Need Some Help

FatherOfFour

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've tried the search function, haven't had much luck though....course, my search skills ARE sub-par lol

Here's what I'm looking for. I need a dashcam, preferably wide angle, video quality doesn't have to be 1080p, although that would be nice. I'd like something that can record directly to a laptop in the vehicle, either through a wired connection, or a wireless (could use bluetooth or wifi) The camera MUST have the ability to record audio input from an external wireless microphone. And finally, price is an issue, they guy I'm searching for this for doesn't have a ton of disposable income, but he's a local cop and really needs something that will meet these specs. I've burned up google and bing looking for something.....any help would be great!

FatherOfFour said:
jokiin said:
your search skills aren't the problem, its your criteria

How so?

camera that records to laptop that must support wireless mic, that's not a dashcam product, you won't find anything like that here

there are professional grade products for law enforcement with similar functionality although I expect your price issue won't work for this (several thousand dollars)

jokiin said:
FatherOfFour said:
jokiin said:
your search skills aren't the problem, its your criteria

How so?

camera that records to laptop that must support wireless mic, that's not a dashcam product, you won't find anything like that here

there are professional grade products for law enforcement with similar functionality although I expect your price issue won't work for this (several thousand dollars)

You're right on the several thousand dollars. If my client had that kind of money there's about a dozen different products I could get him.

The recording to the laptop directly would be nice, but isn't a necessity (thus the reason my OP said that I'd like something that did it, not that it was required) the external mic is though since he needs to be able to record conversations that occur outside his vehicle (ie traffic stop)

jokiin said:

Unfortunately, none of those have the ability to accept an external mic, and wearing/carrying the camera isn't an option for a variety of reasons that really just boil down to it's not practical in a law enforcement application. Appreciate the ideas though.

Last edited by a moderator:
FatherOfFour said:
jokiin said:

Unfortunately, none of those have the ability to accept an external mic, and wearing/carrying the camera isn't an option for a variety of reasons that really just boil down to it's not practical in a law enforcement application. Appreciate the ideas though.

need to change the criteria, either up the budget or rethink the usage scenario, plenty of countries where the police use wearable cameras, it's becoming more common all the time, wireless remote mic in this kind of product I don't see happening anytime soon

jokiin said:
FatherOfFour said:
jokiin said:

need to change the criteria, either up the budget or rethink the usage scenario, plenty of countries where the police use wearable cameras, it's becoming more common all the time, wireless remote mic in this kind of product I don't see happening anytime soon

If I could come up with a wearable camera that would last 10+hrs (battery life), properly video vehicle pursuits, no interfere with the other gear he has to carry on his belt, and was robust enough to handle getting beaten around during foot pursuits and violent resistors then yeah I'd go that route all day long. I don't know I may have to reexamine things possibly something using his existing equipment (ie webcam and external mic all tied to windows media player or something) But I know he really wants a stand-alone system so I thought I'd try to exhaust all avenues before going another route.

FatherOfFour said:
If I could come up with a wearable camera that would last 10+hrs (battery life), properly video vehicle pursuits, no interfere with the other gear he has to carry on his belt, and was robust enough to handle getting beaten around during foot pursuits and violent resistors then yeah I'd go that route all day long. I don't know I may have to reexamine things possibly something using his existing equipment (ie webcam and external mic all tied to windows media player or something) But I know he really wants a stand-alone system so I thought I'd try to exhaust all avenues before going another route.

personally I'd think your webcam/mic/media player would never be simple enough, too much margin for error, think about it if he's going on a foot pursuit a wireless mic is going to be out of range real quick and the camera will be recording a parked car most likely

here's another one as well that is used by police already http://www.signalone.com.au/content_com ... corder.seo

still not ideal as I know this can be done better, but it's the way they're going, wearable cameras

for a low budget solution you'd probably just do better with two devices, a dashcam in the car recording all the time and a wearable audio recording device

jokiin said:
FatherOfFour said:

personally I'd think your webcam/mic/media player would never be simple enough, too much margin for error, think about it if he's going on a foot pursuit a wireless mic is going to be out of range real quick and the camera will be recording a parked car most likely

here's another one as well that is used by police already http://www.signalone.com.au/content_com ... corder.seo

still not ideal as I know this can be done better, but it's the way they're going, wearable cameras
for a low budget solution you'd probably just do better with two devices, a dashcam in the car recording all the time and a wearable audio recording device

What about a Go pro with an external battery pack

Surely a cop would have access to something in the professional line through his employer. We see them on the cop shows all the time with little cameras on their uniforms so why cant he get one.

Would his bosses actually allow him to use one anyway and if so provide it for him

I'll suggest some other options from a company in Taiwan called Lawmate that makes professional-grade surveillance equipment that we often sell to law-enforcement in this country. Their equipment is quite pricey, but it is built well can take a beating. They are working on a remote view 4G based button camera solution that should be out this year.

DVR-1000 - (http://www.pimall.com/nais/pv1000touch.html) This was just released this week and has an internal 325GB HD and can handle multiple types of inputs. It can record in 1080P and can be used with their 1080P button camera (http://www.spytecinc.com/hd-color-shirt ... cRyLJw3e1s).

PV-500L - (http://www.pimall.com/nais/pv500lite.html) A relatively cheaper solution that comes with a VGA button camera. Doesn't have an external mic input however the mic is seperate from the camera and located with a clip on the wire that connects the camera to the DVR. (Similar to on the Koonlung)

Note both of these can be paired with a 7hr battery packs which bring the battery life to approximately what you required.

Aside from those options, you're best bet in terms of battery life is to pair any body-worn camera with a substantial power bank.

Hillbilly said:
Surely a cop would have access to something in the professional line through his employer. We see them on the cop shows all the time with little cameras on their uniforms so why cant he get one.

Would his bosses actually allow him to use one anyway and if so provide it for him

He's a Township Constable, the only things the Constable's Office provides is uniforms, radio, and duty weapon. All other equipment, including the car, is provided by the Officer. The Constable's Office has an almost non-existent budget.

FatherOfFour said:
Hillbilly said:

He's a Township Constable, the only things the Constable's Office provides is uniforms, radio, and duty weapon. All other equipment, including the car, is provided by the Officer. The Constable's Office has an almost non-existent budget.
Have a look at this video The cops have got little cameras on on side of their glasses

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/0 ... yaComments

Back