Need help hard wiring my G1-WH

bwana devil

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1-WH
I recently received my G1-WH and love it. I'm trying to hardwire it into my 2008 Toyota Highlander. From my understanding, one way to so, I will need an add-a-circuit and a 12/24V female cigarette lighter adapter.

One of the first issues I've come up against is how to put an add-a-circuit in my fuse box since the cover is tight up against the fuses. The cover is so close, I doubt the add-a-circuit will fit with the cover on it. Is there a work around on this? Is it inadvisable to drive the car with the fuse box cover off?

fuse box with cover.jpg fuse box without cover.jpg

Last edited:
Also, one of the reason I'm looking to hardwire is because the wire it came with isn't long enough to route properly around the windshield and lower dash. If anyone knows a good source to get a mini USB to cigarette lighter with the 12V to 5V converter and may prefer that route. thanks.

You can also wire to the reading light using 12 to 5V voltage converter with mini-usb plug.

Another option is that there is another larger (main) fuse box in the engine compartment of the Toyota (on the driver's side of the vehicle). It wouldn't be very difficult to run a wire through one of the existing access holes in the firewall and hook up a connection that way with a fuse tap.

You can also wire to the reading light using 12 to 5V voltage converter with mini-usb plug.

Yikes. This sounds like it could be complicated but I will research it more tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Another option is that there is another larger (main) fuse box in the engine compartment of the Toyota (on the driver's side of the vehicle). It wouldn't be very difficult to run a wire through one of the existing access holes in the firewall and hook up a connection that way with a fuse tap.

Yes, I do have a fuse box in the engine compartment. I did a bit of poking around there tonight and don't see an easy access point from cabin. My skills are very elementary when it comes to working on cars so as this project gets harder, I get more leery about taking it on.

There are various holes in the firewall between the engine compartment and the passenger cabin with wires running throught them with rubber grommets. In fact, some of them are almost visible in the photos you posted as that's where you'd find them. It would be a simple matter of pushing a wire through one of these grommets where there is already a wire or bunch of wires going through and then pulling it through where you see it poking into the engine compartment. If you look up under the dashboard again behind the interior fusebox you'd probably find them. Then again it's perfectly understandable that you might not want to get into a project like that. Maybe a friend with more experience with such matters could help you out?

If you are finding it more difficult than you want, consider a shop that installs radio or alarm systems. They will have experience with taping into the circuit that does not cause problems with your computer or other controls. They should also know where to rout the wire to be safe. Avoid the really cheap shops, as they use wire splice clips, and don't take the time to route the wires like the factory would. Check if you have air bags in the pillars supporting the windshield. You could make this very expensive if you harm the air bag design.

I want to hardwire my G1W-C into a 2012 Hylander Hybrid. Where does a person buy the 12V to 5V converter? I understand, to actually power the camera it requires 2 amps current as pointed out on the forum when you did your review of the G1W-C. The standard USB plug in my car will not power up the camera it just opens the "mass storage" screen. In order to power up the camera with a USB it has to plugged into the AC circuit. I use my Apple iPhone cube as the converter.
Mostly where can I buy the 12V to 5V converter.

I want to hardwire my G1W-C into a 2012 Hylander Hybrid. Where does a person buy the 12V to 5V converter? I understand, to actually power the camera it requires 2 amps current as pointed out on the forum when you did your review of the G1W-C. The standard USB plug in my car will not power up the camera it just opens the "mass storage" screen. In order to power up the camera with a USB it has to plugged into the AC circuit. I use my Apple iPhone cube as the converter.
Mostly where can I buy the 12V to 5V converter.

The 12v to 5v step down converters you need can be purchased on eBay, such as THIS ONE or THIS ONE.

The 12v to 5v step down converters you need can be purchased on eBay, such as THIS ONE or THIS ONE.
I hard wired the camera on my Toyota few days ago using an add-a-circuit and a 12v to 5v converter.
This seems to be the easiest method.

Back