Need help upgrading/identifying SJ4000 clone

ObviousMan

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Dash Cam
Xiaomi Yi Camera
I have a clone of SJ4000. No logo, but there is wifi, and it looks identical to the actual SJ4000, spare for logo.
The firmware on it is identified as hw140815v15_3
It came with enclosure etc. from GeekBuying.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
OM

What questions/problems do you need help with?:)

Sorry, I thought having the question in the subject was sufficient. I wanted to see if there was updated FW for this camera, as the included one is quite old and there were several releases of FW for the actual SJ4000 until version 1.6 sometimes around April of this year. For that I wanted to identify the camera so I could look for FW. Or if someone had a pointer to FW, it would be even better. GeekBuying just pointed to FW for the actual SJ4000, but it does not load. I suspect the file name needs to be different, or it may be completely incompatible.

One more question - WiFi comes up as "Active DVR". I am able to connect to it from the phone, but no APPs seem to do anything with it. I tried 4-5 different apps for active cam, including SJ apps, 3rd party, etc.

Thank you.
OM

Could you please post a link to the specific item on the GeekBuying website so I can see the camera in question?

They appear not to have it on any longer. It used to be item 174963 SJ4000 (353070). I can't even link it from my order anymore
I can post a picture, but it basically looks exactly like SJ4000, except the plastic is textured, not smooth, and it has no logo, just says HD and WiFi.
Originally it was showing to have Novatek chip set, but I kind of doubt that since then the FW file for SJ would have likely work.
OM

I wish I could help but because it's not a genuine SJCam I'm not aware of any firmware updates that would be helpful. Many have reported that attempting to update a counterfeit or knock-off SJCam using SJCam firmware updates will completely disable their camera. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

firmware won't load if the bootloader is different
That is probably the case.

Any suggestions which app might work with that camera via WiFi?
Thanks.

Additional info: /*banging myself on the head*/ I finally found where the box the camera came in was, as I was looking for the accessories. It had manual in it.
In any case, the manual said the app to use was iSmart DV. The latest version worked fine with it. The app states it uses iCatch SPCA6330 chip.

Now I see it clearly belongs in the different forum, as this is not a SJCAM clone at all.
If you have knowledge of that kind of action camera, please suggest if any software update files on iCatch website could be used on this camera.
My guess it may be a clone of EKEN, since that one is using SPCA6330 chip as well.
Again, all your input so far is appreciated.
Thanks.
OM

Last edited:
I saw a review that claimed the FinalCam app for Android worked well but I never tried it. :)

Sunplus chipset

is there a problem with the camera?
No problem, just wanted to know if there is updated (in last 2.5 years firmware) that offers improvements, etc.
Thanks.

there's a good chance that another firmware could break your camera

you can find some information about other Sunplus cameras here https://www.goprawn.com/ maybe something of interest
Thank you for the pointer. There are just too many variants. It looks like Sunplus was used in a number of different implementations.
Thanks.
OM

Thank you for the pointer. There are just too many variants. It looks like Sunplus was used in a number of different implementations.
Thanks.
OM

Sunplus is a popular low end solution provider in all sorts of electronic devices, updates don't normally happen though

Sunplus is a popular low end solution provider in all sorts of electronic devices, updates don't normally happen though
I guess in this instance geekbuying did not do me justice. I was actually buying a SJ4000 no wifi clone, based on Novatek. After getting a DOA, replacement, etc. paying extra $15, replacement I ended up with this device earlier this year. This must have been a really old stock. In any case, I will use it as is until it dies. Unfortunately batter lasts only 40 minutes.
OM

Back