Need help deciding on MicroSD card

zorobabel

Reaction score
Country
Saint Helena, Ascension And Tristan Da Cunha
Dash Cam
Blueskysea B1W
I recently got a Blueskysea B1W dashcam and I'm using an old class 2 Adata 4GB card for now; it's ok for 720p recording, but not fast enough for 1080p.

I can buy:
- 16GB Transcend high endurance for about $18, maybe less
- 16GB Kingston industrial for about $16
- 32GB Samsung EVO Plus U1 for about $14
- 32GB Sandisk high endurance for about $19
- 64GB MicroSDXC Samsung Evo Select U3 (white/green) for about $23
- 64GB Samsung MicroSDXC EVO Plus U3 for about $25

Which one would you choose?
I have read about the Transcend and Kingston being MLC, but on the other hand, a larger TLC card would see less overwrite cycles, and would also hold more footage.

Last edited:
Samsung EVO U3 is great that's what we bundle now.
The newer Sandisk "A1" cards are proving to be good now (make sure it has A1 stamped on the card)
Transcend High Endurance is good and that's a nice price
I'd avoid Kingston personally from experience. (Newer industrial versions are probably fine though)

Thanks for the reply, I've added some more options.
About the Sandisk "A1", are you referring to the ultra or extreme?

That video is outdated now. I think the days of saying Avoid Sandisk Ultra is over as long as it’s the new A1 as mentioned in my previous reply.

I don't think the B1W is at all fussy, and I don't think you can still buy cards slow enough to prevent it using full resolution.
I have a Samsung U1 card in mine with no issues.

I would go for a 64GB card, it will retain the video for twice the time of a 32GB so guaranteed to keep a full day of driving on it, no need to worry about loosing something you forgot to lock, and it will also have twice the lifespan while being less than twice the price. Those Evo Select cards are good value and inside are probably the same as the non-Select.

...Just noticed your country, maybe a 4GB card gets you a full day's driving!?

I recently got a Blueskysea B1W dashcam and I'm using an old class 2 Adata 4GB card for now; it's ok for 720p recording, but not fast enough for 1080p.
Lol... this slow speed card cannot work with B1W, suggest that you get the Samsung High Endurance card!

Well, I went with the ADATA premier. I'll update the thread once I try it.
Thanks for the replies!

It was recommended to avoid SanDisk Ultra cards for years, but I think those days are finally over. The new A1 series SanDisk Ultra is 667x and they are proving to be great. (finally)

Interesting, I've been reading more and more recommendations for the Ultra A1 from sources I trust. But, I haven't found anything about the technology or warranty that makes it better. I would love some details.

Interesting, I've been reading more and more recommendations for the Ultra A1 from sources I trust. But, I haven't found anything about the technology or warranty that makes it better. I would love some details.

Different Technology / Controller now, and @jokiin heard directly from a big card rep. Testing has proven to be good as well. I've also read other happy A1 customer reports on Reddit plus elsewhere.

nothing to do with warranties, technically there was nothing wrong with early SanDisk cards except that the controller used in the entry level ultra series could go into read only mode if it encountered an error, it would do this to protect the data, in the majority of usage scenarios of course this would be a desirable feature to make sure that when there was a problem your existing data was a protected from being overwritten and lost, in a device that uses cyclic recording though that would be managing the files this wasn't a suitable approach, nothing wrong with their cards, just not the right choice for the application, the bulk of the business for MicroSD cards is the mobile phone market where people generally fill cards and eventually empty files off, there's no device initiated overwriting going on like we have in our product category so that system works pretty well for that market

human nature of course means we're always looking for a deal so which cards do people buy when shopping, the entry level ultra cards, not a bad card, just the wrong card for the application, their higher end cards that have been aimed at video use are much more suitable for our use

Back