Near collision behind me as a result of moving for a disabled vehicle

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
I see a disabled vehicle with a truck instructing vehicles to move to the lane to the right. I move from the centre to the left lane to allow the slower moving truck move into the lane I am in. The mustang behind me accelerates to pass me and the truck almost hits the mustang, and the mustang swerves to the lane to his left.

Mistake on my part, I should have slowed down to the trucks speed to allow him to get in my lane as opposed to moving to the left given how I saw the mustang drive earlier.

The mustang has not front plate and possibly out of province.

It seems like you're implying the mustang needs to be blamed for something. The only fault was that of the truck driver who failed to check his mirrors.

It seems like you're implying the mustang needs to be blamed for something. The only fault was that of the truck driver who failed to check his mirrors.

Can't tell from the vid, but if the truck had signalled and had begun it's lane change before the Mustang began passing it, that would make it the Mustangs fault. Lacking a signal or the Mustang being alongside first would make it the trucks fault. Either way it would have been best resolved by the Mustang giving way even if that wasn't legally necessary. Being in the right has never prevented a crash, and not crashing should always be the top priority for all drivers.

Phil

The video was on torontodriving on reddet, and of course on youtube. I am not going out directly blaming the Mustang driver, but it seems most of the viewers are. One poster on reddit claiming it would have been 70 / 30 fault against the mustang. The truck showed intent to change lanes shortly after I did and I feel the matter out of courtesy and assist the truck to comply with the "move over or slow down" law for the mustang is do to the same thing as myself. Instead, he choose to undertake the cars to his left however when he got the chance.

In https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-mto-drivers-handbook/changing-positions

Changing lanes
3. Check again to make sure the way is clear and that no one is coming too fast from behind or from two lanes over on a multi-lane road.
Passing
4. If the vehicle you are passing speeds up, do not race. Go back to your original lane. And do not speed up when another driver is trying to pass you. It is unlawful and dangerous.
The truck failed number 3 of changing lanes. Although not passing, the trucker did experience a vehicle that sped up after I got out lane and I feel he should have gone back to the right lane,

Unfortunately, I didn't have the front camera working, but there was some left lane hogs, albeit going at a fast speed. In front of my in the centre lane was lots of room and I feel the mustang had the intent to pass me on the right after we passed the truck. These left lane hogs cause a ripple effect on driving as some of the times the only lanes which are open and can be used for passing is the right lanes.

You will notice the trucks stayed in the centre lane after passing the stopped vehicles. If they are going to encounter resistance moving to the left lane for a stopped vehicle, well may as well stay there.

Back