Need help picking a camera

Jlbg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I’m looking for a camera, am not savvy on this subject at all, and don’t know if what I am looking for exists. So I’m hoping there is someone out there that can guide me.

I’m looking to get my boyfriend a dash cam for Christmas. Of course he wants something with a smooth, clear video at a wide angle but also one that can work well while on gravel, rutted roads. He is anti-cell phone and apps and gps so it needs to be one that we can upload the videos directly to his computer either via usb cable or memory card. And turn off any GPS functions.

He would also like to be able to easily move it from vehicle to vehicle (so for example he wants to use it in his personal vehicle primarily but move it into his work truck or my car when taking those). From my research it seems many (maybe most or all) come with wiring that needs to be hooked up inside the car. That won’t work well for moving it, I assume.

In an ideal world he would be able to use it outside of the car as well. Basically he wants a GoPro (versatile and all) but in the car would be the primary use and I reached out to GoPro and they don’t recommend using their cameras as dash cams.

So I don’t know what to do. Is there a GoPro like camera out there that can double as a dash cam?

Of course affordability is something I need to consider as well.

I greatly appreciate any assistance I can get. Thank you for your time!

If you want vibration free footage, I suggest looking at the wedge shaped cams. Stay away from cameras with large mounts that dangle off the windscreen, they are not stable and vibrate a lot.

On some of the older wedge cams, you may need to affix the included foam pad to eliminate vibration.

If you want vibration free footage, I suggest looking at the wedge shaped cams. Stay away from cameras with large mounts that dangle off the windscreen, they are not stable and vibrate a lot.

On some of the older wedge cams, you may need to affix the included foam pad to eliminate vibration.

Thank you! Can you suggest some examples?

Good advice so far, but if he really wants an action cam (GoPro) type too, then there's always the old original Mobius which serves both functions well :) In Pennsylvania summers there's not too much high heat to cause it's internal battery to fail early so I'd go with that type instead of the super-caps. It can record about 45 minutes on it's internal battery but in driving you really want external power; fully recharging the internal battery can take a few hours. The downside of this cam is it's sensor which doesn't do well in low-light compared to newer technology, but it's rock-solid reliable and relatively cheap. You need a windows computer to set up and update the Mobius; there's a free app and there's a Mac version of this but I know nothing of how it works as I'm not a Mac user. A newer cam like this is the Gitup F1, though it isn't quite as good in daytime dashcam use. This one does better in low-light and has a small LCD screen you can use to set it up and run it.

To power these there's a few options: either a cigarette-lighter adapter taken from car-to-car, or perhaps a few of these semi-permanantly installed in each car you plan to drive. Also there are hardwire kits made so you don't have to plug and unplug the cam every time you want to use it. If you want to just have an easily moveable system some stick-on cable clips could be put in each car to run the power cable more cleanly or you can just let that cable dangle.

This is a usage where a suction-cup mount makes sense, whereas most of us use more permanent sticky-mounts. Those are still an option but you'd need one in every car. Should you decide on the Mobius do remember that it's usually sold as a cam only, and you'll either need to buy a power supply and a mount separately or buy a 'package deal' which has all that. I'm not sure what normally comes with the F1.

This isn't as complex as it may sound- it can't be for me to use them- so I think I'd choose based on how important good low-light recording is knowing that no cam like this works in full darkness anyway. Both are good cams and a good value too, and once you decide what you want we can give you links to specific mounts and power supplies that will work best for him. And unless something is out of stock it will all still there be in time for Christmas :cool:

Phil

Back