Need a recommandation for dashcam

Welp higher bitrate for h264 doesn't mean better quality over h265.
H265 supposed to allow for better compression, lowering bitrate for same quality. Or higher quality for the same bitrate.

H265 supposed to allow for better compression, lowering bitrate for same quality. Or higher quality for the same bitrate.
Depends on the video content, but the extra compression features of H265 do not help much with dashcam video. For something like the TV news studio it can work brilliantly, but not for driving under trees!

I can't find a direct comparison between the B4K and A119 V3
I downloaded the "original" file from this comparing to the A129 Pro

and since i don't have 4K display, i opened it up in adobe premiere and ran it on 100%, i couldn't find any distinct differences in quality.
Here are a few samples i cut out at %200

1624006904733.png

This is not very accurate since the video has already been transcoded once from the original camera file to a 4K comparison video with 4 cameras, but this is the best i have found.
As i see it the B4K has a tiny bit less detail. I couldn't find any frame that the A129 pro had something unmistakably readable while the B4K did not or vice versa.

Since the A129 Pro bitrate at 50MB/s and the B4K at half of that, it means the B4K manages to get same detail at half the file size.

This is only a short clip of clouded weather driving, and doesn't show dark night comparison.

I guess the A119 V3 has similar quality to this A129 pro.

All I can say is that the B4K does great vids for the price, but with few features. Just heat-tested mine to 65C and above for a couple minutes without problems. I must note it's optional analog rear cam isn't much :( The .TS file format loses the last second of video on power-off or button shutdown.. but being the native format in the cam processing it ensures no file corruption. Mine has been excellent :)

All I can say is that the B4K does great vids for the price, but with few features. Just heat-tested mine to 65C and above for a couple minutes without problems. I must note it's optional analog rear cam isn't much :( The .TS file format loses the last second of video on power-off or button shutdown.. but being the native format in the cam processing it ensures no file corruption. Mine has been excellent :)

There is very little information about the B4K, the forum is only 2 pages of threads, i appreciate if you could give some input on these questions:
1. How is the sharpness? i've checked a few vids and it seems a slightly out of focus in the distance, maybe its been fixed in a update?
2. How is the sharpness/details on low light / shadows ? I've seen some videos as above that are comparable to Viofo, and others that has a lot of motion blur, but that might be due to HDR or older firmware?

1. How is the sharpness? i've checked a few vids and it seems a slightly out of focus in the distance, maybe its been fixed in a update?
I think that is mainly from using a lowish bitrate for 4K, plus the lens is not the sharpest possible, but for the price it is sharp enough, more detail than any of the fake 4K cameras.

2. How is the sharpness/details on low light / shadows ? I've seen some videos as above that are comparable to Viofo, and others that has a lot of motion blur, but that might be due to HDR or older firmware?
Compared to the Viofo A119 V3 which is similar price but 2K, it certainly has more motion blur, but compared to other 4K cameras it is reasonable. The Viofo A129 Pro 4K easily beats it on 4K detail in good lighting, in poor lighting it still wins but not by a huge amount, but of course it costs more.

If you want a camera that works well at night at around that price, I would go for the A119 V3, but they are different cameras, if there are things about the B4K that you like then it is definitely worth considering, and if you definitely want 4K at a cheap price then it is very good.

I think that is mainly from using a lowish bitrate for 4K, plus the lens is not the sharpest possible, but for the price it is sharp enough, more detail than any of the fake 4K cameras.

Compared to the Viofo A119 V3 which is similar price but 2K, it certainly has more motion blur, but compared to other 4K cameras it is reasonable. The Viofo A129 Pro 4K easily beats it on 4K detail in good lighting, in poor lighting it still wins but not by a huge amount, but of course it costs more.

If you want a camera that works well at night at around that price, I would go for the A119 V3, but they are different cameras, if there are things about the B4K that you like then it is definitely worth considering, and if you definitely want 4K at a cheap price then it is very good.
Agree with this on all points. Every cam is a compromise; no single cam does everything best, and with many cams doing something best there are issues with other things. As to the B4K's image sharpness it does fall short of other 4K cams, but those other cams cost more. And nighttime imaging is not the best with any 4K cam- that is inherent because of the higher pixel count meaning less light striking each one. It is the best budget-friendly 4K cam IMHO. It isn't likely to see any significant improvements over it's original specs via FW; improving it would need hardware changes. It also has the advantage of being upgraded into a 2-channel cam with it's optional rear cam. In comparison the V3 has sharper video and better night performance, though will catch a bit less detail daytime. Viofo cams are known for vid quality so if that is what you seek it may be the better choice, but it too is unlikely to see significant improvements. Neither is a bad choice but for a single-channel cam the V3 is hard to beat and it's the one I'd want of these two.

Phil

Great thread was looking for something similar. Around 5 years ago I bought the A119 and the model after that forgot it’s name it was A119s perhaps. The later didn’t perform like the other. However both operated well under the Florida heat.
Now that I’ve bought a new vehicle id like to get the A119 v3 perhaps.

Back