Need help convincing my wife!

Milamber said:
There is no such thing as an automatic penalization against any vehicle that makes contact with the rear of another, in a collision. The situation has to be vetted by insurance and police, otherwise we would have people that want new paints jobs or rear bumpers driving around the cities slamming their brakes on. Please don't comment or offer advice if you don't know WTF you’re taking about.

actually, people do exactly that. I never said it was moral.

if i slam on my brakes and say i thought i saw a cinder block on the road, and you rear end me, you are 100% at fault.

if i legally cut your vehicle off (signal, do not change lanes in an intersection, do not spin my tires, and of course do not come into contact with you), then slam on my brakes for whatever reason, whether it be a squirrel running across the road, or my cup of coffee spills... once you rear end me, you are 100% at fault.

camera isn't going to save you in the case of rear ending someone in NJ or NY (not sure about other states) unless you record them reversing or rolling backwards into you.

Milamber said:
"You must maintain safe distance and control of your vehicle at all times" - what does that even have to do with making contact with another vehicle?

it means the burden is on you to have safe braking distance and control of your vehicle, hence the reason why fault is automatically applied to the person who rear ended the other car.

tofu said:
Milamber said:
There is no such thing as an automatic penalization against any vehicle that makes contact with the rear of another, in a collision. The situation has to be vetted by insurance and police, otherwise we would have people that want new paints jobs or rear bumpers driving around the cities slamming their brakes on. Please don't comment or offer advice if you don't know WTF you’re taking about.

if i slam on my brakes and say i thought i saw a cinder block on the road, and you rear end me, you are 100% at fault.

if i legally cut your vehicle off (signal, do not change lanes in an intersection, do not spin my tires, and of course do not come into contact with you), then slam on my brakes for whatever reason, whether it be a squirrel running across the road, or my cup of coffee spills... once you rear end me, you are 100% at fault.

camera isn't going to save you in the case of rear ending someone in NJ or NY (not sure about other states) unless you record them reversing or rolling backwards into you.

ok :)

tofu said:
Milamber said:
....whether it be a squirrel running across the road....

In Australia if you brake or swerve for a small animal, causing damage to other vehicles or property, the likely result will be that you would be found at fault. This helps settle a lot of the "cat (squirrel) ran across the road" claims. It's a common sense approach.

Perhaps your wife would like to view the footage I took yesterday on my DVR207 whilst my car was parked and I was away shopping.

I captured the moment that a one armed a-hole decides it's fine to slam his shopping trolley into a $50,000 car. Luckily it only left a small scrub mark on the lacquer. I just love how they don't even give a ****e about it.

It's here http://youtu.be/PaCW-Po8PAI .

I leave my dash cam recording (not motion activated) because I installed a 2500mAh battery which gives me over 4 hours battery life.

Cheers :) Mario

Last edited by a moderator:
tofu said:
Milamber said:

Another off-topic post: So there isn't a requirement of making sure that your maneuver (changing lanes) is safe?

mariomart said:
I leave my dash cam recording (not motion activated) because I installed a 2500mAh battery which gives me over 4 hours battery life.
How did you install that 2500mAh battery?

KvR said:
mariomart said:

Think you'll find his model uses a Nokia battery and can just be changed for a larger capacity one

jokiin said:
KvR said:
mariomart said:

Think you'll find his model uses a Nokia battery and can just be changed for a larger capacity one

Your correct, just a straight replacement with no modification required

I bought mine off eBay. This is the listing I used http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180948804595#ht_1494wt_1163 .

Cheers :) Mario

Back