Need dashcams( Not so expensive) for my 2020 Santa Fe

smithdean

Reaction score
Country
United States
How are you guys doing? Hope you are all doing fine. I used to have an old Camry that had anker roav dashcam. Bought on amazon and installed at Best Buy . Loved it for its compact size Portability and WiFi capability. I used to remove it when I park cos it gets too hot in hot summer temperature and it is not capacitor. Anyway I sold that car. I now have a new 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe. And I am looking for rear and or front dashcam for my new car. I do have a same extra new anker roav dashcam . Not so sure if I will use that on the front but if I use it I will use it in the front so I can remove it easily . I do need one in the back and prefer a budget capacitor that is small compact with WiFi capability dashcam for the back. If you can also suggest similar one for the front too. I am not DIY so hopefully that Best Buy will install then for me when I purchase them and receive them. I am in Illinois. So please recommend me a compact , WiFi capability, easy to remove and not so expensive dashcam for the front and back of my santafe . Thank you

Last edited:
You could look at Azdome, they do a camera that is £30 in the UK. It is a1080p super capactor and runs through a usb 5v supply (12v cigarette socket converter to 5v supplied). It is intended as a front camera, the 12 to 5v converter has two usb slots and the camera comes with a suction and sticky mount, also two electrostat sheets if you don't want to stick it direct to the glass. The supllied cable would be too short to fit at the rear unless you have a12v socket in the trunk.

You could look at Azdome, they do a camera that is £30 in the UK. It is a1080p super capactor and runs through a usb 5v supply (12v cigarette socket converter to 5v supplied). It is intended as a front camera, the 12 to 5v converter has two usb slots and the camera comes with a suction and sticky mount, also two electrostat sheets if you don't want to stick it direct to the glass. The supllied cable would be too short to fit at the rear unless you have a12v socket in the trunk.
Unless it does better than the one in the 2nd half of this clip: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...y-on-a-pedestrian-crosswalk.42323/post-510143

...then I recommend taking a look at: https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2020/ !

How is this one Viofo A129 Duo ? can i remove the rear cam and view footage via the wifi and same thing on the front?
That is a good camera.

Not sure I understand your second question. It can be used without the rear camera. If the rear camera is plugged in then it sends the rear video to the front camera. The front camera does all the recording onto 1 microSD card, and also has a wifi connection which includes a live view of both front and rear, plus viewing of recorded video from both front and rear.

That is a good camera.

Not sure I understand your second question. It can be used without the rear camera. If the rear camera is plugged in then it sends the rear video to the front camera. The front camera does all the recording onto 1 microSD card, and also has a wifi connection which includes a live view of both front and rear, plus viewing of recorded video from both front and rear.
What if i am hit from behind and want to view footage from the rear cam? I can remove the cam and view the footage? There are few sellers on amazon and i am in US, all with same warranty? I wish there was a deal

You can remove the front cam and plug it into your computer (what I normally do), or remove the memory card and use a card reader on the computer or iPhone, or use the wifi and phone app, or a USB OTG cable to plug it into an android phone or tablet. It is also possible to play recordings on the camera itself, but the screen is a bit small for seeing any detail.

You might find that one of the USA dealers has a forum discount... maybe @CaptureYourAction ?
You would get good service then.

Individual discounts on Amazon aren't easy/convenient for sellers. Plus they charge hefty fees. If you purchase direct from our website, we can certainly offer a discount as a forum member. Send me a private message if you are interested and need our website address. We provide a one year warranty on all new Viofo dash cameras and are an authorized Viofo dealer.

WIll the warranty on my Hyundai car be VOID if I have dashcam installed, hardwired? I am not DIY and will have to go to bestbuy store to install but if the dashcam is not hardwired, it will just be dangling and looking ugly right?

WIll the warranty on my Hyundai car be VOID if I have dashcam installed, hardwired? I am not DIY and will have to go to bestbuy store to install but if the dashcam is not hardwired, it will just be dangling and looking ugly right?

DIY install isn't that hard. There's a learning curve, but trust me, it can be done. I'm a tech person but NOT a car person, and was able to successfully do things. We can guide you through the process. I'll link you to a good tutoral (UK so fusebox probably on opposite side). If you have a newer cars, the pillars must be removed, and the wire tucked behind the side curtains so as not to obstruct their deployment. You could then run the cord through the floor up to the back window or headliner.

https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-golf-dash-cam-install/

Far as Hyundai caring, let's just say with any third party modification, dealers will generally absolve themselves of any and all responsibility related to the item. So it is imperative to have the fuse selection and hardwire done properly. Meaning absolutely never under any circumstances tie into a fuse attached to a safety system (ABS Brakes, Airbags, etc etc). And it is best to avoid all fuses tied to electronics. Simply put find the most BENIGN fuse that's always on (Battery) when car is shut off - I.E. Power Seats if nothing else uses that fuse. And then for accessory the same logic. Say 12V socket, Heated Seats, etc so long as NOTHING critical is tied to that fuse.

