need help, buying a dash cam 1st time. budget 200$ (180 EUR)

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi everyone, I'm from Italy. After the last accident I decided to buy a dash cam. The guy in front of me while in reverse destroyed my front headlight. It was his fault 100% but he claimed that if I called the police he would simply say that I rear-ended him. Where I live no one is willing to give testimony in your favor (unless you pay them but I'm not that low). The police never shows up for minor accidents and if they indeed show up, they dispense illegal fines like candies. So I had to bite the bullet and go on with my life because the scammer refused to pay a single cent.

I'm always alone when using the car, so I need a digital witness, video proof cannot LIE, in my opinion. I'm looking for a reliable dash cam with a lcd monitor so that in case of accident I can show the recanting-lying-criminal or the police that it wasn't my fault. A Dual dash cam with a "parking mode" would be perfect. I drive my car at night for the most part so it must have good night vision.

My budget is 200$ but I'm open to other options, like buying cheaper nonetheless reliable dash cams or more expensive devices.

I've already set up a 12v cigar socket directly connected to the fuse box embedded into the roof.

I've made searches and found out many dash cams. I was about to buy the TRANSCEND DrivePRO 200 or the GARMIN DASH CAM 20, but I read that they're not reliable so I'm asking you directions.

I'd like to buy the Dash Cam on amazon or ebay, directly from EUROPE if possible.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Cheers.

P.s.
About the dual dash cam, is it better buying a dual dash camera or buying two separate units? Like main dash cam goes on the FRONT windscreen, secondary dash cam (cheaper) on the rear.

The Transcend is an excellent camera. In the UK it's sold with a 2 year warranty, partly because it contains a capacitor that will last years. Typical DashCams contain a LiPo battery soldered to the PCB. LiPos have a lifespan measured in months, maybe 6, maybe 12 but very few will last 24. When it fails, you throw the camera away, & buy one that contains a capacitor.

My one reservation about the Transcend is that it's visible from outside the car, so is vulnerable to theft. Skip to 19mins 15secs...

I suggest that you consider a camera that's tiny, discreet, inexpensive, easy to repair...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...w-questions-of-my-own.9717/page-4#post-121889

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get the drive pro 200, 80£ from amazon uk. Nice video you posted. I'll wait for more suggestions before buying it.
Speaking of GPS, I'd like a camera without it because most of the times is self-incriminating due to the stupid speed limits they put here where I live (how can you abide by a 10 km/h speed limit in a freeway?).

When it fails, you throw the camera away
why ? you can replace the battery, no ? :confused: As long as the battery didn't explode and destroyed the PCB there's no reason to throw the device.

Anyone know where to buy the Transcend Drive Pro 220????
Regarding the stealthiness, if I buy that I'm sure there's a way to camouflage those chrome things.
I'm open for more dash cam suggestions before taking the final decision.
What about the various polaroid, sony, hp dash cams from the "BIG COMPANIES"?? Is it worth it?
Thank you so much.

Hi everyone, I'm from Italy. After the last accident I decided to buy a dash cam. The guy in front of me while in reverse destroyed my front headlight. It was his fault 100% but he claimed that if I called the police he would simply say that I rear-ended him. Where I live no one is willing to give testimony in your favor (unless you pay them but I'm not that low). The police never shows up for minor accidents and if they indeed show up, they dispense illegal fines like candies. So I had to bite the bullet and go on with my life because the scammer refused to pay a single cent.

I'm always alone when using the car, so I need a digital witness, video proof cannot LIE, in my opinion. I'm looking for a reliable dash cam with a lcd monitor so that in case of accident I can show the recanting-lying-criminal or the police that it wasn't my fault. A Dual dash cam with a "parking mode" would be perfect. I drive my car at night for the most part so it must have good night vision.

My budget is 200$ but I'm open to other options, like buying cheaper nonetheless reliable dash cams or more expensive devices.

I've already set up a 12v cigar socket directly connected to the fuse box embedded into the roof.

I've made searches and found out many dash cams. I was about to buy the TRANSCEND DrivePRO 200 or the GARMIN DASH CAM 20, but I read that they're not reliable so I'm asking you directions.

I'd like to buy the Dash Cam on amazon or ebay, directly from EUROPE if possible.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Cheers.

P.s.
About the dual dash cam, is it better buying a dual dash camera or buying two separate units? Like main dash cam goes on the FRONT windscreen, secondary dash cam (cheaper) on the rear.
Go with panorama x1. @niko will take care of you since you are in Europe, contact him and you will be set

why ? you can replace the battery, no ? :confused: As long as the battery didn't explode and destroyed the PCB there's no reason to throw the device.

For the average buyer, a dashcam is just another consumer product. When it fails it gets thrown away, just like a toaster, dvd player, microwave oven, whatever.

The average buyer doesn't have the patience, time, inclination, tools or skills to prise open a dashcam case & solder-in a replacement battery. Why should they? They should be able to open a battery compartment cover, slide out the old battery & insert the replacement within seconds. Or open the case with a screwdriver, unplug the old battery & plug in the replacement within 5 minutes or so.

But they can't because dashcam manufacturers deliberately make their products difficult to fix. They don't want people to replace a failed LiPo, they want people to buy a new dashcam instead.

What's the solution? Don't buy a dashcam with a battery unless you have the patience, time, inclination, tools & skills to replace the battery when it inevitably fails. If you want a dashcam that can provide years of hassle-free service, buy one that contains a capacitor.

