Need mini video cam to record from our door window

I ordered from my non prime amazon account and can't believe I got it today after ordered it yesterday.

I just got the Wyz CAM and went thru the set up and connected everything and inserted a 32GB micro SD card as well. I have NOT attached or hooked this up anywhere yet. Just sitting on my table at the moment.

in the settings, there are options like sound, record speak, should set it to RECORD? I have SD card inside the cam. what about the sound? I know it sounds like a dumb question.

The camera should have come with a little manual to provide basic instructions. If you go to the Wyze web site, you'll find a "Learn & Explore" page and an online community for help. Also, they offer email support. (Monday-Saturday, 8am-4pm PT) You can also call them directly for help - 1-844-WYZECAM.

I assume you must have downloaded and installed the app on your smartphone or tablet. That's where all the settings and functionality will be as well as a view of what the camera sees.

I remember when I got this camera most of the functions were pretty self explanatory or easy to figure out with a little trial and error. They've update this camera since I bought mine so I'm not sure if everything is the same. Just play around and try stuff and I'll bet you can figure it all out pretty quickly.

Here's the user guide: https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022543292-Wyze-Cam-Settings-Use

Last edited:
I already went thru the video and instructions and all set up are completed ! I wanted to know if I should turn on the RECORD? Do I need an SD card to be able to see what was recorded or captured?

I already went thru the video and instructions and all set up are completed ! I wanted to know if I should turn on the RECORD? Do I need an SD card to be able to see what was recorded or captured?

Well, I assume you bought this camera to capture what happens in front of your door, so yes, you should turn on record.

For recording, it will record to the provided cloud service or a memory card. I happen to always use a memory card, so I actually don't know if it will record without the card installed. Sorry, I don't really have time right now to go test it.

Like I suggested previously, try stuff and see what happens. You won't damage anything. If it records (to the cloud) without the SD card installed, you'll find out right away. Same goes with all the settings. Try different settings and see what results you get.
For example, I live in a rural area with really poor internet bandwidth and so I needed to do trial and error testing to see what worked best for my situation.

Well, I assume you bought this camera to capture what happens in front of your door, so yes, you should turn on record.

For recording, it will record to the provided cloud service or a memory card. I happen to always use a memory card, so I actually don't know if it will record without the card installed. Sorry, I don't really have time right now to go test it.

Like I suggested previously, try stuff and see what happens. You won't damage anything. If it records (to the cloud) without the SD card installed, you'll find out right away. Same goes with all the settings. Try different settings and see what results you get.
For example, I live in a rural area with really poor internet bandwidth and so I needed to do trial and error testing to see what worked best for my situation.
I called and the rep aid I don’t need an SD card and I don’t have to turn on the Record. It will record 12 secs of any motion detected which she said I can watch later . If I put this on top of door , will it detect a mice or squirrel under the door around the doormat?

I called and the rep aid I don’t need an SD card and I don’t have to turn on the Record. It will record 12 secs of any motion detected which she said I can watch later . If I put this on top of door , will it detect a mice or squirrel under the door around the doormat?

I don't know if it will detect a mouse or squirrel under your door. If the camera is set up and aimed properly, it should. For the third time now I suggest that you give it a try and see what happens!

BTW, you don't necessarily have to mount the camera on top of the door. I see in your photos you have a glass door in front of your primary entrance door. If you have trouble capturing what happens down at the bottom where the animals may be leaving food, you could mount the camera to the bottom section of the door on the outside and aim it towards your door mat through the glass security/storm door.

Last edited:
I don't know if it will detect a mouse or squirrel under your door. If the camera is set up and aimed properly, it should. For the third time now I suggest that you give it a try and see what happens!

BTW, you don't necessarily have to mount the camera on top of the door. I see in your photos you have a glass door in front of your primary entrance door. If you have trouble capturing what happens down at the bottom where the animals may be leaving food, you could mount the camera to the bottom section of the door on the outside and aim it towards your door mat through the glass security/storm door.
It is detecting fine without the record button . I tested it and played . I will need a longer cord then what came with the device . Will search and buy on amazon .may go for 20 or 25 ft. if too long, i can just use a velcro. I will post few pics below of where I will set up this cam and the cord I will be affixing. The type of tape you mentioned that looked like a cord will work fine to take the camera on top of the door and the cord on edge of the door? I just ordered this one on amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/B007Y7DQNK. 1 inch wide and 15 ft

Attachments

• 69CC61ED-5602-4DB5-9C8C-86055188AEE3.jpeg
    69CC61ED-5602-4DB5-9C8C-86055188AEE3.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 13
  • B1BFB79C-EB2D-4E81-9E40-3529DBAE526C.jpeg
    B1BFB79C-EB2D-4E81-9E40-3529DBAE526C.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 5CD891FE-3062-4C9A-AB65-FBCEDDD4DF0E.jpeg
    5CD891FE-3062-4C9A-AB65-FBCEDDD4DF0E.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 13
  • EA06FFB2-97E0-485D-869F-AB6C44906CB2.jpeg
    EA06FFB2-97E0-485D-869F-AB6C44906CB2.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
This thing stats on top corner between the security door and main door. The only problem is the cord. When I close the main door, it touches/hits the cord on top or bottom. Can't properly close the door.
So I couldn't finish setting this up today. I may have to keep thinking or maybe get a handyman for help.

Meanwhile, I saw this

Reolink Argus® 2 Wire-Free Rechargeable Battery Security Camera decent reviews on amazon and elsewhere! WOW

100% Wire-Free, Rechargeable Battery Powered,

https://reolink.com/product/argus-2..._504-DE75oM0vMtGObCAdYakKC1x1gc9vLhCup5rT414o

Sounds very interesting but not cheap. any one know this?

