Need dash cam advice to record the interior -- Ride Sharing

TechnoBuff

Reaction score
Country
United States
As a part-time gig, I do ride-sharing on the side.

It's well known in the driver community that Uber tends to side with the passengers story most of the time for PR reasons. And with the various sexual assault cases on the news recently by ride sharing drivers, everyone is on alert. Thus, I wish to skip the "hear say" and have actual proof in case accusations are made.

Also, some of you may have seen the recent attacks on drivers earlier this year...

Currently looking at the Blackvue DR3500-FHD and intend to hardwire whatever dash cam I choose to a switch that gives me control of when to turn it ON/OFF as I don't wish for it to be recording the interior of my vehicle when not ride-sharing.

I watched some reviews on it and would like to hear anyone's feedback/experience with it. Lastly, does the voice feedback turn ON during start up? As I would find that annoying...

If anyone has other dash cam recommendations that look as stealthy as the Blackvue, I am all ears

Thnx

Last edited:
Best if you post this thread in Blackvue DR3500-FHD sub-forum if you want more attention from BV owners who has subscried to that thread notifications.
You can ask Moderators to move this thread. Just click "Report" at the bottom of your 1st post and write the reason.

Vantrue N2.

Best if you post this thread in Blackvue DR3500-FHD sub-forum if you want more attention from BV owners who has subscried to that thread notifications.
You can ask Moderators to move this thread. Just click "Report" at the bottom of your 1st post and write the reason.

Thnx for the heads up...

Vantrue N2.

Not a bad all in one solution... Although I am satisfied with the Rexing V1 as my front cam.

DR3500 may be a good idea since you can rotate it to face the front when you aren't doing ride-share (like a normal dashcam)
But the low light quality isn't going to be great if you have it facing the interior at night.
True infrared dashcams are the best bet for interior recording at night. During the day, the DR3500 should be pretty adequate though

DR3500 may be a good idea since you can rotate it to face the front when you aren't doing ride-share (like a normal dashcam)
But the low light quality isn't going to be great if you have it facing the interior at night.
True infrared dashcams are the best bet for interior recording at night. During the day, the DR3500 should be pretty adequate though

Would you happen to know of any recommended models? Thnx

The 3500 is now discontinued and the 450 replaces it The cameras take so long to start up that if an incident started and you had to turn the camera on it would be all over before it fired up.
Also you cant just rotate it from a front view to an interior view as the picture would be upside down.
Surprised a seller couldnt figure that out.

If you want to use one just leave it on and delete the contents of the record folder after your shift

The 3500 is now discontinued and the 450 replaces it The cameras take so long to start up that if an incident started and you had to turn the camera on it would be all over before it fired up.
Also you cant just rotate it from a front view to an interior view as the picture would be upside down.
Surprised a seller couldnt figure that out.

If you want to use one just leave it on and delete the contents of the record folder after your shift

Kind of ugly/bulky but cost effective solution Transcend DrivePro 520 https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0147R9PDO
Blackvue DR650GW-2CH IR is a nice one as well, offers cloud connectivity and parking mode as well https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01AVJZ7EI

Thnx for the advice guys. Appreciate it...

Just add a cheap 2nd camera pointing inwards. The Viofo WR1 is small and discreet and ideal for day, a bit less great for a dark unlit interior at night. Probably still ok though. Alternatively for the best night vision look for a camera with an IMX291 sensor such as a Viofo 119S or any of the other brands with the same sensor as these are about the best you can get for night vision. I'm unsure if Blackvue have an IMX291 based camera in their range, I'm sure they will chip in if they have. Set the frame rate to 30fps for night.

Question is how good do you need an interior camera to be, and whether the priority is day or night.

A119S version 2 is not excessively pricey.

Personally, if it's for daytime use, I'd go with a WR1. Ultra small and decent picture in daylight if not amazing.

Last edited:
Back