Simply put, it will not void your warranty, but it will give dealer the option of blaming your device for negating a repair. I.E Your infotainment system randomly reboots. Well, you might have something wired wrong that interferes with our electronics. Yes, it's a possibility, but doesn't mean that's the issue.

Picking the wrong fuse (I had this issue as a fuse didn't mention it was tied into another system in manual) caused some wonky behavior with Dash Camera or Vehicle Systems. Apparently, modern cars use Canbus so other systems can be tied together. Again, why you definitely want to avoid safety systems and electronics. As any problems that arise from a 3rd party item like a Dash Camera will most likely result in a dealer blaming your equipment. Whether it is the cause or not the cause of an issue.

If you go to your car dealer they may install it for you. If there's a later issue with the car warranty then they would usually be held responsible to cover that but laws vary everywhere so check it out for yourself. Some dealers will not install aftermarket equipment, and some manufacturers will not allow their dealers to do this in cars still covered under warranty.

DIY is relatively easy on a basic level and doing that will show you how to uninstall it yourself so that in bringing your car to the dealer for repairs or service you can leave the cam at home and they won't know a thing ;)

Phil

If you go to your car dealer they may install it for you. If there's a later issue with the car warranty then they would usually be held responsible to cover that but laws vary everywhere so check it out for yourself. Some dealers will not install aftermarket equipment, and some manufacturers will not allow their dealers to do this in cars still covered under warranty.

DIY is relatively easy on a basic level and doing that will show you how to uninstall it yourself so that in bringing your car to the dealer for repairs or service you can leave the cam at home and they won't know a thing ;)

Phil

I concur on the DIY part. I'm not sure most dealers will install aftermarket / 3rd party equipment for the very reasons you described. If there's a problem, the dealer is liable. Dealers aren't going to want to play technical support for equipment they don't sell, endorse, and most likely lack knowledge of how said device operates. So I'd say it's very slim he'd find a dealer willing to hardwire a camera for him. Not unless the dealer sells the equipment.

Last edited:
DIY install isn't that hard. There's a learning curve, but trust me, it can be done. I'm a tech person but NOT a car person, and was able to successfully do things. We can guide you through the process. I'll link you to a good tutoral (UK so fusebox probably on opposite side). If you have a newer cars, the pillars must be removed, and the wire tucked behind the side curtains so as not to obstruct their deployment. You could then run the cord through the floor up to the back window or headliner.

https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufacturer/volkswagen/mk7-golf/mk7-golf-dash-cam-install/

Far as Hyundai caring, let's just say with any third party modification, dealers will generally absolve themselves of any and all responsibility related to the item. So it is imperative to have the fuse selection and hardwire done properly. Meaning absolutely never under any circumstances tie into a fuse attached to a safety system (ABS Brakes, Airbags, etc etc). And it is best to avoid all fuses tied to electronics. Simply put find the most BENIGN fuse that's always on (Battery) when car is shut off - I.E. Power Seats if nothing else uses that fuse. And then for accessory the same logic. Say 12V socket, Heated Seats, etc so long as NOTHING critical is tied to that fuse.

Simply put, it will not void your warranty, but it will give dealer the option of blaming your device for negating a repair. I.E Your infotainment system randomly reboots. Well, you might have something wired wrong that interferes with our electronics. Yes, it's a possibility, but doesn't mean that's the issue.

Picking the wrong fuse (I had this issue as a fuse didn't mention it was tied into another system in manual) caused some wonky behavior with Dash Camera or Vehicle Systems. Apparently, modern cars use Canbus so other systems can be tied together. Again, why you definitely want to avoid safety systems and electronics. As any problems that arise from a 3rd party item like a Dash Camera will most likely result in a dealer blaming your equipment. Whether it is the cause or not the cause of an issue.
Thank you guys for all the advice but if it is DIY installation,ie not hardwired, the dashcam cable will just be dangling, not hidden and will look bad right? I think I tried DIY with anker roav c1 dashcam 3 years ago on my previous old car and I couldn't do it. Didn't know how to bring the cable down and hide. I later installed it at bestbuy and hardwired it. I traded that car for my new hyundai santa fe recently. We all know car dealer service shops are a major scam. Most people like me knows nothing about car engine or parts and they always lie about what is wrong and the thousands it will cost me to repair this or that. So I want to be careful with dashcam installation on my new santa fe car.

You will find many videos on youtube how to install dashcams, and also hard wire, though the fuse boz in different cars are not the same layout or location.
you could maybe also rope in a gear head buddy to do it.
Normally you move the wire to either side just tucking it up over the headliner, then at the A pillar you might have to pull off plastic trim, in my car there are 1 Phillips head screw that need to be unscrewed.
Then you get down to dashboard level where some route a little under the weather seal to get down below the dashboard, in my car there is a gap at the bottom of the A pillar so i just feed wires down that way.

