Need rear dashcam for 3 wheeled motorcycle with 3.5”-4” lcd video screen

harriska2

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need a hardened system that is waterproof, well made. It needs to have a big enough screen to act as a backup camera. Currently have this

But the monitor stopped working as the rains came (even though I have a roof over the Arcimoto). The monitor has stayed dry as it is tucked into the dashboard windshield. Running off the ignition fuse.

There don’t seem to be backup systems for motorcycles that work well in the sun (I’ve tried the ones that act as rear view mirror/lcd and they don’t work in the sun at all) or are lcds required to be in a fully enclosed cab. A dashcam would be good, nothing fancy. If it could simply show the rear cam all the time but record front and back, I’d be good with that.

Suggestions?

I'm not aware of anything that's going to be waterproof and has a screen.

The INNOVV K2 is great as a motorycle dual channel dashcam, but there is no screen. You can live screen to your phone or tablet via wifi Android/iOS app though.
(slight delay and mirrored image though is another issue)

Anything priced below $300 with these types of motorcycle camera systems have generally been unreliable in my experience. Saw some sketchy reviews, unknown products to me though.

Hooking to the phone is a crapshoot. Plus we don’t usually mount our phone.

DV688 is a little out of date, you might have a look at our new item DV988, which comes with a big 4" touch screen;
Seeing as there’s no price or buy it now, I don’t think it is an option right now.

Using the DV988 which would be perfect but the LCD is completely unusable in any light (even cloudy), the cameras are very low quality, and removing the micro SD is far more difficult than it should be. Otherwise it is a great kit.

Using the DV988 which would be perfect but the LCD is completely unusable in any light (even cloudy),
Suggest using a sunshine windshield!

the cameras are very low quality
Frankly speaking, not ideal for film recording; Not a Go-Pro style action camera;
and removing the micro SD is far more difficult than it should be.
Card-Slot is much deeper than regular cameras to avoid the water leak-in;

Suggest using a sunshine windshield!

Frankly speaking, not ideal for film recording; Not a Go-Pro style action camera;

Card-Slot is much deeper than regular cameras to avoid the water leak-in;
Your answers on the first 2 critiques are rather poor. It is a dashcam. The cameras need to have a certain amount of quality. These don’t have any so if I record a hit and run, I may not catch the license even on a clear sunny day. A ”sunshine windshield.” What is that? A cover? It doesn’t help. Even on a cloudy day it isn’t viewable. There is no ability to even adjust the brightness.

The cameras need to have a certain amount of quality. These don’t have any so if I record a hit and run, I may not catch the license even on a clear sunny day.
Not so bad... Please offer raw footage for double-checking. DV988 selles well in Japan for two years, not heard so many complaints against the footage quality yet!
A ”sunshine windshield.” What is that? A cover?
Yes, I think a sunshine cover should be helpful.

Yes, I heard you and want a small suggestion. I also want to install a dashcam on my 3 wheeled motorcycles. I want to upgrade the overall interior and want to make it innovative. Also, I am thinking about safety, this is another reason. So tell me that which dashcam is best suitable for every season and works perfectly for me.

Thanks.
If you need a screen the blueskysea dv988 is probably best. The cameras are nowhere as good as my viofo a119 on my car but it is good enough.

I need a hardened system that is waterproof, well made. It needs to have a big enough screen to act as a backup camera. Currently have this

But the monitor stopped working as the rains came (even though I have a roof over the Arcimoto). The monitor has stayed dry as it is tucked into the dashboard windshield. Running off the ignition fuse.

There don’t seem to be backup systems for motorcycles that work well in the sun (I’ve tried the ones that act as rear view mirror/lcd and they don’t work in the sun at all) or are lcds required to be in a fully enclosed cab. A dashcam would be good, nothing fancy. If it could simply show the rear cam all the time but record front and back, I’d be good with that.

Suggestions on garage flooring atlanta?
I'm afraid I can't call it a Dash cam if there's no dashboard, but hey, let's get to the point.

Things are getting scary in my city with people riding wrong side almost all the time, and expecting me to get out of the way. Nothing too bad, but I've had a minor nudge with one guy around 5-6 months ago, so I could use a cam for long run.

I have a 2013 Duke 390. I already have a Yi camera, the 16 Megapixel one which does 1080p60 easily, 48 and 30 fps are an option too specially for darker scenes..
One option is to place this cam inside the pilot lamp place, under the headlight. But then again, what will happen to pilot lamp itself?

As for power supply, its possible to run this camera from USB without a battery of its own, which is what I'm considering, but it still requires to be turned on from the device, which will be sadly inside the pilot lamp assembly... not too accessble.

What are my options? Is a decent, secured, good quality option for dash cam available for motorcycles?

I'm afraid I can't call it a Dash cam if there's no dashboard, but hey, let's get to the point.

Things are getting scary in my city with people riding wrong side almost all the time, and expecting me to get out of the way. Nothing too bad, but I've had a minor nudge with one guy around 5-6 months ago, so I could use a cam for long run.

I have a 2013 Duke 390. I already have a Yi camera, the 16 Megapixel one which does 1080p60 easily, 48 and 30 fps are an option too specially for darker scenes..
One option is to place this cam inside the pilot lamp place, under the headlight. But then again, what will happen to pilot lamp itself?

As for power supply, its possible to run this camera from USB without a battery of its own, which is what I'm considering, but it still requires to be turned on from the device, which will be sadly inside the pilot lamp assembly... not too accessble.

What are my options? Is a decent, secured, good quality option for dash cam available for motorcycles?
I have a dashboard on my 3 wheeled Arcimoto FUV motorcycle ;) I ended up with a Blueskysea DV988

That's interesting, what do you want to see on the screen of the moto dashcam? Will you be looking at the screen while driving, or you be looking still on the road? And if you need to copy some file to your smartphone, you still have to turn on your smartphone and connect to the dashcam. Or I do not understand something?
It seems to me that all these toys - a large screen (and even more so with touch controls) on a motorcycle, are nothing more than toys that are completely unnecessary.
Okay, still in cars, but there are few manufacturers using a touch screen, and a lot of dashcams without a screen at all. Do not forget, this is not a tablet for your games, the dashcam must reliably record, and if necessary, copy the video file to your smartphone. Even if you use a feature phone - how are you going to copy the video from the recorder?
My personal opinion is that you don’t need a screen for a moto dashcam a smartphone is enough for all functions.
As an example, I can cite the Blueskysea B1W car dashcam - a very reliable machine, it has no screen and only one button!

And if there is no screen on the dashcam - you can hide the dashcam under the seat from vandals, this will not diminish functionality, unless you need "show-offs" on your motorcycle, well, then put the PANASONIC TOUGHPAD FZ-G1 for beauty - then that's exactly it see the "coolness". ;)

And no matter what they say, I would suggest paying attention to Viofo MT1.
Or attach the Yi action camera to the steering wheel
moto DVR_2.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Motorcycle Cameras 5
Back