Need mini video cam to record from our door window

...I am certian that it is someone's intentional act! 4 feet from my door is my neighbor's door on same balcony . same on floor above and below me. I don't see this on their door.This type of biscuit and bagel are not left, hidden on my neighbor's door. In today's incident, this biscuit or bread wasn't there when we left at 4 pm. When we arrived back at 6pm, this food item is left there. in previous incident, a half size bagel was hidden right under the curb and under the doormat that you see....
I'm not going to argue with what you believe. However, what you describe is exactly what I've seen squirrels do around my house. In the past I've found 'hidden' surprises under the cushions of my patio furniture, inside the cover of my barbecue grill, and in the flower pots my wife likes to use for outdoor decoration.

I'm not going to argue with what you believe. However, what you describe is exactly what I've seen squirrels do around my house. In the past I've found 'hidden' surprises under the cushions of my patio furniture, inside the cover of my barbecue grill, and in the flower pots my wife likes to use for outdoor decoration.
Okay but where would the food item the biscuit come from? From my neighbor ‘s kitchen? We don’t leave doors or windows open . If I see on the gangways , I can understand that maybe someone intentionally threw this and a squirrel would take it around . Why it is happening on my kitchen door at the door mat and under the doormat ? Some one who just thinks it is funny to do this?

Okay but where would the food item the biscuit come from?...

Someone's unsecured trash.

...Why it is happening on my kitchen door at the door mat and under the doormat ?...
Because it's a convenient location for the squirrel when it climbs the wall looking for a hiding location. They are very adept at climbing.

Maybe there's a way to do this without spending any $.
Can you set up your smartphone somehow to view that area? Looking out a window? Or, outside (if it can be hidden, and if the weather permits).
If you can do this, make sure to look for apps to get time-lapse pictures. If you use Android, there are a bunch.

Personally I tend to agree with the others about this likely being an animal doing it, and here's why: First it's food which animals are interested in while few humans would even touch scrap food from someone else. Second, humans wishing to mess with you would do something far nastier than this. Third, it's on the ground so to speak, which is as high as small animals can reach. Though I don't know how it affects birds, I do know that if you sprinkle the place and surrounding area with Cayenne Pepper 4 legged animals will stay well clear of there. Animals have very sensitive noses and the pepper is very irritating to them while on the ground it won't affect humans with their noses so far away. Just a couple bucks from the spice section at the grocery store; reapply after a week or after a rain. If the peppering ends the incidents it was an animal. If it doesn't stop it's a human (or maybe a bird) doing it.

If you are still intent on a cam:

Though I don't own one, I have researched the "Wyze" cam and believe it will be the best solution for you. You could also consider using a "Ring" brand doorbell cam which probably won't capture anything below waist level with it mounted so high, but anyone walking would be seen.

There are no cams made specifically for mounting as you'll be doing, but you can think your way around that- double-stick tape, suction cups made for other devices- something would work. You'll also need to power them somehow. Instead of a dangling wire for that, take a twist-tie from garbage or bread bag and run it into a door hinge to hold the power wire out of the way.

Another alternative would be a "Nanny Cam", which is battery powered and records only when it senses motion. My limited experience with one of these (which was disguised as a clock) showed it to be not entirely reliable, with the motion sensing range quite limited. With few recordings saved, it covered around 48 hours before the battery needed charging. It held about 30 minutes of video files in total. Other ones may be better.

You could repurpose a dashcam for this, although they're probably not the best choice. The B1W would provide very easy mounting with it being very rotatable and it just sticks in place. A 64 GB card with it will give you 6+ hours of recording. It's design is slim and discreet. Still needs a power wire.

Try the pepper first and I'll bet it stops- it's the cheapest and fastest possible solution. Betcha it solves the problem today.

Phil

Hehe yeah they are furry little ninjas, with a serious stash food away tendencies.
And a just as developed, "see where the other guys stash their food and then go steal it as soon as he turn his back" tendencies
So squirrels have developed fake stashing of food, which are a interesting thing not many animals are able to do, and their stashing stuff away as it also sound here are not always in a elaborate manner.

Someone been busy i see :)

Maybe there's a way to do this without spending any $.
Can you set up your smartphone somehow to view that area? Looking out a window? Or, outside (if it can be hidden, and if the weather permits).
If you can do this, make sure to look for apps to get time-lapse pictures. If you use Android, there are a bunch.
You mean leave a smart phone outside at the door? May well get stolen . We sleep at night and and during the day I can’t be looking all the time at the kitchen door at the balcony. A tiny cam that is battery run doesn’t seem to exist . If such exist I would hide it under the door or stick it to my door and tape it to capture imagine of all going up and down the stairs and whoever comes close to our kitchen door

A B1W makes a very good simple CCTV camera - I've done this at home myself. It is fairly discreet and comes with a mount that allows you to fix it straight onto a vertical window, then rotate up/down to the angle you want. This photo gives you an idea, even though the glass is not quite vertical here.

