Need a 2ch for my truck

tp0d

Reaction score
Country
United States
hey all, new here..

Have a HD Car-cam (k-2000 something) that ive been using for 3 yrs now, time to upgrade.

I drive a long bed, extended cab pickup for my work, which I`m in a LOT. (30-40kmiles/yr), so the potential for idiots hitting me is large.

I want to upgrade to a dual channel HD cam, something 400$-ish range, would like a decent rear camera for backup purposes, and for accident recording.

Problem is, 99% of the rear cams I have looked at are not waterproof. Would prefer a surface mount rear cam, but I`ll take what I can get... Would I have to cobble together something with like a plate mount cam?

Any ideas?

Thanks

tp0d

well without the waterproof angle, the blacksys cf-100 just about fits your needs and is on sale for about $100 on amazon right now. 1080p front and 720p rear. it can't be used for a backup cam so that would still be separate. i don't know of any that are suitable for backup cam anyway. maybe you could somehow seal the rear unit and make it waterproof?

hey all, new here..

Have a HD Car-cam (k-2000 something) that ive been using for 3 yrs now, time to upgrade.

I drive a long bed, extended cab pickup for my work, which I`m in a LOT. (30-40kmiles/yr), so the potential for idiots hitting me is large.

I want to upgrade to a dual channel HD cam, something 400$-ish range, would like a decent rear camera for backup purposes, and for accident recording.

Problem is, 99% of the rear cams I have looked at are not waterproof. Would prefer a surface mount rear cam, but I`ll take what I can get... Would I have to cobble together something with like a plate mount cam?

Any ideas?

Thanks

tp0d

There are few dual channel dashcams solutions out there ( 1080p + 1080p ) based on Ambarella A7LA70D Processor and with waterproof cameras specially made for mounting them outside, I have tested few of them. However there are some "problems":
1. bit-rate is not high, only 10Mbps per channel. For best video result need around 15Mbps bit-rate, but 10Mbps will also do some job.
2. Most important, that those solutions have short video cables, only 6 metre, so even if you are OK with lower bit-rate, then you still can not use on your truck. And it is not possible to extend them, at least at the moment.

The only good solution for rear camera in your case is Street Guardian SGZC12RC. ( 1080p / 30Fps / 15Mbps bit-rate )
This is the only dashcam that has an option to extend remote lens camera to 18Metre ( special video cable need to be ordered from factory ). You can mount main unit on dash, it has 2.7" LCD display and you can use it as a reversing camera as well. If 2.7" is not enough, then using AV out port you can connect it with other much bigger screen ( 7-10" ) ? The only thing you need to make ( DIY ) is to waterproof rear camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
In regard to waterproofing the camera for the SGZC12RC i have been thinking about putting in inside a clear plastic tube or maybe even a glass one, but i am not sure if this will give glare in the lens due to the shape of the housing in front of it.

The camera of the SGZC12RC is pretty small, about the size of a AA battery with a small hump on the side where the lens is.

PS, if some one get a "old" focus issue cameras from the "X1 / X2" in surplus, or just the housing i would love to experiment a little with one during summer.

Last edited:
Not sure I want to invest in an expensive camera system, then rig it to do something it wasnt designed for. (waterproofing).. Not only could the water kill the rear camera, but if it shorts out the +5v power from the main unit, the whole she-bang is dead, and a lotta dough is now a paperweight. I would rather spend a little more and get a proper camera..

Ive been browsing fleabay, and have found outdoor rated cams to be used in RV systems/etc, but the viewing screens are wayy too big for what I need. 4" would be big enough for occasional backing (i do also have a proximity sensor system already), and 4" would not take up too much space on the dash.. Most RV systems I've seen are 7"+, but thats also because theyre typically 4ch systems.

Gonna look for a dvr system that supports a generic RCA style cam, and get an actual waterproof rear cam..

I`ll update when I make some headway..

thanks all

-j

Keep in mind that anything that uses rca jacks will be low resolution - 720x480 at the very best. Nowhere close to 1920*1080 full HD.

Found one possibility..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00UPAJCPO
This one seems to be usb, (hd at minimum) hmmm the blackvue seems like a nice unit. dont really need an active screen, if I need the backup cam, I can use my phone screen..

-j

Last edited:
hey all, new here..

Any ideas?

Thanks

tp0d

The new BULLETHD BIKER MATE and BIKER RO are very water resistant. (just released this week)

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...stant-motorcycle-dashcam-novatek-96655.12423/

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice, but I already bought the cam in the link i posted.. its a company write-off, so I dont care bout price.. i`ll update with some pics of install..

tnx

Back