> GPS (speed, location, etc.)
> auto turn on when car is started
> night recording
> HD recording (or near HD)
> Good software for PC viewing
> Wide angle cam
> Easy and secure window mounting
> any other feature that may be recommended

Can any of you folks recommend a good dash camera (in the $200 - $300 price range)

Thanks,
Rocky

Hi rockyrr,

If you are looking for a dual cam, there are very few that meet all those requirements now. Most have poor video quality, particularly at night. The Urive MD-8000P might be the best dual camera on the market right now but it costs around $340.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I'd prefer a cam without the rear view cam; that's why I wanted option to turn off.

Thanks,
Rocky

rockyrr said:
Actually, I'd prefer a cam without the rear view cam; that's why I wanted option to turn off.

Thanks,
Rocky

meeting your requirement without a rear cam is much easier

Hi rockyrr,

The Itronics ITB-100HD, BlackVue DR500GW-HD and FineVu CR500-HD meet all those criteria and are quite popular.

DashCamMan said:
Hi rockyrr,

The Itronics ITB-100HD, BlackVue DR500GW-HD and FineVu CR500-HD meet all those criteria and are quite popular.

Checked out the FineVu CR500-HD...doesn't seem to have GPS capability...am I missing something here?

An external GPS is available separately.

DashCamMan said:
An external GPS is available separately.

Thanks, but I'd like just one unit to deal with.

Maybe I should buy 2 less expensive dash cams so I don't have to move a cam from car to car.

I do like the dash cams with a long power cord and cord clips so the power cord can be made more inconspicuous.

I keep procrastinating.

I think I'm going to go with the DR500GW-HD - BlackVue Car Black Box. My only remaining question is with the GPS. It has GPS, but I don't see any Software CD so that one can watch on a PC and link with Google Maps to show location...also speed.

Anyone know about this?

Thanks,
Rocky

rockyrr said:
I think I'm going to go with the DR500GW-HD - BlackVue Car Black Box. My only remaining question is with the GPS. It has GPS, but I don't see any Software CD so that one can watch on a PC and link with Google Maps to show location...also speed.

Anyone know about this?

Thanks,
Rocky

you can use this one if you don't like the Blackvue program http://registratorviewer.narod.ru/index_en.html

jokiin said:
rockyrr said:

Anyone know about this?

Thanks,
Rocky

you can use this one if you don't like the Blackvue program http://registratorviewer.narod.ru/index_en.html

Thanks!

rockyrr said:
jokiin said:
rockyrr said:

Anyone know about this?

Thanks,
Rocky

Thanks!

After you initialize the memory card that came with the camera, it will write a few files onto it. There will be a folder called software. Within that folder, there are two folders called Mac and PC. Install the software and then you can see where you have driven on the mini map. The software is kind of cool. There is a lot you can do with it. It really is a good camera. I am really impressed by the quality of the video. There is an IOS app in the app store that you can use to download files to your Iphone and watch live video over WIFI. I have owned mine for a few days now and it does not over heat at all. I have touched it while driving for a while and the camera is cool to the touch. Amazon has the English version with the English manual and software. Trust me, if you can afford it, go for it. It really is very cool camera.

I haven't yet received my DR500GW-HD, however, I've been looking at the manual online. I read one disturbing instruction:

"Do not use it simultaneously with other devices that use GPS signal"

That 'sucks'. My car has a built in navigation system that is always on. Does this actually mean the GPS on the DR500GW-HD won't function if my nav system is running?

rockyrr said:
I haven't yet received my DR500GW-HD, however, I've been looking at the manual online. I read one disturbing instruction:

"Do not use it simultaneously with other devices that use GPS signal"

That 'sucks'. My car has a built in navigation system that is always on. Does this actually mean the GPS on the DR500GW-HD won't function if my nav system is running?

can impact reception for the cam I believe, will still work, may just take a bit longer to pick up signal from a cold start

I have Finevu with separate GPS and car with built-in sat nav. Dash cam and sat nav works together without any problems

I received a response about my quest from seller. Here it is:

"You will have no issue using this product in your car. What manual is indicating is, it may interrupt your car’s built-in GPS if you try to hard wire the camera to view it on your car’s GPS monitor. Otherwise you will have no issue."

rockyrr said:
I received a response about my quest from seller. Here it is:

"You will have no issue using this product in your car. What manual is indicating is, it may interrupt your car’s built-in GPS if you try to hard wire the camera to view it on your car’s GPS monitor. Otherwise you will have no issue."

seems like an odd response

Back