With the latest low bitrate beta firmware you will get around 16 hours recording on a 32GB card. It even has WiFi so you can watch remotely on your phone if you want. You can power it using a small USB powerbank taped to the back of the door. When you're done you can still use the powerbank to charge your phone etc.

Last edited:
You mean leave a smart phone outside at the door? May well get stolen . We sleep at night and and during the day I can’t be looking all the time at the kitchen door at the balcony. A tiny cam that is battery run doesn’t seem to exist . If such exist I would hide it under the door or stick it to my door and tape it to capture imagine of all going up and down the stairs and whoever comes close to our kitchen door

The Mobius is a tiny camera that has a battery. It will operate for approximately two hours with each charge. If you need longer run times you could use virtually any other small camera that operates on 5 volts by attaching a small power bank like TonyM suggests which would give you many hours of footage. In fact, the WyzeCam discussed earlier, powered by a small power bank could be the solution you are looking for. At 20 dollars, with all its features and mounting flexibility seems like it would make a lot of sense for this use. And then, when this situation is eventually resolved you'll have a very nice home security camera that can be put to good use elsewhere around your condo.

In yesterday’s incident , as you can see in the picture that the bread biscuit very visible not hidden. But the thing is It is still right under my door and not on the balcony or on my neighbor’s kitchen door. So it still looks suspicious where it is placed . In previous incident , the half size bagel was half hidden under the doormat and not very visible like the one yesterday. No so out in the plain sight . It maybe an animal getting those food from neighbors kitchen and somehow wants to bring them to MY kitchen door and dine under the curb below the door ? Bit suspicious

like the others, I absolutely think it's an animal doing this. but it may still be entertaining to set up a cheap camera with motion detection to catch the action.

WYZE has 3 cams on their website. The cheapest one is the smallest and easy to attach vertically on door or window? I have to see if I can somehow bring the cord to plug in between the cam and kitchen counter top outlet. Will be hard since we are talking about the door inside.
How about this

Spy Camera WiFi Mini Wireless Hidden Camera, WooCam 1080P Portable Home Security Cameras Nanny Cam Indoor Video Recorder
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07MPW6KQ6

It looks tiny thus not much visible and very easy to attach with a tape on the small window on the door on the glass on the kitchen security door?

Last edited:
At that price, I’d rather go for something proven like the wyze cam or Yi home cameras. They’re not much bigger than what you posted. It takes just a little bit of creativity, but mounting them will be relatively easy.

3M VHB to the inside of the door window. I was looking at the Wyze and it looks like there is enough surface area on the lens side to do this.

You'll just have to figure out how to get power to it. (which seems to be your biggest stumbling point)

I don't think there is much totally wireless, cheap.

The one you mention at amazon, I don't see any mention of battery size or how long it runs without external power?

3M VHB to the inside of the door window. I was looking at the Wyze and it looks like there is enough surface area on the lens side to do this.

You'll just have to figure out how to get power to it. (which seems to be your biggest stumbling point)

I don't think there is much totally wireless, cheap.

The one you mention at amazon, I don't see any mention of battery size or how long it runs without external power?

I agree about using 3M VHB tape on the inside of the door to secure a camera. As for how to get power to the camera, a small power bank could be also be attached to the inside of the door with 3M VHB tape. Another option would be Dual-lock tape or heavy duty Velcro.

Last edited:
I agree about using 3M VHB tape on the inside of the door to secure a camera. As for how to get power to the camera, a small power bank could be also be attached to the inside of the door with 3M VHB tape. Another option would be Dual-lock tape or heavy duty Velcro.
I order that camera on amazon for $25.99. I will look at it once it arrived. I will worry about the tapes or power cords later.
Personally I tend to agree with the others about this likely being an animal doing it, and here's why: First it's food which animals are interested in while few humans would even touch scrap food from someone else. Second, humans wishing to mess with you would do something far nastier than this. Third, it's on the ground so to speak, which is as high as small animals can reach. Though I don't know how it affects birds, I do know that if you sprinkle the place and surrounding area with Cayenne Pepper 4 legged animals will stay well clear of there. Animals have very sensitive noses and the pepper is very irritating to them while on the ground it won't affect humans with their noses so far away. Just a couple bucks from the spice section at the grocery store; reapply after a week or after a rain. If the peppering ends the incidents it was an animal. If it doesn't stop it's a human (or maybe a bird) doing it.

Though I don't own one, I have researched the "Wyze" cam and believe it will be the best solution for you. You could also consider using a "Ring" brand doorbell cam which probably won't capture anything below waist level with it mounted so high, but anyone walking would be seen.

