New 512gw and hardwire kit

Chris Carr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
DDpai mini 2 Gloss Black
Hi
New to the forums and decided to upgrade from my 402g Professional to the 512gw. I had the 402 hardwired in via the fuse tap to a permanent live to use the parking mode feature of that camera. Since installing the new 512gw without changing the fuse tap position from a permanent live - the camera does not auto power off or turn the screen off unless I touch the screen off button. Is this normal? Does the 512gw need to be connected to a switched fuse in the fuse box? I know the 402 had dreadful battery life and assumed the 512gw would be similar.
Love the camera though - looks far better than the 402 but still to play with it as it just arrived this am.

Thanks in advance
cc1970

Hello and Welcome Chris,

You can use a permanently live on the 512GW, please turn on parking mode.

Once no movement is detected it will turn off and then start recording again once you enter the vehicle.

Hello and Welcome Chris,

You can use a permanently live on the 512GW, please turn on parking mode.

Once no movement is detected it will turn off and then start recording again once you enter the vehicle.

Hi Tiffany

Parking mode is activated already and had set the auto power off for 10s and screen saver on and while sitting in the driveway the screen did not darken and the unit did not auto power off at all. The screen only went off when I pressed the button on the display but still didnt power off.
Also with a medium g sensor setting I rocked the car while inside and no recording was taken - it was enough to simulate a small bump in a car park.

Any advice would be appreciated
cc1970

It doesn't - auto power off is a different feature.

Auto-power off is the setting for choosing how long you want the camera to remain on when it loses power. Yours is on a permanently live feed and will never lose power. This setting is really nul and void for you.

Rocking is an up/down motion which is far far less sensitive that forward/backward or left/right movement, a bump in the car park either by a car or someone opening their door would be forward/backward or left/right movement.

The camera should power off if its recording and you've exited the vehicle, what length of file have you selected?

Last edited:
It doesn't - auto power off is a different feature.

Auto-power off is the setting for choosing how long you want the camera to remain on when it loses power. Yours is on a permanently live feed and will never lose power. This setting is really nul and void for you.

Rocking is an up/down motion which is far far less sensitive that forward/backward or left/right movement, a bump in the car park either by a car or someone opening their door would be forward/backward or left/right movement.

The camera should power off if its recording and you've exited the vehicle, what length of file have you selected?

Hi Tiffany
Thanks for the info - much clearer now. I have the recordings set to the default which is 3 mins i think. Will be taking the car for a spin shortly so will see how the camera performs..

Many thanks
cc1970

Fantastic - it might take 5 minutes to turn off.

Please let me know how you get on.

You're more than welcome, we're happy to help where we can.

Fantastic - it might take 5 minutes to turn off.

Please let me know how you get on.

You're more than welcome, we're happy to help where we can.
Well had 1st test drive and heres the result.
slammed the door the camera started recording and continued to record.
came home and parked for 30 mins.
Left again to go to work but on this occasion the camera did not switch on for nearly 2 mins and to me that was only because it hit a speed bump and it stated "file protected" It worries me it did not record straight away from setting off after parking for nearly 30 mins

CC1970

That would seem like there wasn't enough movement until the bump but your door should have done it like it did before.
What version of firmware is on the Dash Cam?

In order to check what version of firmware you're using;
please stop the camera recording then press menu twice,
scroll down to "system info" or "version" then press OK,
a black screen should pop up with a long text with R.. at the end.
Please tell me what numbers are after the R.

That would seem like there wasn't enough movement until the bump but your door should have done it like it did before.
What version of firmware is on the Dash Cam?

In order to check what version of firmware you're using;
please stop the camera recording then press menu twice,
scroll down to "system info" or "version" then press OK,
a black screen should pop up with a long text with R.. at the end.
Please tell me what numbers are after the R.

Hi Tiffany
The version number is R14.6 and I have to say that my excitement for my camera is dwindling as I am finding more issues. I had now adjusted g sensor settings to low as I was getting random "protected " files on straight roads, no bumps in road and no braking and then I got another today with the lower settings. Then after popping to my local tesco and driving off I noticed that I didn't get the voice prompt of "recording" so I popped into a side street and parked safely to find the camera had turned itself completely off. Now as in previous emails you will know that its connected to a permanent live so I know the battery is charged. This is a brand new, security sealed camera from Amazon that was bought on the 9th January 2018 and I thought and trusted Nextbase again as my previous 402g suffered the battery failing and was replaced.
With the camera is not recording at slow or low speed, which in my opinion this is where some incidents can occur like pulling away from the lights or leaving a car park space ( as in the case of my previous comment) then the camera surely must be faulty
Any advice would be appreciated

cc1970

It should be recording as soon as you enter the vehicle, can you get int ouch with our support team on 02920 866 429 (UK Standard number) or email support@nextbase.co.uk

Back