New 0801 user: No GPS data in desktop app

boilers

Reaction score
Country
United States
I downloaded the software from e-prance. I only am using built-in memory. I connect the USB cable. I start the app. But I am not seeing any GPS data. When I record in-car, one can hook up the usb power to either of two places: In-camera; on GPS/mount. Does it matter which? I tried both. All data files from both ways of supplying power results in same lack of GPS data in app.

Am I missing something obvious?
As a new user, thanks in advance for you help!
(See attempted screenshot file upload)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-26 at 10.30.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-26 at 10.30.12 AM.png
    142.9 KB · Views: 13
I believe others have had trouble with the camera not writing GPS data to the internal card. You may have to get an external card in order to capture the GPS data.

boilers, I had the same result as gearhead82 mentioned. That is I could only get the GPS data to record to an external card. You may want to ask the question to jazjon, as he said was able to write the gps data to the 8 gig internal memory.

Ok. If that's the case, no big deal. I'll try and external card and let everyone know. Yes, my GPS is set to OPEN. Thanks everyone. Your feedback is helpful and much appreciated.

Not sure what I did, but I tried a variety of things, couple of times, drove around and all is good now. Put in a small 4GB card just to try. It works. I want to get a 32GB. I'll search/read about the pros and cons of that if I can.. thanks everyone.

I think I got my internal card to record GPS data after I set the option to INNER card in the INNER/OUTER (Choose Card) section part of the menu. That was quite awhile ago and on an older firmware. When I get around to it I'll test it again on my newest firmware. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work as well.

You're better off with an external card anyway. Get the Samsung Class 6 card. Do NOT get any Class 10 cards. I'd stay away from Sandisk as well.

I think I got my internal card to record GPS data after I set the option to INNER card in the INNER/OUTER (Choose Card) section part of the menu. That was quite awhile ago and on an older firmware. When I get around to it I'll test it again on my newest firmware. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work as well.

I think there's a couple of ways of using these, personally with one like this with an internal card I'd probably be inclined to use an external card for day to day use, if something important happened I'd be able to pop the card out anytime and know that I've got the internal memory to keep recording business as usual while my important event was safely out of the way

Again, thanks for the advice/tips everyone. Much appreciated. I'll see how the thing works for real today during my first commute with it permanently mounted.

Got a new card. Now app says GPS info not available again.
I bought Team 32GB Micro SDHC Flash Card from Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313273
Card records A/V just fine. For $16 total delivered price, I thought I'd take a chance on this Class 10 card; even though noted above/prior JazJon said to avoid.
I've re-formatted the card from the camera. Made sure the card was set to outer; and as noted it is recording just fine onto that card.
Not sure what else to try. I'll pop my older 4GB card back in and see if it records/plays and has GPS. Perhaps it's a Windows/App issue?
I'll also try to move the files to local drive. Later....today....

Back