Need cheap camera with LIVE HDMI 1080P output

erkme73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
a119v3 x 4
This isn't for a car. A technically challenged, and severely budget-limited neighbor needs to replace his security camera. A couple of years ago, I installed a left-over dash camera (1/4" tripod mount hole) that had live HDMI output of 1080P. We ran a 25' HDMI cable to a monitor in his garage (which is where the guy spends 90% of his time). It's strictly for LIVE monitoring - no SD card was installed, and he just wants it to see if someone is coming up his drive.

That camera eventually died. Given his limited budget, I just want something cheap that will do the following:

1) Stay on so long as USB power is applied
2) Doesn't have an excessive amount of menu text (i.e. NO SD CARD INSTALLED)
3) Provides LIVE streaming 1080P over the HDMI port (mini or micro HDMI is fine)

I've already bought and returned several Amazon cheapies (SJ4000 variants). While they had HDMI output, they only output 640x480, despite being a 1080P camera.

I was going to give him my Yi camera (neon green), but it apparently is very picky on which monitors it will display HDMI out. My Sharp TV, no problem. My Samsung 1080P monitor, no go. His monitor in his garagne, nope.

Since these 3 must-haves are not something sellers advertise (or in most cases, even know). So, with that, I'm hoping the DCT community might be able to point me in the right direction. Anything sub-$70 will be ideal.

Would a webcam be a feasible alternative? Sometimes closeout stores have cheap hardwire cam/monitor setups for $30-$40. I've got one sitting here that cost $20 about 4 years ago; no recording, just a live monitor with crappy vid quality but good enough for 'friend or foe' ID at 10M distance.

Phil

I hadn't considered that because the monitor he now uses has no USB on it - just HDMI, composite, coax, and RGB/PC. The camera I installed for him a couple years ago was one of the first 1080p gopro knock-offs. I never once used the HDMI port on it until the need with the neighbor arose. I guess it was just dumb luck that it worked so well. It spoiled him with a really wide field of view, and a very clear image.

I'm sure one of these $40 cheap dash cameras with a mini HDMI port would probably work, but trying to find which one will take several rounds of buying/returning - and I don't want to abuse Amazon/sellers.

I just got this: and the vid jack is present on the board. The manual claims it's HDMI. Can't tell you more than that as I'm not familiar with this kind of thing. It does seem to be a real G1Wc with the Novatek chipset. If you PM me I have a small discount code you can apply.

Phil

A lot of dashcams do it.
I think g1w does it.
I don't have it anymore so confirm with others.

I know mini 0807 does it. That's how I adjusted the focus.

Our camera the JooVuu X will do this but it might be out your budget. If not webcam would be the next best option I believe.

Yeah, my 0806s will do it as well - in fact, if I had an extra one, I'd give it to him - except for the lack of a good mounting solution. The reason I was going the direction of the sports cameras was because of the 1/4" threaded mount base.

A big thanks for the GW1 recommendation. I purchased it from Amazon yesterday afternoon for $50, and it arrived today. Installed, and while about 20% of the screen is covered in various forms of menu items (both static and blinking), the neighbor is ecstatic to have a set of live eyes on his driveway.

upload_2016-8-22_16-1-9.png

A big thanks for the GW1 recommendation. I purchased it from Amazon yesterday afternoon for $50, and it arrived today. Installed, and while about 20% of the screen is covered in various forms of menu items (both static and blinking), the neighbor is ecstatic to have a set of live eyes on his driveway.

View attachment 25486
Just put a small microSD card as well so it loops over and over just in case something interesting happens.

I tried, but apparently when it's putting out to HDMI it stops recording. Would have been a 'nice to have' feature, but not a deal breaker. I'm just glad the guy isn't frustrated over the gagillion overlays.

I'll bookmark that for the day that he starts to complain. As it is, he didn't even care that the date/time was off. Seems pretty passive to me - certainly much more than I would be. But then again, I have 30 IP cameras around my home, and recorded video dating back 3+ years.

Back