That is a fairly expensive camera , plus I notice they don't even say exactly how long it runs on a single charge even in the specs section of the web site. This would be an expensive way to to try catch a squirrel on camera.

As previously suggested, why not just buy a small power bank and mount it on your door frame using 3M VHB tape. Actually, a better solution for this situation would probably be a different 3M product called Dual Lock Tape, also sold as Scotch Fasteners. The product works similarly to Velcro but is MUCH stronger.

You can buy a small 5,000 mAh or 10,0000 mAh power bank for about 20 or 30 dollars. The 10,000 mAh power bank would likely run the WyzeCam for up to 24 hours or longer before requiring a charge. You would connect the camera to the power bank using a very short USB-A to micro cable or just use the one that came with your WyzCam.

You could buy a small Anker 10,000 mAh power bank like this or something similar. It's about the size of a deck of cards and probably weights a pound or so. (maybe less, since they tout how lightweight this PB is.)

After you catch the squirrel or other culprit leaving food at your door, the power bank can be used for other things like running a dash cam when you are parked somewhere.

The combination of your new WyzeCam and a small power bank should provide better performance (runtime) than that expensive IP camera and be a lot cheaper. Plus you already have the WyzeCam.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0194WDVHI
anker.jpg

You would attach it to the door frame using several Scotch Fasteners like this.
These come in black or clear and can hold a lot of weight if applied properly with enough tape coverage to handle the weight of the power bank.

Dual Lock Tape comes in rolls or individual squares or rectangles. Probably several 1 x 3 inch strips should do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=scotch+fasteners&crid=27CGQMCLVURIR&sprefix=Scotch+Fasten,aps,184&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13

scotch.jpg

scotch2.jpg

door_frame.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried mounting it on the inside of the window on the door?

Have you tried mounting it on the inside of the window on the door?
The issue with the cord is the same . When you open the door with the small window.the cord would be touched.

That is a fairly expensive camera , plus I notice they don't even say exactly how long it runs on a single charge even in the specs section of the web site. This would be an expensive way to to try catch a squirrel on camera.

As previously suggested, why not just buy a small power bank and mount it on your door frame using 3M VHB tape. Actually, a better solution for this situation would probably be a different 3M product called Dual Lock Tape, also sold as Scotch Fasteners. The product works similarly to Velcro but is MUCH stronger.

You can buy a small 5,000 mAh or 10,0000 mAh power bank for about 20 or 30 dollars. The 10,000 mAh power bank would likely run the WyzeCam for up to 24 hours or longer before requiring a charge. You would connect the camera to the power bank using a very short USB-A to micro cable or just use the one that came with your WyzCam.

You could buy a small Anker 10,000 mAh power bank like this or something similar. It's about the size of a deck of cards and probably weights a pound or so.

After you catch the squirrel or other culprit leaving food at your door, the power bank can be used for other things like running a dash cam when you are parked somewhere.

The combination of your new WyzeCam and a small power bank should provide better performance (runtime) than that expensive IP camera and be a lot cheaper. Plus you already have the WyzeCam.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0194WDVHI
View attachment 45711

You would attach it to the door frame using several Scotch Fasteners like this.
These come in black or clear and can hold a lot of weight if applied properly with enough tape coverage to handle the weight of the power bank.

Dual Lock Tape comes in rolls or individual squares or rectangles. Probably several 1 x 3 inch strips should do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=scotch+fasteners&crid=27CGQMCLVURIR&sprefix=Scotch+Fasten,aps,184&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13

View attachment 45712

View attachment 45713

View attachment 45714
Thanks for the advice. I do have Anker power banks and may try that . This is a good affordable cam so I won’t return it even if I decide now to use it for this purpose .looks like a good cam for indoor use and even in use in car with the power bank such as when renting car. I got 25ft cord on amazon for $8.

Attached with Anker astro e2 2nd gen. It has 16K juice when charged I believe . I had it fully charged. I don’t know how long this will last. Hope it doesn’t fall on us . The tape seems quite strong cos not easy to remove. I will look at the other tape

Attachments

• 86A2433E-385B-434C-AB88-612043B4A92D.jpeg
    86A2433E-385B-434C-AB88-612043B4A92D.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 19
That looks OK but that's not how that tape works! The tape is double sided; it is sticky on both sides. That means that you need to remove the protective plastic with the "3M" printing on it from the tape and use strips of tape between the back of the power bank and the door frame. In other words, it would be the same as the typical 3M VHB tape that comes on dash cam mounts for attaching to your car's windshield. The way you used it will work but it's messy to remove and you are wasting a lot of expensive 3M VHB tape! It will be a real hassle each time you need to charge the power bank.

Please consider getting some Scotch Fasteners like I mentioned above. It will make your life much easier when you want to charge the power bank each time because it works like Velcro and so you can remove the power bank and then snap it back on.

Also see this document: "How to use 3M™ VHB™ Tapes".

Last edited:
I feel like our collective “leg” is being pulled. :D

no camera runs on fresh air, it's going to need power one way or another
There are some models which can run on batteries. For example this doorbell which can be also a CCTV camera.

enjoy,
Mtz

There are some models which can run on batteries. For example this doorbell which can be also a CCTV camera.

enjoy,
Mtz

I don't have time at the moment to watch the whole lengthy video so I'll just ask. How long will this camera run on batteries before it requires charging?

Back