Never underestimate the persuasiveness of a LOUD horn

erkme73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
a119v3 x 4
This would have NEVER happened with the moped-sounding factory horn on my Toyota.

Funny how drivers think that a turn signal means c'mon over. This driver was in the right lane, but behind me. There was no one behind me, so she could have just moved over. Instead, she speeds up and tries to force her way in front. I saw it coming, and was ready to sternly say NO.

The very last sound you hear is my 2yo imitating the horn.

I am familiar with that location. Horns to those idiots in that area are mostly ignored. Not a pleasant area to drive in for sure :confused:

I wonder how long it will be before the first negative comment on that YT clip - You saw them indicate yet deliberately accelerated to prevent them coming over. You love the sound of your own horn. etc. etc.
It then makes you realise why people indicate once then pull over without even bothering to check - because they read those types of comments & realise there's a whole section of the motoring community who are happy to stomp on their brakes in order to let them change lane at a second's notice!

I wonder how long it will be before the first negative comment on that YT clip - You saw them indicate yet deliberately accelerated to prevent them coming over.

Me, I would have probably let off the gas and let them over if they looked lost and not from the area. But I would block a jerk driver that is trying to bypass everyone.

Me, I would have probably let off the gas and let them over if they looked lost and not from the area. But I would block a jerk driver that is trying to bypass everyone.
Yeah, this was a jerk driver by the sounds of it - plenty of room to move into lane behind the OP but decides they want to get just-one-more-car-ahead. You know when people are lost etc. Done it myself, if you're ahead of these drivers, just indicate & slow down. People can see that you're genuinely lost & they'll often let you in.

Under normal circumstances - someone who just merged into the lane next to me from an on-ramp, or someone who clearly just noticed that they need over - I would have no issue slowing down and waiving them in. In this case, this girl was trying nothing else other than to force her way in. She thought she'd get one car closer to the front by coming around me when she could have easily dropped in behind. I don't like rewarding that kind of driving by giving in.

A little further down that road, most traffic tries to get into the right lane to turn right on to Kennedy. It never fails that with 50 cars patiently waiting in the right lane, many people will zip by on the left, only to cut in at the last few cars before the turn. It causes everyone else in line to have to wait longer. As I get closer to the turn, I make sure I don't let ANYONE in as doing so rewards that behavior.

It's natural for drivers to speed up and get ahead to change lane rather than slow down and get behind.
It's the human's ego that comes into play to cut off others, to block others, get angry for something minor etc...
Without that we won't have all the fun from dashcam videos.

It's natural for drivers to speed up and get ahead to change lane rather than slow down and get behind.
It's the human's ego that comes into play to cut off others, to block others, get angry for something minor etc...

The human ego is a dangerous thing paired with a dashcam from time to time for sure. Here's a new "training" video someone put together.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/how-to-make-obnoxious-dashcam-videos-101.13195/

Last edited by a moderator:
I upgraded the horn on my previous vehicle.
So now you just need to upgrade the rest of you car.:D

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

In general terms you might be right, but would the same jackass that cuts in front of 50 people do the same thing at the cash register? Is that "natural"? I don't think so. People feel they can cut in line because their time is more valuable, or they're a 'better driver' than everyone else. If anything, THAT is ego. People who don't want to be late for work (because of all the lane splitters) who decide to put a stop to the cutting in, are not only preventing themselves from being delayed, but everyone else behind them. That's hardly ego motivating them.

If you were at the register, and you watch person after person cutting in front of you, would you not speak up? Would you not want the person closest to the offender to say something or prevent it?

It's all a mater of perspective.

Last edited:
I have a 115db horn on our tandem bicycle. It gets attention when I blast it :)

for some stupid reason, the first gen miata has its horn and brake lights on the same 10A fuse. and the stock horn is only slightly louder than a mouse.

so i replaced that POS with a cheap set of air horns from pep boys - simply powered the little motor directly from the stock horn wiring.

worked fine for several months, till one day i was coming out of a U-turn (a legal one, under a freeway overpass) when some idiot in an escalade blew his red light and nearly t-boned me. i stood on the clutch and brakes and hit the horn, but the only sound was my tires squealing. no horn (and presumably, no brake lights either). he actually stopped, and all my tire smoke blew into his open windows. never saw me, but i saw him stand up in his seat, look around, then sit back down and take off at full throttle. i knew exactly what had gone wrong with my horn, so i pulled into the next parking lot and swapped out the fuse from some other circuit so i'd at least have brake lights the rest of the way home... and disconnected the horn. later that day i wired up the horn properly with its own fuse and relay. mazda must have really been cutting corners back in the late 80s when designing the miata, if they thought it would be good to put the horn and brakes on the same tiny fuse.... if you think about it, you often have to use both at the same time.

If you a DIY person and know how to work with PVC pipe, you can get at little inspirations here.
Forward to 0:45

@BadDriversOfTheDCArea If you trash you horn, as you was supposed to do. Don't get any idea. I know it can be tempting.

Back