Need help buying a Quality DashCam (UPDATE: DECISION MADE)

De Usman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys, I am new to this forum, but really hoping that some one can give me their personal and honest opinion regarding whats the best camera to buy. My budget is $100-$250, I have a few choices which I will be listing below, but please if you know of any other better cameras than the one I have listed below, please recommend.

THINGS I AM LOOKING FOR IN A DASHCAM:
1.Great video quality.
2.Great audio quality
3.GPS.
4.Parking mode.
5.Cam with a screen.
6. Loop recording.
7.Memory Card size doesn't matter , but atleast 64GB.
8.No Batteries.
9.Suggestions on Dual Cameras are also welcome.

MY LIST:
1: A119.
2.Thinkware X500 or X550
3.Street Guardian (SG or SGZC Series)

Please if you know of other better camera brands, do mention. I will really appreciate any help from the members of this forum. I really need a cam as soon as possible because I drive for Uber, I am on the streets everyday for 10 hours. Need a camera that can protect me during any accident. THANK YOU once again!

Last edited:
VicoVation cameras, particularly Opia 2.

Very good quality video/audio.
GPS as a separate mouse.
Timelapse parking mode. VicaVation Power Plus hard wire kit required.
It has a 2.0 inches screen.
Loops recording and 1 x micro sd card slot for cards up to 128Gb.
Capacitors instead of batteries.

I really need a cam as soon as possible because I drive for Uber, I am on the streets everyday for 10 hours. Need a camera that can protect me during any accident.

Welcome to DCT. In view of your Uber activities, I think you need evidence against passengers as much as people outside the vehicle. This being so, consider cameras like the Transcend DP520 & Vantrue N2.

Thank you for all the replies so far, but I hope I can get more suggestions to make up my mind.

welcome to contact with me.

Highlights
  • 1296P 30FPS / 1080p 60fps HD Video and Audio Recording
  • With Inside WIFI
  • With GPS Port
  • Excellent Low Light due to WDR and 3DNR
  • Includes Quick Mounting/Release Bracket
  • Ambarella A7 Chipset Inside
  • G-Sensor for Triggering Automatic Emergency Recording
  • Operates in Extreme Temperatures
  • 6 pcs glasses + 1pcs R Infrared Filter Lens
  • Up to 64GB SD Card
  • 16 Multi-languages
  • 135 Degree Wide Angle
  • Includes One Year Warranty
  • PC and Mac Compatible
  • App
  • a>

11bdc7504222102

Welcome to DCT. In view of your Uber activities, I think you need evidence against passengers as much as people outside the vehicle. This being so, consider cameras like the Transcend DP520 & Vantrue N2.

Thankyou for your suggestion, i did check video samples of the cameras that you mentioned, but the video quality is nothing close to A119.

VicoVation cameras, particularly Opia 2.

Very good quality video/audio.
GPS as a separate mouse.
Timelapse parking mode. VicaVation Power Plus hard wire kit required.
It has a 2.0 inches screen.
Loops recording and 1 x micro sd card slot for cards up to 128Gb.
Capacitors instead of batteries.

Thankyou for your recommendation, the vico opia 2 is too over priced and for $250 it has no GPS and Wifi. If compared to A119 i don't think the video quality of Opia 2 is better than A119. A119 has one of the best video qualities for only $130 with GPS and 64gb memory card. I think vico opia 2 is an over priced camera. Please no offense, these are my findings, but i still appreciate your part in this post. I know opia 2 has latest processors and all, but when i compared videos with A119, i did not find it to be better than A119. Thank You once again.

Value for money is the only thing why i do not want to buy street guardian SGZ series either.

Thankyou for your suggestion, i did check video samples of the cameras that you mentioned, but the video quality is nothing close to A119.
What use is an A119 in the event of a passenger falsely alleging that you assaulted them?

What use is an A119 in the event of a passenger falsely alleging that you assaulted them?