When my car was new i wanted to put a radio in it (my car are so cheap it dident even come with a radio ) but i was not able to envision how the center console plastics should come off, so i drove to the dealer, and he told a guy to show me, and it was just a matter of prying the plastic off pure and simple.
So after 60 seconds i was off again with my center console plastics on the back seat, or rather some of it, but the remaining parts was screwed together so no problem figuring that out.

Thank you guys for all the advice but if it is DIY installation,ie not hardwired, the dashcam cable will just be dangling, not hidden and will look bad right? I think I tried DIY with anker roav c1 dashcam 3 years ago on my previous old car and I couldn't do it. Didn't know how to bring the cable down and hide. I later installed it at bestbuy and hardwired it. I traded that car for my new hyundai santa fe recently. We all know car dealer service shops are a major scam. Most people like me knows nothing about car engine or parts and they always lie about what is wrong and the thousands it will cost me to repair this or that. So I want to be careful with dashcam installation on my new santa fe car.

If you're so inclined, what make and year is your Santa Fe. I am sure we can find images that'll guide you through process. Best Buy will probably charge $100-200 USD to install cameras. I've never been fond of having some pimply faced kid with backyard skills install something in my vehicle. I'd be afraid they'd cut corners instead of taking off the pillars and properly tucking wires. The quick and UNSAFE method is tuck the wires over each pillar and cross over the side curtain. Take you 20 minutes and my fear is that might be a Best Buy Install. God forbid you get in an accident, that cord now obstructs side curtain deployment.

I'm no gear head by any means, but I had someone show me the ropes with a quick run down and I've now done the process multiple times. It takes a few hours, because removing the pillars and trim is more a pain than anything, but it isn't a "Hard Install". More being careful and taking your time.

If you're not comfortable doing a DIY then Best Buy is a good option. I would ask to see the work of the installer who was doing my job before signing the work order. Look for thing like scratches, loose moldings and trims, and cleanliness. If you can see their workstation it should look orderly and have protective and cleaning supplies close at hand.

You're unlikely to have car warranty problems later on as long as the installation was done well; at least some burden of proof would normally lie on the car dealership to show how the dashcam installation directly caused any problem you encountered, but again you have to see how that goes where you live- laws vary wildly everywhere.

Phil

My car is 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe. Thanks

If you're not comfortable doing a DIY then Best Buy is a good option. I would ask to see the work of the installer who was doing my job before signing the work order. Look for thing like scratches, loose moldings and trims, and cleanliness. If you can see their workstation it should look orderly and have protective and cleaning supplies close at hand.

You're unlikely to have car warranty problems later on as long as the installation was done well; at least some burden of proof would normally lie on the car dealership to show how the dashcam installation directly caused any problem you encountered, but again you have to see how that goes where you live- laws vary wildly everywhere.

Phil

I've read enough horror stories to know that dealers will scapegoat 3rd party installs, because there is a real risk these could be causing a problem. Your advice is very concise about checking the guys work. I agree.

My car is 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe. Thanks

Not sure this matches up exactly but should be same premise. See the Items highlighted in Black. Those are your pillars. Wherever it says with curtain airbag, the cap needs popped off with a screw driver. Then take off that pillar and route the wire BEHIND the curtain and never over the curtain. You can run the wires along the weather stripping in the doors as that comes off easily. On B-Pillar (Center One between Driver and Passenger Door) you can either feed it through the grommet and behind the seatbelt or tuck into groove along headliner. On my vehicle, the curtain sits ABOVE the B-Pillar so tucking isn't a big issue. Safest is to simply feed it behind seatbelt if you don't know.

My Guess is the A-Pillar (one that attaches to windshield and first one in black) and C-Pillar (one closest to trunk) probably have the w airbag cap. So those need removed and wire fed behind curtain.

On an SUV, you need to feed the wire through the grommet so the wire doesn't get punched when you open and close the trunk. Here's an explanation of how that works: https://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/how-to-install-a-rear-camera-on-a-suvhatchback

http://www.catcar.info/hyundai/?lang=en&l=eWVhcj09MjAxOHx8cmVnaW9uPT1BTEx8fHN0PT01MHx8c3RzPT17IjEwIjoiUmVnaW9uIiwiMjAiOiIyMDE4IEFsbCIsIjMwIjoiMjAxOCBHUkFORCBTQU5UQSBGRSAxNiAoMjAxNi0pIiwiNDAiOiJUUklNIiwiNTAiOiI4NDg1OCBJTlRFUklPUiBTSURFIFRSSU0ifXx8Y2M9PUtHRU5QQjgyfHxjYXQ9PUtHRU5QQjgxNnx8UmVnaW9uMj09R0VML3x8ZjIzPT1CODB8fGZ0cjAzPT18fGdyb3VwPT1UUnx8dz09ODQ4NTh8fHBhZ2U1MD09fHxmdHJXVD09Mw==

Back