Need recommendations.

Get.Schwifty

Reaction score
Country
United States
This will be my first dash cam. I see a growing need for drivers to protect themselves against fraud and such. My issue is that, since I am new, I don't know too much. I have done hours of research and feel like I'm just spinning my wheels. I hoping y'all can give me some suggestions based on my needs, I'd like suggestions for a varied price range as I have not set a limit yet.

1.) Heat tolerance - I live in Texas and our summer temperatures can surpass 100*
2.) Reliable
3.) Discrete
4.) Good video quality - day and night
5.) Parking mode - Are there differences? Should I look for something specific?

Most of these are important to me. Parking mode I can rethink if necessary.
I understand many come with a microphone so if they have the capability to turn that on/off (I don't see that I'll use it) would be great.

Thank you for the help

Viofo a119s seems a great contender

If something happens very fast where your cam may not pick up a license plate, having the mic on is handy so you can scream it out! it also helps if someone comes up to your window (off camera) hurling abuse at you, I think it can be switched off on the A119s anyway if necessary

Thank you for the reply. I have seen pretty much equal reviews for the a119s and the street guardian.
The a119s is on my list, as well as, the street guardian SGGCX2, the thinkware F800/F800 pro and the Blackvue R750S - 1CH/ DR590 - 1CH. I have not looked into the blackvue or thinkware models really though.

...I understand many come with a microphone so if they have the capability to turn that on/off (I don't see that I'll use it) would be great...
One major advantage (to me) of having a microphone is that after listening to some of my recordings I no longer sing along to the music I'm playing. :eek:

I recently purchased a Garmin Dash Cam 45. I did a ton research before deciding on it. A few factors that I considered when going with the Garmin

1. A US based company with stellar warranty and support (read more on this below)
2. Parking mode with buffer (when using the parking mode cable - hardwire)
3. I live in the desert and it easily gets 110F in the summer. Garmin says the operating temperature is from -4° to 131°F. Time will tell but if it fails, see item # 1.
4. No ugly lettering or writing on the unit. Some dash cams look like company billboards!

Video from my camera, 1080p @ 30FPS looks crisp and clean. If you want higher res video the Dash Cam 55 offers 1440p @ 30 or 1080p @ 60.

I messed up one of my 3M mounting pads (the Garmin box does include an extra) so I called Garmin to ask about ordering a few extras to keep on hand. The Garmin rep said they do not list the 3M pads separately but said the pads do come included with the mount. She asked me how many I wanted and I said 2 pads would be fine. She then said she would send me 2 of the low profile mounts as that should give me plenty of extra 3M disc pads. My cost including shipping? Nothing! The call took all of 5 minutes and I already have a tracking #. Not only did Garmin take care of me but they went above and beyond. I will now have 2 extra low profile mounts and 4 extra 3M pads.

Good luck whatever you decide to get..

Last edited:
Back