Need a dash camera that can record everything in one video file

orphan0615

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been doing research for the past few days. I need a dash camera for my work that can record long duration video that won't break into multiple files (for example 1 mins/file)
1080p with 60fps will be great. If anyone here have any suggestion on which dash cam I should buy, that will be great!

Thanks you!!

Just about any dash cam can do that simply by turning loop recording off - it will then default to continuous recording in a single file up to the limit of the file system.

There is a downside in that if anything happens to the file you loose everything versus just a single segment. Is there any reason you don't want multiple segments given they are easy to combine into a single file using any number of video editing programs, including some that are dash cam specific?

Welcome to the forum orpan0615.
You cant have that as that are one of the main reasons for dashcams, cuz with the little files if there is a hiccup you should just loose that one file, and that would be a headache if that's your 2 hour long file.
It is easy to make one large file out of many just drop them in any editing software and hit export.

If there are programs/app that can easily combine multiple segments into one single file, that will be great.
the reason why I ask is because my colleagues are not great with technology, they rather open the video and keep pressing forward than seeing a bunch of files where they don't know which is which.
I usually won't be in the office working, so they want something that is user friendly for them.

The nice but now obsolete dashcam player Registrator viewer automatic detected your driving sessions and sorted them as such, so using that you could export a driving session as one large video with 1 - 2 clicks of the mouse button, or just effortless play the driving session as 1 video.
BUT ! this piece of software are no longer a option as the maker of it died years ago and so it no longer support modern cameras with modern hardware in it.
I have requested that the maker of the player named Dashcam viewer incorporate the same nifty functionality in his program, but i have no idea if he will do that or have done that.
I cant recall if dashcam viewer bundle / arrange the video clips into drive sessions, so you can just use that as playback to play a entire session so you can just FF thru it or REW if you want to go back.
I do have the software ( not installed ) but i never use it as i just use a regular video player, which will also play your videos as one big video but you manual have to highlight the files in a session and then select play.

As said above you can make the camera not loop record, but then it just record videos about 4 GB in size ( around 15 minutes of recording time as i recall ) but then the camera will just stop recording when the memory card fill up.
And that the camera will keep recording the the memory card are full are sort of a corner stone of dashcams, so you will never really run out of space just when the card are fill the oldest recordings get deleted to make room for new ones.
And if people have to keep a eye on when the camera stop recording as the memory card are full, that also violate another cornerstone of dashcams, that being that they should not need any human interaction or at least as little as possible.

I just made you a video of how to playback a bunch of dashcam files with a regular player ( pot player in this case, but it will be the same for whatever player you have on your computers )
You just highlight all the videos you want to play, click on them and select play.
I have muted the sound as i have deep purple going in the car, and you can see as one 3 min 1 sec file end the following file have the same first 1 second as the last second of the previous file, this is due to this camera have a 1 second overlap in between file segments, but this matter little for just occasional viewing but would be annoying if you made a video to share like that.
Most new cameras today i think don't have this overlap so the files just pick up there the previous one left off.

With PotPlayer (and probably others) you don't even need to select a group of files. Just click on the one you want to start at. When it finishes, the player automatically keeps going if there is another file on the drive.

okay :unsure: that's nifty, then you can just press stop when you have had enough.

the reason why I ask is because my colleagues are not great with technology

Sounds like me :ROFLMAO: With a simple player like VLC it's not hard to learn how to deal with your dashcam vids, plus there's lots of online tutorials about this. Deep editing techniques are still beyond my capabilities and knowledge but I've never really needed them. For the stated reasons and more which we needn't cover, the "short-file-with-looping" method dashcams use is great for the intended purpose :cool: I recommend keeping the files from 1 to 3 minutes so that if you do want to save or send a file it will not be too large to do easily, thus keeping the user-knowledge requirements as low as possible. Heck, if I can deal with this as well as I do then anyone can do it ;)

Phil

So which Dash Cam you think I should buy? I got a TOGUARD CE23C Dash Cam few days ago, but when I change the option to loop record to off, it still have a 5 minutes segments
if you turn loop off when the card is full it will just stop recording

Of course you can achieve that by turning off the loop recording. Like jokiin said, the unit will stop recording when the card is full. Therefore, you probably can keep recording for 1.78hours if you have an 16 GB memory card. For 126GB, it will be 14.29 hours. (It depends on what kind of product you have)

Back