Need help with choosing dual cam

Picky

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi.

I'm looking for a dual cam with these features:

Highest possible resolution front facing camera
Average resolution back facing camera (to record car interior, not from back window)
Preferable integrated GPS
Backward facing camera should have good night vision
Unit should have monitor with ability to play back videos on the spot
Good overall quality, withstanding heat in parked car under the sun, good FPS, good picture quality in all light conditions (like sun with tree shadow), no pixelation, etc.

From my endless research so far it looks like there's no one unit that's 100% like I want, but maybe through this forum I'll find something after all.

Thanks!

The only dual with build in GPS i know off is the FineVu CR-2000G, it is mentioned in the finevu subforum, and seem to provide good footage. ( though we have not seen a review of those finevu cams from a forum member )

RoadCam is testing several Dual Channel solutions that will exceed your needs and more in the near future. (no ETA, can't say much more than that yet)
Dual Channel is what it's all about though agreed!

Consider two Mobius cams front and back or a traditional dash cam, perhaps the highly regarded capacitor based Panorama up front and a Mobius with B lens and capacitor in the rear. Until such time as we see a really appealing dual camera solution two separate cameras, perhaps combining video clips in post processing is a viable option. The Mobius clips are easily viewable on smartphone or tablet.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your reply, and sorry for my delay in getting back. I'll review my new options.

RoadCam is testing several Dual Channel solutions that will exceed your needs and more in the near future. (no ETA, can't say much more than that yet)
Dual Channel is what it's all about though agreed!
what about 4 ch solutions? :D

i know a lot of people around here dislike blackvue but what i was considering for a 4 channel setup was TWO dr550gw's with the rear cameras mounted on the front top corner of my back doors. those cameras look perfect to be mountable on the small narrow area of my windows plus the side cameras would really only need to be good enough to see something happen, the front and rear will likely be the cameras to pick up license plates. and the front cameras to me are honestly good enough, and with one in front and back the convenience of parking mode being automatic with the power magic pro is hard to beat for me.

ive considered the innovv c3 for a rear camera,with the unit in front, and camera in back but i dont like the idea of needing to manually turn on parking mode.

ive also considered putting my blackvue front camera in BACK and inovv c2 for front since more than likely a hit and run will be when my car is parked in public with the impact near the back.

a 4ch setup for me should not require more than two DVRs tho so multiple mobius or innovv cameras just is not acceptable for me.

then i take a step back and realize this is all over kill and i am taking this "hobby" too far lol.

then i take a step back and realize this is all over kill and i am taking this "hobby" too far lol.
What I would like to know is how likely it is that each camera position is going to prove useful. Most people start with a front facing camera, but I know that around 90% of damage to my model of car is to the rear, but it tends to be easier to establish that it was the other persons fault with a rear impact so maybe a rear camera is very unlikely to pay for itself. If I watch the video from my front camera it totally fails to show if it was safe to pull out of a junction, 135 degrees is not enough, maybe two front facing cameras pointing left and right so that they cover 2x 135 degrees (270 degrees - only 110 of the 360 degrees not covered) would be more useful? Maybe a camera positioned in the drivers side mirror instead of the rear would be the more useful?

Maybe all these cameras are unlikely to pay for themselves unless you do a high mileage or live in an accident prone area?

Is there any evidence to show what does prove useful?

Thanks, guys. While I'm not so familiar with all makes and models, the suggested options of multi cameras seems to be too much pain involved. It's not only numerous cables, but since they're not connected to each other (at least part of them), you'll have to be more busy in switching on/off, or other settings. Also compared to one central unit with a few cameras, with that you have one synced view of everything together in the software. With multi cameras you'll have to use some kind of video editing software to bring them together. Not very convenient...

I'm in the NYC area, where police are pulling over right and left. Many times you're not at fault. Therefore I need mainly a front facing high resolution, and interior facing cam that I can use for evidence that I had my seatbelts on or I wasn't using a cell phone. And therefore I also want either an integrated monitor, or at least a port to connect an external monitor, that I can use on the spot to show to the police officer that I wasn't at fault.

Thanks!