Well I think you do not necessarily need a dual camera for taxi, even if you have a front facing camera and you get into an assault with the passenger inside the car, atleast the audio can be used as a defense, I mean everything thing happening inside will be recorded as an audio. And, the basic protection I need is from accidents, because everyday i have to protect my car from other bad drivers and lets say if someone goes out of his lane and hits you in your lane, there is no verbal defense you can use in proving if he left his lane or did you leave your lane and hit him. A dash cam would certainly help in proving that I was right in my lane and sometimes cars passing close to your sides can break your side mirrors, but again teh question will arise, who left the lane and who hit who. That is my main purpose for a dash cam, any fight with the passenger can be recorded as an audio to prove it was not my fault.

...any fight with the passenger can be recorded as an audio to prove it was not my fault.
Before you make that assumption check the laws in the state where you live. Many states prohibit recording audio without the consent of all parties being recorded. If you happen to live in one of those states any audio you capture could very well be useless to you as evidence - and possibly cause you legal grief for even recording it in the first place.

The solution for recording in-car audio in a two party state is to post a prominent notice that conversations "may" be recorded such as the stickers @jokiin supplies with the Street Guardian cameras.

If you do post a warning be sure to adequately document that you have that sticker in place.

The solution for recording in-car audio in a two party state is to post a prominent notice that conversations "may" be recorded such as the stickers @jokiin supplies with the Street Guardian cameras.

If you do post a warning be sure to adequately document that you have that sticker in place.
That "may" or "may not" ;) help depending on how the state defines consent and prominent (a sticker may be prominent during the day but not at night for example). Best course of action is to determine the specific requirement of the locale.

Welcome to the club, I drive for Uber part time myself in South Lake Tahoe when it price surges on Saturday nights. (see last week's example, 7x !)
I use a SG9665GC up front and a SGZC12RC in back. (Ford Explorer Sport, Uber XL) powered via Vicovation Power-Plus
GC pickups audio quite nice, and I have Conversations May Be Recorded stickers (included in the box) posted

qVtDdz6.png

I think in the case of Uber I'd get some signs made up and make sure they were much more prominent, I'd want something big and obvious, not just because of the legal aspect but I think it's wise to let people know you're recording so that they behave, you're sometimes dealing with people that have been drinking and rational thought patterns seem to diminish with a few drinks in a lot of people

I think in the case of Uber I'd get some signs made up and make sure they were much more prominent, I'd want something big and obvious, not just because of the legal aspect but I think it's wise to let people know you're recording so that they behave, you're sometimes dealing with people that have been drinking and rational thought patterns seem to diminish with a few drinks in a lot of people

You're also allowed to print "Tips Appreciated" signs as well. (Uber lost a lawsuit)

By the way, if anyone is looking to sign up to drive for Uber, there is a $300 referral bonus program
https://partners.uber.com/i/jkdth

Last edited:
That "may" or "may not" ;) help depending on how the state defines consent and prominent (a sticker may be prominent during the day but not at night for example). Best course of action is to determine the specific requirement of the locale.

The phrase I've often seen used, legally speaking is "expectation of privacy".

I guess that's why I used the word "prominent" but yes, I think you make a good point about "much more prominent".

There you go, thinking logically when it comes to matters of law - never the twain shall meet. :(

Welcome to the club, I drive for Uber part time myself in South Lake Tahoe when it price surges on Saturday nights. (see last week's example, 7x !)
I use a SG9665GC up front and a SGZC12RC in back. (Ford Explorer Sport, Uber XL) powered via Vicovation Power-Plus
GC pickups audio quite nice, and I have Conversations May Be Recorded stickers (included in the box) posted

qVtDdz6.png

Thank You for all the replies, the reason why i don't want to go for SG9665GC because A119 gives the same video results for a lot cheaper. A119 + GPS + 64Gb Card for $123.

What do you guys think about the " Vantrue N2 Dual Dash Cam "?

I would have bought the A119 already, but I am trying to get a dashcam with parking mode. That is the only thing stopping me from buying the A119.

Back