not in ten years. But it seems sure to happen eventually ;)

In the past I would have opined that such an intrusion on personal matters would not get off the ground, but in seeing how gullible the Farcebook generation has become I wouldn't make that bet today :eek: P.T. Barnum was right in his assessment of human intelligence.

Phil

...but in seeing how gullible the Farcebook generation has become I wouldn't make that bet today :eek: P.T. Barnum was right in his assessment of human intelligence...
And that before the advent of internet, cell phones, etc. Wonder what he would think today.

Can you imagine dashcams, controlled by the maker of the self-driving, or highly automated cars?

How many court orders would it take to access those files when they show the car was at fault?

This subject was already in discussion here, believe it or not, almost 2 years ago!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Calgary Dash Camera - Robert Dash Cam Discussion 7