We all have car insurance? hundreds of pounds spent each and every year (thousands in some cases!) and we get very little in return.
THEN, when something does happen, without that G1W, your insurance might balk at paying out, sometimes even wanting to go 50/50.
Either way, it still impacts on your premiums.
That £30 G1W will give you far more peace of mihnd - not only will it help in the event of some moron hitting you, it's a constant reminder that your standard of driving is being monitored.
And whilst someone ramming you up the backside is clearly their fault, what if they are able to continue driving?
I had an incident (pre dual cam) where a mini hit my towbar, nudguing me forward closer to the car in front - luckily I didn't make contact. However, the driver of the mini clearly knew what they did was wrong as they pulled around me & shot out of the junction, narrowly missing oncoming traffic. Sadly, my front cam only caught a glimpse of the car through the windows of the car in front of me. Had I installed a dual cam, it would've caught the plate of the mini and, even better, evidence of them driving away from the scene as well as a reasonable pic of the driver.

As to the 4ch solution - well, it seems we now might be unlucky to be caught out in a flash for cash scam - you're waiting to pull out of a side road, they flash you, you pull out & they ram you.
You're completely at fault for pulling out. Only an additional cam on the side can save you. The quality of the side cam isn't important - as long as it can see a car & see a flash.

What I would like to know is how likely it is that each camera position is going to prove useful. Most people start with a front facing camera, but I know that around 90% of damage to my model of car is to the rear, but it tends to be easier to establish that it was the other persons fault with a rear impact so maybe a rear camera is very unlikely to pay for itself. If I watch the video from my front camera it totally fails to show if it was safe to pull out of a junction, 135 degrees is not enough, maybe two front facing cameras pointing left and right so that they cover 2x 135 degrees (270 degrees - only 110 of the 360 degrees not covered) would be more useful? Maybe a camera positioned in the drivers side mirror instead of the rear would be the more useful?

Maybe all these cameras are unlikely to pay for themselves unless you do a high mileage or live in an accident prone area?

Is there any evidence to show what does prove useful?
I am a delivery driver so my likelihood of being in an accident is sky high compared to most drivers.

I agree with the rear camera not being as necessary since as long as you weren't reversing it is likely the other drivers fault and knowingly your own speed or if you were not moving is all that usually matters BUT I mostly have mine for parking mode I feel like a hit and run would more likely be near the back in a parking lot. While actually driving tho a front facing and side facing would likely be more useful for showing your innocence.

We all have car insurance? hundreds of pounds spent each and every year (thousands in some cases!) and we get very little in return.
THEN, when something does happen, without that G1W, your insurance might balk at paying out, sometimes even wanting to go 50/50.
Either way, it still impacts on your premiums.
In the majority of circumstances, if the car gets seriously damaged then my insurance will be paying, doesn't matter if I have a camera or not. My future premiums will be affected by the fact that I have had an accident, doesn't matter if I have a camera or not. Even if someone deliberately causes an accident with you to get a pay out it is your insurance company that pays, not you and your next insurance premium will increase even if you have proved that it was not your fault.

It is not all that easy for a camera to pay for itself unless the insurance company will give you a decent discount for having one, it can certainly be an advantage to insurance company, but I doubt that many give a double discount for more than one camera?

It is nice to be able to easily prove your not at fault, but in most cases you are innocent until proven guilty and so cameras are more likely to be useful in proving your guilt than in proving your innocence!

Given that I don't spend all day on the road, I'm struggling to justify the cost of more than one camera...

In the majority of circumstances, if the car gets seriously damaged then my insurance will be paying, doesn't matter if I have a camera or not. My future premiums will be affected by the fact that I have had an accident, doesn't matter if I have a camera or not. Even if someone deliberately causes an accident with you to get a pay out it is your insurance company that pays, not you and your next insurance premium will increase even if you have proved that it was not your fault.

It is not all that easy for a camera to pay for itself unless the insurance company will give you a decent discount for having one, it can certainly be an advantage to insurance company, but I doubt that many give a double discount for more than one camera?

It is nice to be able to easily prove your not at fault, but in most cases you are innocent until proven guilty and so cameras are more likely to be useful in proving your guilt than in proving your innocence!

Given that I don't spend all day on the road, I'm struggling to justify the cost of more than one camera...
my insurance companies have never raised my rates when I was not at fault.