There are no cams made specifically for mounting as you'll be doing, but you can think your way around that- double-stick tape, suction cups made for other devices- something would work. You'll also need to power them somehow. Instead of a dangling wire for that, take a twist-tie from garbage or bread bag and run it into a door hinge to hold the power wire out of the way.

Another alternative would be a "Nanny Cam", which is battery powered and records only when it senses motion. My limited experience with one of these (which was disguised as a clock) showed it to be not entirely reliable, with the motion sensing range quite limited. With few recordings saved, it covered around 48 hours before the battery needed charging. It held about 30 minutes of video files in total. Other ones may be better.

You could repurpose a dashcam for this, although they're probably not the best choice. The B1W would provide very easy mounting with it being very rotatable and it just sticks in place. A 64 GB card with it will give you 6+ hours of recording. It's design is slim and discreet. Still needs a power wire.

Try the pepper first and I'll bet it stops- it's the cheapest and fastest possible solution. Betcha it solves the problem today.

Phil
that pepper looks like a Turmeric powder which we have. I also have other Indian spices. Can I apply some of them under the door( under the curb on the door) around the doormat?

Phil
Looks like indian spices. We have the indian spices at home and we have red chilly powder. any link of the one you suggest where I can buy for few bucks?
If it is an animal, it may help but useless of it someone's intentional act.

that pepper looks like a Turmeric powder which we have. I also have other Indian spices. Can I apply some of them under the door( under the curb on the door) around the doormat?

Looks like indian spices. We have the indian spices at home and we have red chilly powder. any link of the one you suggest where I can buy for few bucks?
If it is an animal, it may help but useless of it someone's intentional act.

Tumeric is a rhizome similar to and related to ginger root. Red Chili is a pepper plant that is closer to what you'd want but it may not be quite hot enough. To deter animals you really need cayenne pepper powder (as Sawmaster already mentioned). Cayenne comes in various strengths called Scoville Units which is a measure of the capaicin concentration in the pepper. The higher you go on the Scoville Scale the hotter the pepper powder will be. Just last week I purchased some 90,000 SHU (Scoville Heat Unit) cayenne powder instead of the 50,000 SHU cayenne I usually buy. The stuff is dangerous! The tiniest amount is almost too much to cook with. That's what you want to get rid of squirrels.

If you have a local food coop nearby that sells bulk herbs and spices, that will be a good place to find the kind of cayenne pepper you need.

http://www.cayennepepper.info/cayenne-pepper-heat-units.html

Last edited:
Tumeric is a rhizome similar to and related to ginger root. Red Chili is a pepper plant that is closer to what you'd want but it may not be quite hot enough. To deter animals you really need cayenne pepper powder. Cayenne comes in various strengths called Scoville Units which is a measure of the capaicin concentration in the pepper. The higher you go on the Scoville Scale the hotter the pepper powder will be. Just last week I purchased some 90,000 SHU (Scoville Heat Unit) cayenne powder instead of the usual 50,000 SHU cayenne I usually buy. The stuff is dangerous! The tiniest amount is almost too much to cook with. That's what you want to get rid of squirrels.

If you have a local food coop nearby that sells bulk herbs and spices, that will be a good place to find the kind of cayenne pepper you need.

http://www.cayennepepper.info/cayenne-pepper-heat-units.html
my wife told me it is same as the red spicy chilly hot pepper from the store. We buy the red hot chilly and use blender at home for use when cooking.

OMG! You don't need 5LB of the stuff! :eek:

Like I said, go to a local store and pick up a few ounces. I buy enough to fill a typical spice jar and the cost is minimal; a buck or two.

Remember, check the Scoville Units before you buy. You want the really hot stuff!

OMG! You don't need 5LB of the stuff! :eek:

Like I said, go to a local store and pick up a few ounces. I buy enough to fill a typical spice jar and the cost is minimal; a buck or two.

Remember, check the Scoville Units before you buy. You want the really hot stuff!
I ordered from my non prime amazon account and can't believe I got it today after ordered it yesterday.

I just got the Wyz CAM and went thru the set up and connected everything and inserted a 32GB micro SD card as well. I have NOT attached or hooked this up anywhere yet. Just sitting on my table at the moment.
few questions here,

in the settings, there are options like sound, record speak, should set it to RECORD? I have SD card inside the cam. what about the sound? I know it sounds like a dumb question.

Do I have to inset SD card to be able to view any recordings later? lets say I put this on my door, I find a food placed under my door and now I want to see who did it. I check it on the app on my iphone right? Where do I go look to see who did it? I have to set it on record when setting up the cam? can i record without an SD card? Can you watch who did it?

Last edited:
Back