Need some Jedi wisdom

DegoRed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Longtime reader, wanted to say thanks to everyone for your help you provided to me in the past.

Go a new rig and decided I would put a Cam in it. Currently have a Lukas LK-7900 ACE in my Motorhome that has worked flawlessly for the past year+, so I would not consider myself a new user in the DashCam world, but certainly not very knowledgeable either.

Want to get the latest and greatest for my new vehicle, but it just does not look like there is anything out right now. So my first question, is there anything coming out anytime soon? What is on the horizon if you will.

This SG7LA50G looked promising when it first came out, but seems they are having some problems, and does not look like there are any available to buy right now anyway.

The PANORAMA has been out for over 2 years now, and in my mind that would be a good buy, but the price has not changed in 2 years, and hate paying full price for old technology, usually this stuff drops like a rock after 6 to 8 months. While I get its a good unit, cant get over the 2 year old factor. It also kind of pisses me off that they don't sell this thing as a complete package, you have to buy another pile of accessories to get it the way it really should come out of the box, so the $200 price is misleading, its really closer to $300.

Once I install it, will never take it out, so has to be able to bake in a hot car when parked. With or without GPS does not matter to me. BTW on the other discussion, I also wish the GPS was able to be turned off if one desired.

So what do you Jedi Masters recommend for my new rig? Please advise.

Products with price that 'drops like a rock' do that because they're no good, don't recall Lukas pricing dropping too much either

The Panorama series has been out for sometime yes but has been updated several times, it has only needed minor revisions though and hasn't warranted a complete make over

If you want something capable of baking then keep away from anything with a battery inside

Many of the Korean manufacturers have been focusing on dual cameras during the last year. Take for instance Lukas. The LK-7900 is still their flagship single channel camera (albiet called the LK-7900 ARA, a WiFi version will be released soon as well).
As can be seen on their product page, many new dual cameras but not much action on the single channel cameras. This is a similar story for many of the Korean manufacturers which dominate the high end. On the lower end, there have been some great single channel releases from China but it seems you are looking for a premium product.

The Panorama innovation is non stop. The developer just had a break through last month. There is now full native support to format large exFAT 64GG/128GB/256GB/512GB cards inside the camera. (very impressive firmware updates) Yes it' been around a bit, but is a proven work horse and can eat the eat. Don't forget the nice pre-buffered motion detection for parking mode too, works well.

Street Guardian has very interesting new stuff on the way, but if you need something proven good and reliable today Panorama is the way to go for long term quality.

Last edited:
I would say your worry with Panorama isn't necessarily accurate. Taken what is currently available, the Panorama Series are among the best out there. Add in @Pier28's excellent support and if you're looking for a premium dash cam you can't go wrong. In the higher end cams, the Vicovation Marcus series seemed as if it would be a complete WOW product with higher resolutions and take over top spot, yet fizzled away and is hardly spoken about. The Panorama does its job well, nothing more needed.

If you want to try something new, list out your needs and maybe we can help. There are a lot of good basic cameras out there.

The Panorama 2s & G will definitely cope in the heat - the X2 is tested up to 90C but is still maturing. The X1 should as it's got a lot of space inside which should help with cooking and is basically a G /X2 hybrid

Well sounds like I will be in limbo till something new comes out, if anything does, please feel free to send me a PM.

Got board and installed my REPlay PrimeX on my dash, it comes with a cool little mount deal, going to just use that for the time being. Here is a photo of it. Only gripe is going to have to rig up a filter, REPlay has not come out with a filter adapter yet, and the recorded glare bugs me, its not bad at all, but it still bugs me. I already carry this camera in my truck now, so figured it was not doing me a lot of good in my center console. The video I looked at came out pretty nice, the 1080p@60FPS makes for nice smooth video. There is tons of sample video on line, so not sure its worth my trouble to upload some sample video, but if yall want some, let me know.

I don't work for this company and have no vested interest in anything to do with this camera, so all of you conspiracy people relax, just following up on this. I would much rather have a dedicated dashcam with a parking/motion sensor as this does not. But I will say this does has a feature I wish the dashcam people would get, an app for my phone, I can view, setup, adjust, tweak, etc. everything from my phone, on the fly which is very nice. That is one of my gripes with the dashcams, the set up and configuration is really kind of a PIA, and for the price of the high end dashcams there really is no excuse for them not to have a phone app.

2015_01_26_16_46_3866.jpg

Back