need a new helmet cam, not sure where to start

thesmeee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Im looking to get an upgrade for my helmet cam (contour roam 2), had it a while and its starting to fail.

ive been having a look around and seen a mixed bag from the cheap-higher end cams.

basic requirements would be

~3hr battery life, preferably able to charge while recording
~weather proof or waterproof case available
~helmet mount (kinda vital)
~image stabilisation would be a big bonus
~external mic option, again would be a bonus feature
~at least decent low light recording (very early commute)

If anyone's able to give some recommendations id really appreciate, ive got a bit lost in the huge array of cams on the market, price range is quite flexable

Thanks

3 hour battery life on a action / small camera are not going to happen, i have only seen 1 camera but its fairly large cylinder shaped powered by a 18650 battery.
Waterproof housings you can get to most cameras, but then you cant feed external power to the camera.
And all kinds of mounting options also exist for most major brands.
EIS are also pretty normal now.
External microphone you can only do if it is BT and the camera have that too, at least if the camera is inside a waterproof housing which i think are the norm for Danish and English bikers.

The big battery camera i speak about are the warrior G1S camera, it is waterproof as is.
http://www.yuncooltech.com/features/index.html

Several of the compact Sony action cameras would be my recommendation. They come with helmet mounts or can easily be adapted to use the huge selection of gopro mounts. They'll also run off of an external USB power source, which is how I use mine - good for 12+ hrs with a compact battery pack stuffed in my jacket pocket. I use the hdr-as30v which has wireless remote on/off toggle and real time viewing screen, external mic input (that's stuffed inside my helmet), built-in GPS and image stabilization that actually works. The newer models will do 4k if you feel you need it.

Last edited:
Are the sonys waterproof when plugged into a external supply ?

This is crucial for bikers in the UK and DK i think ( not biker myself ) but the weather here like this summer i would assume we only had 3-4 days every month in the past 3 months where you could gamble on a bike ride without getting wet before you get home.

Never tried it submerged in water so I can't say for certain. My setup has held up for the better part of 5 years w/o issues.

hehe yeah i guess you guys have rain too, over here it seem to be more and more prevailing in the summer.
Driving in rain with moisture and the force of wind should be a good indicator for waterproof-ness, it must at least be the same as submersion to a few feet in water.

I do like the Sony cameras, their shape are more to my liking than the conventional box shaped cameras, also OIS in the newer ones are sweet, and you can use it as long as you dont put the Action in action camera too much on, i doubt the OIS system would survive many laps strapped to a dirt-bike handlebar.
I know on my Yamaha quad-bike i killed the optical zoom and auto focus mechanism in smaller camcorders i strapped to it.

Just read that the Danish "summer" 2017 already have been named the summer with the least sun hours in 17 years.

Why does it need to be a helmet cam?

If you go for handlebar mount then you can plug it into the bikes electrical system so there is plenty of power.

Assuming that it is some sort of bike!

Yeah. personally i would go for the permanent handlefenderswingarmcamera solution myself, the helmet cam are by no means a stupid concept, but at least the top of helmet teletubbies solution's that you will never see me wear.

I totally understand the bikers, from what i see from my fellow car drivers, then i am doubtful as to if i would ever dare to venture out on a motorcycle or a bicycle.
At least in a car even a motorized lunch box as mine you have some form of protection against the tidal-wave of stupid in traffic, as a motorcycle driver all you have are your fiberglass hat, and as a careful bicyclist you might wear a styrene hat though here that's not yet a requirement.

Hello,I have this camera and I am rider.I have been using this camera for a long time and I am very pleased.Because battery life time is so good for me.I used it with my helmet.
But I need help one thing.I also use intercom.I want to record my voice via intercom on my video.How can I do?.This camera and my intercom have wi-fi.Can I connected via wi-fi directly between this 2 devices.
Also,I tried change sd card 64 GB but it was not working.Just work 32 Gb.Is there any way to change it?
I would appreciate it if you could help.
Thanks,
Muammer iyice

Back