But they can't because dashcam manufacturers deliberately make their products difficult to fix. They don't want people to replace a failed LiPo, they want people to buy a new dashcam instead.

not the case at all, a few designs I am familiar with have easily replaceable batteries, pop a cover off and change the battery like a mobile phone, it ends up being a bigger product though, size and form factor are more the deciding factors in battery type and case design which leads to more difficult designs, that said a battery isn't the preferred option anyway

failed LiPo's have more to do with factories using low quality components rather than trying to sell another camera, how likely are you to buy another of the same type if the first one lets you down anyway

Go with panorama x1. @niko will take care of you since you are in Europe, contact him and you will be set
Correct me if I am wrong, the panorama x1 is the old version, now there's panorama X2 2015 version, which one is better???

The X2 is dual camera (front main unit and rear remote lens) dashcam and X1 is single camera with a remote lens and an 2,7" lcd main unit.

I'm stickng to the Drive Pro 200 for now. Reasons are that I could have it delivered to Italy in a matter of days from amazon.co.uk. The video quality seems good (day and night) reliability seems average after reading hundreds of feedbacks, has a capacitor instead of a battery. The price is worthwhile, it will cost me 113 euros including the suction cup mount + the sdcard included. I'm not interested in GPS and after a bit of reasoning I can live without a rear camera. Parking mode would have been cool but I can live without that (never had a scratch while the car was parked in 15 years). Still meditating on other options..

not the case at all, a few designs I am familiar with have easily replaceable batteries, pop a cover off and change the battery like a mobile phone...

I doubt that any of them are discussed on this site. Which brands / models? DVR 207?

Last edited:
not the case at all, a few designs I am familiar with have easily replaceable batteries, pop a cover off and change the battery like a mobile phone,

I doubt that any of them are discussed on this site. Which brands / models? DVR 207?

My very first dash cam, an AT20, purchased more than 4 years ago (and discussed by me here and there on DCT) has an easily replaceable (800mAh) mobile phone style battery.
The battery is still going strong by the way. The camera is still functioning well too.

AT20c.jpg

Last edited:
...AT20, purchased more than 4 years ago ... has an easily replaceable mobile phone style battery. The battery is still going strong by the way. The camera is still functioning well too.

How much did it cost back then?

How much did it cost back then?

I found it on eBay for $67 USD. The prices for this model were often all over the place and I saw it for as much as $110.00.
Interestingly, you can still find this obsolete model on DX for $76.72.

Back in those days, there was literally no useful, objective information available about dash cams available on the internet. One had to pick one and hope for the best. So I chose this one because it was more stealthy than many I saw as it was completely black with no chrome or lettering all over it and it had specs and features that seemed attractive. I was really quite amazed at the video quality I got from this early Ambarella processor. While at night the video was essentially useless, the daytime performance was impressive back then and it became my transition from using an old Panasonic camcorder to a real dash cam. Here's a YouTube sample of the AT20 from FoxOffer.

Not discussed here but there are certainly more recent models that use this style, even an Ambarella A7 powered model which uses a common Nokia type battery, not just easily replaced but easily sourced as well

Not discussed here but there are certainly more recent models that use this style, even an Ambarella A7 powered model which uses a common Nokia type battery, not just easily replaced but easily sourced as well

If those models are not discussed here how can we find them?

If those models are not discussed here how can we find them?

I work in the industry so see this kind of stuff regularly

Anyone is welcome to discuss them here, just to date nobody has, the couple I know of offhand that are like this are pretty much only selling in Russia, no doubt some Russian sites probably have some info on them, outside of there they'd be relatively unknown

Hello everyone. Still more hesitant about my final decision. I appreciate all the advices given here and I thank you for this.
I cam across this beautiful little piece of technology, link, and immediately fell in love with it.
Here's a video:
Here's the specs:
Dimensions 70.2mm × 63.1mm × 34.5mm (2.76 x 2.48 x 1.36 inches)
Weight 90 g (3.17 oz)
Display Type and Size 2.4" color LCD
Image Sensor Low-light sensitivity CMOS, 3 mega-pixel
Lens F/1.8, 130° wide angle
G-Sensor 3-axis
Microphone Built-in
Speaker Built-in
Resolution/Frame rate Full HD (1920x1080) 30FPS
HD (1280x720) 30FPS
Video Formats H.264 (MP4: up to 1920x1080 30fps)
Memory Card Support MicroSD card, 8GB/16GB/32GB/64GB (Class 6 or above)
Connection Interface USB 2.0
Power Supply Input: DC 12V~24V
Output: DC 5V 1A
Battery Type Li-Polymer 470mAh
Operating temperature -20°C (-4°F) ~ 65°C (149°F)
Storage Temperature -25°C (-13°F) ~ 70°C (158°F)
Certificates CE, FCC, BSMI, RCM, KC
Note 1. If the lighter socket in your car continues to provide power after the engine is switched of, unplug the DrivePro when the engine is off or idling to reduce unnecessary power consumption and prevent any unexpected problems.
2. For your own safety, please do not operate the DrivePro 220 while driving.
3. Transcend's warranty does not apply to the improper usage of product, including the following conditions:
Warranty Two-year Limited Warranty
Product Contents
DrivePro 220 Car Video Recorder
Adhesive Mount or Suction Mount (depends on your purchase selection)
Car Adapter
16GB microSD MLC Memory Card
*********************************************************************************************************************

The price would be (approx.) 203 US DOLLARS including the trascend suction mount from amazon.co.uk.

What I like is the parking mode with motion detection, gps (I'll shut it off wherever the limits may become insane and illegal).

What do you think about the built-in Li-Polymer 470mAh battery. If it fails after the 2 year warranty I have the skills to solder a new one on the pcb, or when a battery fails Am I forced to put the camera into the trash??

What about the 130° wide angle? Is it effective in catching the road and scenery?

Cheers

Back