My average commute is around 50 minutes per day in total, less on a good day. It was during one of these that I had my first prang - some idiot cut me up. He lied to his insurance. With two conflicting stories, the insurance was going 50/50 but my video evidence proved he was 100% at fault. Cost to repair my car was in excess of £1k, his would've been higher since his rear bumper was bent in half backwards as it was ripped off his car. OK, so insurance pays for all this - but I would've also paid out big time - not only major increase in premiums but also the heavy excess I had applied in order to shave the quote.
As I drive for a living, I'm covering 150 - 200 miles per day, all local stuf. So the chances
my insurance companies have never raised my rates when I was not at fault.
It wasn't a huge increase but it was certainly a higher % than the other 3 cars in the household at the time.

also the heavy excess I had applied in order to shave the quote.

As I drive for a living, I'm covering 150 - 200 miles per day, all local stuf. So the chances
Not having to pay an excess, or being happy to have a big excess and thus save on insurance payments must be the main way that cameras pay for themselves, but it still seems that you need to have accidents frequently, or have cameras that live for many years. I can see that it all makes sense if you are doing a high mileage, but then again insurance costs for people who do high mileages are little different to those that do just average mileages which suggests that mileage isn't actually significant!

So far everything is theory or speculation, I want to see some data that proves that front/rear/side cameras pay for themselves...

I have two dash cams, a G1W and a G1WH which I am very happy with. Besides using the cams on my driving job, I use the cams to record outdoor scenery and where I have traveled which I save. I could careless if my cameras paid for themselves. For me it's more like a hobby.

I have two dash cams, a G1W and a G1WH which I am very happy with. Besides using the cams on my driving job, I use the cams to record outdoor scenery and where I have traveled which I save. I could careless if my cameras paid for themselves. For me it's more like a hobby.
Good post, that is the main reason for my front facing 0803 too, one good video from a holiday can justify its existance. But for recording my travels a single front facing camera is fine, as an accident camera I find it a little lacking, ideally it would also have side and rear views and those would normally have no purpose other than for use as evidence after an accident hence wondering if they are worth the cost & effort.

Not having to pay an excess, or being happy to have a big excess and thus save on insurance payments must be the main way that cameras pay for themselves, but it still seems that you need to have accidents frequently, or have cameras that live for many years. I can see that it all makes sense if you are doing a high mileage, but then again insurance costs for people who do high mileages are little different to those that do just average mileages which suggests that mileage isn't actually significant!

So far everything is theory or speculation, I want to see some data that proves that front/rear/side cameras pay for themselves...
I used to have zero excess but the industry started changing. I discovered I could make a substantial saving by volunteering a huge excess.
In any case, I consider myself to be such a good driver (no accidents or incidents to that point) that I was sure I would never need to pay the excess.
My car insurance is based on 8000 miles per year.
I bought my first camera for a couple of reasons. firstly, as a professional driver, I had noticed how standards seemed to be falling on the roads and, secondly, I like gadgets.
The cam I had at the time was a T-eye, with front & rear lens built in, the rear lens caught the other driver speeding past a load of cars behind me - so proving what a loony he was & completely blowing his pitiful excuse right off the road.
The front lens showed as he came past, hesitated (due to the car in front of me dithering) then swerve into my lane.

Without the cam, my insurance would've gone 50/50 - costing around £2k for repairs plus my excess of £500 & greatly increased premiums.
The £200 cam saved all that - therefore it paid for itself.

In any case, a G1W costing £30-odd is peanuts, even if you buy a brand new cam every 12 months, what's £3 per month for such peace of mind? After all, we all pay out fortunes for multiple insurances which most of us never even use (car, house, health, pet...).
Would a rear cam pay for itself?
A year or two after the above event, the T-eye packed up & I bought a DOD, just the one lens. I had a mini run into the back of me, damaged my cycle carrier & tobar electrics. The driver obviously knew she'd done wrong & managed to back up enough to drive around me & away. The cam only caught a bit of this - a rear cam would've had her bang to rights & facing a police questioning for driving off.

I was thinking .... rather than a rear camera...why not mount one G1W facing forward on the front windshield..and one facing backwards. That would give you pretty much 360 degrees of view wouldn't it? I mnight just do this instead of mounting a second G1W in the rear window. I'd like to have the side views as well as rear

Back