Never ever pass on the right on the highway caught on Q800Pro dashcam - Drive safe

Passing on the right is legal in California (and necessary to get around left lane campers). The white van is entirely at fault here for not checking his blind spot.
It is the responsibility of the person changing lanes to be sure the lane he is changing into is clear.

yeah you can pass a slower moving car on the right here too, but you cant overtake on that side, so as i see it this can be hard to prove what is going on.
Not least since you also cant go over the speed limit when overtaking.
And if a car are on the left and not keeping up to the limit as it should do when it is there, then stay behind it and use your light / horn to get the idiot to move over where he belong.

IMO if you are on the left you should accelerate hard from intersections and keep up to the speed limit,,,,, and if you do that i don't mind if you are a left lane hog.
But i you don't then i get fired up.
I tend to like the left lane, but i don't dick around there, and if you are behind me and hell bend on braking the speed limit, just give me a short hoot or a flash and i will gladly move right over to accommodate your law braking ass.

BUT ! if up ahead you are pulled over, i will be the one doing a "nelson" as i pass buy, or if it is one of those days and i catch up yo you at the next intersection, i might flip you off in a attempt to start a confrontation.

nelson-simpsons-haha-placa-D_NQ_NP_604836-MLB26695472010_012018-F.jpg

Well, it is illegal in Quebec where I live and in Ontario too, except for emergencies like to avoid an accident.

No matter what is is not a smart thing to do, last time i did it i almost got creamed too when the guy wanted to move right as the left lane turned into a left turn lane.

First he is amateur staging, meaning his whole car are past the stop line, that's the same here as running a red light, then he don't keep his lane in a slight s curve in the road, and there are plenty room for 2 semis there if need be, and then he almost pull into me.

Last edited:
At your speed you would also pass the white car.

Well, it is illegal in Quebec where I live and in Ontario too, except for emergencies like to avoid an accident.

In Ontario, according to the government website at https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-mto-drivers-handbook/changing-positions. Its legal pass on the right

Passing on the right
Most passing is done on the left. You may pass on the right on multi-lane or one-way roads and when overtaking a streetcar or a left-turning vehicle.
Passing on the right can be more dangerous than passing on the left. If you are driving in the left most lane with a slower vehicle in front of you, wait for the vehicle to move to the right. Do not suddenly change lanes and pass on the right; the driver in front may realize you want to pass and move to the right at the same time you do.

To me, it seems the White SUV, and all cars in that lane were camping. The driver failed to check his blind spot and mirrors and failed to "wait for the vehicle to move to the right'. It appears he suddenly changed lanes.

In your video, I see a road sign which indicates he may have wanted to get in the right lane to exit. As such, the white SUV should have been the lane earlier. He made a dangerous lane change, or wasn't sticking to the right lane except to pass.

According to the Globe and Mail's article "Is the left lane just reserved for passing",

Rules strict in Quebec, lax in Ontario
The rules vary across Canada. In Quebec, the law bans driving in the left-most lane on highways with limits over 80 km/h unless you're passing or turning left. You can't even be in it if you're the only vehicle on the highway.
In B.C., you have to get out of the left lane if another car is coming behind you.
But other provinces, including Alberta and Ontario, just require slower traffic to keep right.
In Ontario, section 147 of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) states any "vehicle travelling upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at that time and place shall, where practicable, be driven in the right-hand lane…"

It's an $85 fine, plus fees. But the "normal speed of traffic" doesn't mean whatever the cars around you are doing. It's the posted speed limit.
What if both lanes are full of traffic? Do you stick to the left because it's going just a little bit faster than the traffic in the right lane?
"You need to drive in the lane that gives you the best space, which means the best following distance from the car in front of you," said Angelo DiCicco, director of Young Drivers of Canada's advanced driving centre. "If you're driving 100 and everyone else is doing 120, you're in the wrong lane. If people are passing you on the right, then you're not going with the flow of traffic and you're in the wrong lane."
Another reason to switch to the left? If you can't see what's in the lane ahead of you, DiCicco said.
"If you're behind a big fat truck, you might not be able to see what's in front of it and end up in an exit lane," DiCicco said. "Or maybe you're behind an SUV and you can't see through its tinted windows."
If you are in the left lane and there's a car on your tail, get out of the way when you safely can – even if that car's breaking the speed limit, DiCicco said.

"You should have seen the guy coming up about three-quarters of a kilometre behind you," DiCicco said. "If you're not out of that lane, you're the problem."
But switching to the safest lane occasionally is lot different than constantly weaving in and out of lanes to try to get wherever you're going faster, DiCicco said.
"Every time you change lanes, you're elevating your level of risk," he said. "You really, on average, can only go as fast as the speed of traffic. So, people on a 1,000-kilometre journey may end up saving like 13 minutes – but doing three times as much braking and three times as many lane changes. Is that 13 minutes worth a crash?"

In Toronto, on the 401, I use the right lane all the time to left campers all the time. I also see cars immediately go the left lane from a right merge some times make 4 lane changes in as many seconds. That to me is the real danger as they don't have the time to assess what is in there left hand mirror. This is particularly bad on the 400 going to and from Barrie to Toronto.

The thread title should actually be "Always check your mirrors before changing lanes". If slow, incompetent drivers would keep out of the left lane, no one would need to pass them on the right.

This was taken last Monday 13th January, whilst en-route to Melbourne for a couple of days.

This incident was promptly reported and uploaded to local Victorian Police on the same day. Whether or not action was taken by Vic-Pol is unknown.

This incident was promptly reported and uploaded to local Victorian Police on the same day. Whether or not action was taken by Vic-Pol is unknown.

I wish Toronto Police and the Ontario Provincial Police had a report and upload service.

Back