New 0806 cut off after 30 miles of a 200 mile trip

Drunken_Prozac

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am new here but couldn't find a similar post. I installed my 0806 with gps adapter 3 weeks ago, all has been working fine set to 2560p. Last week the 0806 was beeping after a few minutes and saying it had bad fragments on the card (32Gb samsung class 10). Formatted the card and all has been ok.

Drove 200 miles from a wedding and a car had a major failure in front of me and caused a crash, I went back through my video after I got home and found it had only recorded the first 30 miles! No audible alarm and the device is hidden behind my mirror so I couldn't see it.

Has anyone else had this issue? The camera has recorded everything since without issue.
I am on the latest firmware and the card is in slot A. The screen timeout is set to 1 minute and parking guard/motion detection is off. Gforce is set to 4.

Also I am using a CPL filter but everything seems a little 'soft' on the image.
Have attached a screenshot of the journey I took, the actual end point was near Newport at the top of the map.

Thanks for any help

Darren

Attachments

• cam.png
    cam.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Firstly, most recording issues are down to the SD cards, there are plenty of fake cards available from a number of sources. I tried several off a popular well know auction site that proved to be fakes.
Bought one from a high street store and have never had a problem since.
There are a number of free programs that you can download to test your card.

Have you got video loop turned off ?

If yo have try setting it at 3 mins, if it's turned off the max file size that the 0806 can record, is 4 Gb, if one of the loop settings is used it will record continually until you turn it off.

Last edited:
Firstly, most recording issues are down to the SD cards, there are plenty of fake cards available from a number of sources. I tried several off a popular well know auction site that proved to be fakes.
Bought one from a high street store and have never had a problem since.
There are a number of free programs that you can download to test your card.

Have you got video loop turned off ?

If yo have try setting it at 3 mins, if it's turned off the max file size that the 0806 can record, is 4 Gb, if one of the loop settings is used it will record continually until you turn it off.

The card I am using was bought a while ago, was used in my phone as storage until I upgraded to a 64Gb. It's a genuine Samsung one. The loop record is set to 3 minutes and each file is around 300-400Mb in size.
I did a 33mile trip yesterday with no issues, this just seemed to cut off for no reason while on a long trip, the air con was on and was around 20 degrees in the car so don't think it overheated

Format the card in the camera. Once a write error exists on the card, the camera will act unpredictably each time it gets to that block. Usually it will simply shut off. You may not hit the same error again for a few hours or days, but best to simply format it to make sure. What causes the error is debatable - power fluctuations, heat, glitchy firmware, mSD card that's getting worn out... BTW, Sandisk explicitly lists use in dash cameras as prohibited in their warranty terms... Doing so voids the warrant (in all but their most expensive cards). So obviously constantly (re)writing to the cards does shorten their lifespan.

I've found that powering the camera DIRECTLY (i.e. not through the GPS mount/base) significantly reduces the glitching. I think the contacts in the base provide poor voltage/current conductivity over time, and that contributes to card errors.

Format the card in the camera. Once a write error exists on the card, the camera will act unpredictably each time it gets to that block. Usually it will simply shut off. You may not hit the same error again for a few hours or days, but best to simply format it to make sure. What causes the error is debatable - power fluctuations, heat, glitchy firmware, mSD card that's getting worn out... BTW, Sandisk explicitly lists use in dash cameras as prohibited in their warranty terms... Doing so voids the warrant (in all but their most expensive cards). So obviously constantly (re)writing to the cards does shorten their lifespan.

I've found that powering the camera DIRECTLY (i.e. not through the GPS mount/base) significantly reduces the glitching. I think the contacts in the base provide poor voltage/current conductivity over time, and that contributes to card errors.

Thanks for the reply,

I have formatted the card again and also put the patch on the card from Nigel to improve the bitrate as I found everything to be a bit grainy and soft around the edges. I will keep an eye on it now and see if it happens again.
If I don't power the base unit will the GPS still work?

Thanks

Yes, that how I now power mine, it's been faultless ever since.

GPS works fine.

If you have a prob again, I would like to know which Samsung it is. Is it an Evo or Pro Plus.

Hi all,

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply but I've been busy and had lots of issues.
I bought the camera from gearbest so they wanted more money for me to send it back than it cost to buy! So I took a partial refund and set about trying to fix it.

I worked out the camera wouldn't shut down correctly and because of this it was losing the recordings, while driving it would just switch off without warning.
I did a bit of digging and found out about faulty batteries, I had a spare battery from a mini drone kicking around so decided to try and fit it.

Now, the battery is a bit big for the camera so i cut a little bit of the casing out for my tests so the battery is currently outside of the camera and so far it hasn't failed :)
Doesn't look great but it seems to be working, I've had it in the car for almost 2 weeks now and no missed recordings and no random shutdowns, I may invest in a smaller battery at a later date.

On another note I got the original SD card wrong, it was a SanDisk Ultra U1 32Gb.
I replaced this with a Integral 64GB Ultima Pro U1 card and it seems better but yesterday I did get a 'fragmented card error' which is what I had on the other card. I have formatted and will see if it does it again .

My 0806 used to shut down badly when I hit the lock file button causing the key recording to be lost. Maybe it was due to the burst of disk writing activity, or maybe the nudge was disrupting the power connection. In any case I became wary of hitting that button after anything important. If I had a serious incident I would NOT interfere with the camera in any way, just let it keep recording.

For the same reason I would not use the G sensor. It's ironic, but if a feature that's intended to protect recordings actually creates a risk of them being lost, then I'll not tempt fate by enabling it.

Back