Navman Mivue 388

Glenn M

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all, I have just purchased a Navman Mivue 388 and very happy with it. Got fed up with cheap cameras off ebay so decided to get one of these. So far it appears to be pretty good and the supplied viewing software is ok too. Has anyone else bought one of these ?

Cheers

Yep, I bought mine last week :) very happy with it. Updated firmware this morning. Have not yet been out driving at night to see what the night video is like but I activated the WDR for daytime... big mistake, everything washed out. lesson: WDR at night only :)

As I understand Navman is re-branded of Mio range for NZ / AUS market.
I had Mio 358. Was OK back then nearly 2y ago.
WDR on 368 and 388 gives more advantage.

Yes, its rebranded... somewhat. We don't get the speed cam alerts in Australia. GRR. I noticed a massive difference in the daytime files using WDR. They were really overexposed. I suppose I could use -2EV and WDR but that would defeat the purpose I feel. I'm happy to just fire it up at night.

Which state are you in Sue ?

NSW, Glenn. Went for an early drive this morning to try out the WDR. Of course, idiot me had a filthy windscreen, and a smudged lens (must have smudged it when putting it back in the car before going out at 4.30am, yes I am nuts). What I've realised is that I need to have a lint-free cloth in the glovebox at all times, and I need to take to the windscreen with Windex sometime before I go out again.

All that said... WDR made a bit of difference on roads where there was little light, but much of a muchness in well lit streets, I thought. I had the EV set at 0 and don't really plan to change that unless it seems necessary. The daytime vid was better before the firmware upgrade. But I think that was my fault. Night vid isnt that good, so I'm not going to fret over it and will leave WDR off for the forseeable future.

Don't use Windex, you'll get a haze on the windows a few hours after cleaning, buy a proper automotive glass cleaner and it won't do this and will stay cleaner longer, I use Bowdens Naked Glass, available at Supercheap if you have one nearby, any good automotive glass cleaner is suitable though

Reactions: Sue
OOOOH that explains it. And I thought it was just old cigarette smoke being difficult about being removed!! (Its been over 6 years, so it shouldnt be, really). I think theres a supercheap quite near me so I'll wander over a bit later. Thanks for the advice!

Oh dear. I've had an "uhoh" situation. Out yesterday for a few hours, cam worked well to do the movement detection thing whilst I was absent from the car. But here's the thing... I went to one place, had to pick up some meds, that was fine, but it transpired that the gadget did not fire off to record when I started the car up again, to drive off. I went for a lengthy drive, saw some idiots doing stupid things, looked forward to getting home to see if the clips were worth posting... went to the supermarket to do some shopping... got home, and found that the only stuff I had was from the drive to the pharmacy, and car parked there, then car parked at the supermarket and the drive home. For some reason, the 388 just did not register that my car was in motion in between those parking times. Thats an hour of driving not recorded. What a pest!

Has anyone else had reliability issues with this model?

Could be a settings issue, can you list your menu options and what setting you have selected for each?

Not now, I cant. I switched off motion detection and the restarting issue went away. I also noticed yesterday when I was reviewing the vido which had worked prior to the failure ( a trip to the local caltex and then home again) that a single frame from the caltex (when i was stopped) flashed into the middle of the drive. I was not sure I saw it so I went back and slowed it down as much as I could, and there it was. A shot from the Caltex as I was stopped, waiting to turn at some traffic lights.

Todays video was faultless, if somewhat boring.

Not now, I cant. I switched off motion detection and the restarting issue went away. .

I figured it was motion detect related but there are some other settings that can cause you to miss large sections of footage if not set correctly

Hello everyone,

I have some questions about my (new) camera Mio Mivue 388. I often need the emergency button. However, sometimes the clip does not include some time before the button is pressed. Sometimes it saves like a minute+ before and 4 minutes after (which is all right) and sometimes it saves only a few seconds before - so the issue on the road isn't recorded completely.

Secondly, is there a firmware upgrade to add more emergency videos? There are only 10 available. But on the 32GB card there can be more clips stored. Sometimes the emergency button overwrites the old ones, which makes me really sad :-(

Any advice?
Best regards,
K.

Last edited:
I noticed a massive difference in the daytime files using WDR. They were really overexposed.
I found my exposure was more constant if I tilted the camera down to get less sky and more car bonnet. I have WDR on all the time.

Has anyone else had reliability issues with this model?
Yes heaps. I have my screen on all the time now to catch it, but problems include:
  • record not activating if left in park mode
  • having to turn it off all the time, when I leave the car, due to battery reset
  • even with the unit turned off, it factory resets due to battery not holding charge
I'm looking to swap mine as its driving me nuts. Shame, cos the quality of the recording is quite good.

Conveniently, mine has died. Just after the warranty expired. Battery. I won't get another.

You aint kidding. Now I think about it the battery has never properly held a charge anyway. I should have returned it right away. Oh well, too late now. I want a capacitor based cam, now, and have posted a query in the batteries and capacitors section (it may belong someplace else, I dont know.)

I want a capacitor based cam, now...

Cameras available today with capacitors include the A118C, G1W-C, Transcend DrivePro 200 & Mobius (capacitor kit $6 at Banggood).

I can recommend the Mobius from personal experience. If you prefer the MiVue form factor, then consider the Transcend ... a good camera though way too conspicuous in the windscreen for my liking.

Thanks, Russ!.

Believe this if you will. I decided to have a last ditch attempt to revive the 388, left it connected to the computer (but switched off) overnight, and then took it off the charging cable. It got terribly hot whilst charging and I was worried that it might explode or set fire to the joint but decided to risk it.

Its now sitting on my desk with a fully charged battery (*that* has *never* happened) and retaining its settings. going to try it in the car, and there's now less urgency to find that capacitor based cam. I will look at those suggested, and ahve a good browse around youtube to see whats there as well.

Last edited:
Back