near head-on, pressed emergency button to lock file, and later that file showed 0 bytes...

erkme73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
a119v3 x 4
I'm using 128gb cards in all of my A119v3 cameras without issue. A few weeks ago, I had an extremely close call with an oncoming truck that was almost entirely in my lane - where I had to swerve, nearly losing control of my vehicle to avoid hitting him. Immediately I pressed the emergency (!) button. The screen went black and showed the yellow exclamation mark, and beeped several times, then resumed recording with video as normal. A few days later, after stopping the record process, and removing the card, I found three files for the date and time in question in the RO folder. Both the preceding and trailing files (500+mb) were there, intact, and viewable. However, the middle file, containing the near-hit, showed 0 bytes. It would not play on any device, using any player.

I rarely (if ever) use the emergency lock button. And after this experience, my confidence has been completely shaken.

Try playing that file back on the camera itself.

That was the first place I tried. It shows the file name but black thumbnail, and it refuses to play. on Android or PC, it shows a 0 byte file.

I'd have left the dashcam buttons alone. Just let it do it's thing. With a 128Gb card it's not going to overwrite the required file unless you can't offload it within 11 hours more recording.

So very true, and lesson learned. I just find it quite ironic that the button meant to prevent file loss, in this case, caused it.

I rarely (if ever) use the emergency lock button. And after this experience, my confidence has been completely shaken.

If you try the emergency button again, do you get the same result? How about tapping the camera to activate the g-sensor?

Have you checked the file BEFORE the locked one? It may have just started a new file the instant you pressed the button, hence 0 bytes.

Have you checked the file BEFORE the locked one? It may have just started a new file the instant you pressed the button, hence 0 bytes.
Yes, unfortunately it proceeded the event by quite a bit.

I have not checked. But will with the next trip.

I would test the feature a few times during random times to ensure there isn't an issue with the camera. I use the feature from time to time and haven't had this issue. I assume many would be complaining about it if it was a firmware bug or widespread issue.
What firmware version are you on?

I am a big fan of the event button, after having used mental noted for the first many many years as a dashcam user.
Now i just go to my RO folder once a month for a little footage for a upload, so very nice, not least after i have made it a habit to say out loud why i pressed the button, cuz some times a month later and the event not being a big deal event, it can be hard to figure out why the hell the button was pressed.

How much did you loose ( looking ar regular videos before / after the event ) he ask not knowing if the A119 V3 do a buffer + some seconds or maybe deal in whole segments.

Ostatnio miałem to samo. Klik i nic. Teraz nie używam tego przycisku. Viofo jest tak chwalony, a właściwie co jakiś czas problem.
I've had the same thing lately. Click and nothing. Now I don't use that button. Viofo is so praised, and in fact a problem every now and then.

You might try running a data recovery program on the microsd card to see if the video file is recoverable. Handy Recovery, EaseUs Data Recovery, etc.

Also, as someone suggested, make sure the file before the "corrupt one" isn't indeed the file you need. It could have started a new file when you hit emergency button.

But what to fix here when the RO folder is empty and the file has disappeared and is not on the card among the unsecured data? Something's broken viofo here

But what to fix here when the RO folder is empty and the file has disappeared and is not on the card among the unsecured data? Something's broken viofo here

En un caso a donde perdes un archivo, es possible a restaurar archivos con software como EasyRecovery, HandyRecovery, etc. Recuerde, una carpeta sin archivos puede tener cosas que no ves.

Just cause you can't see files, doesn't mean they are not there.....Worth trying recovery software.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
markus A119 V3 2
Back