Need help finding a 2ch dashcam

peodi3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've owned the G1W-C for over a year now, I'm very pleased with the way it's working. But after being rear-ended twice now , my front G1W wasn't able to capture it so I decided to invest my money in a rear dashcam. I don't mind getting a second camera or completely replacing the whole unit. I'm in the state of Arizona so heat resistance is going to be very important for me. So I did some research on the dashcams. I liked the Mini 0906 , it had almost everything I wanted. It's small, capacitor based, rear camera, etc. The only thing I didn't like was the quality of nighttime video recording. I wouldn't spend $200+ for a Blackvue camera either. I'm looking for a camera that is very reliable, and has really good video quality both day/night.

The 0906 have the IMX 291 sensor in the front camera, and you will be hard pressed to find a better performing sensor for low light.
And when in the testing phase of the 0906 and my test sample still lasted i think it did well for itself, for sure dident feel like MEG ( the makers of the 0906 ) dident take advantage of the sensor.

BUT ! all these new good low light sensors will do for you is see more of the surroundings at night, when it come to little things like plate capture at night their performance will still be marginal.
And for prize, the 0906 it will be hard to find anything cheaper that's still worth while, in general the prize will go up from where the 0906 sit in the market.

In general and at driving speed, all dashcams have pretty bad night time footage, you might see better footage in factory demos but if you look closer at it you will see the speed are also low and most likely the footage are filmed in a place with Las Vegas levels of ambient light at night.
In a town with just the little light from a store window here and there and a street light every xxx feet, and driving at town speed ( 50 km/h here in Denmark ) then you will just get the big picture.
So at night i just take comfort in that what i do get logged pretty well, that be the color of lights i pass thru - the speed i drive and my lane holding, and if that's okay i cant be blamed for what might happen caused by some dumbass driver.

Welcome to DCT :)

In your stated price range the 0906 is probably the best choice. Compared to a G1W it's miles ahead in the race ;) If you decide to spend more the SG9663DC does better. And Kamkar1 is right about low-light recording- nothing does an excellent job at this and that's not likely to change anytime soon. The 0906 does about as well there as can be expected, especially at it's price point. Plus it's getting good reports in the Australian summer heat :cool: Rear vid quality can usually be a bit lower safely as there's less speed differential involved. The only way to get the best back there too is to mount a single top-level cam front and rear; a bit impractical and expensive.

Phil

So I'm deciding more and more on getting the 0906. But I don't want to miss if there are any other dashcams out there. If anyone else has any recommendations feel free to share.

sometimes its better to buy 2 separate cams if you have the ability to power both, until rear cam quality finally catches up with the front

Back