New 522GW Randomly Stops Recording

Roadrunner1160

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Nextbase 522GW
Hi all,

New to the forum and dashcams in general. Just picked up a 522GW last week and set it up (not hardwired). Most of the time it seems to be working fine, and I've had no issues connecting to the app. I have noticed though, a couple of random times during short trips around town, it randomly stopped recording. The screen is still on, and Live View still shows if I open the app, but if I happen to either look at the screen or go in the app and review my trip, I've had a couple of times it just stopped on its own during my trip. It has the Nextbase 32gb memory card in it. I also did a reformat on that to see if that will help. Anyone have the same issue? Also, do I only need to format the card when it's new or when full? Thanks for helping a newbie

Not sure why your camera is stopping (mine never has), but I format about every 2 weeks

Welcome to the forum Roadrunner.
It is a good habit to format the memory card in the camera every few months or so, this reset the file allocation table, that can get a bit fractured by all that writing and deleting of smaller files.
It is also a good thing to look over your recordings before that, i do that and focus on the start and end files in drive sessions, some times with a stop in the middle to get gas, i just play a few seconds of each file just so i can see where it is recorded.
Needless to say if your first file in a drive session is from a mile down the road from your house, something is wrong, it should be you backing out of your driveway.
Same with the last file, if that end down the road from any of your probably regular destinations something is wrong.

Even if the memory card is new i would still run it over on the computer with test programs like h2testw or maybe crystaldiskmark, you could also format it with SD orgs sdformatter software, that should for sure reset any memory card to the default.
I have tried 2 times with then very expensive 64GB cards dying on me within days, the one dident even fill up one time, and i have just tried a 256GB Adata endurance card, that on first use had super slow read / write speeds, like 1/10 of what they was supposed to be, running that card over full format using sdformatter made the card come back to life with the speeds it was supposed to have.

There have also over the years been a few cases of the power plug for the in Dash socket not fitting well, but those are damn rare mostly the plug do not wiggle loose, just in case check if all your cables and plugs are seated well.

32 GB is mighty small, these days i would not go below 64GB for a single 1080p camera, but really i prefer 128GB, my collection of test memory cards are soon moved to 128 GB or larger, not least as with 2 channel systems you sure do want 128 GB cards in it.
A + with the larger cards is that theoretically they should also last longer as they take longer to fill up, and they are rated in full read /write cycles, and so 10.000 cycles on a 32 GB card happen much faster than 10.000 cycles on a 128GB card.

If you go card shopping some day, make sure you get a card that work with the nextbase cameras, some are a bit tricky about what cards they like, and if possible get a memory card that have warranty for in dashcam use ( this is often endurance cards )

Last edited:
Hi all,

New to the forum and dashcams in general. Just picked up a 522GW last week and set it up (not hardwired). Most of the time it seems to be working fine, and I've had no issues connecting to the app. I have noticed though, a couple of random times during short trips around town, it randomly stopped recording. The screen is still on, and Live View still shows if I open the app, but if I happen to either look at the screen or go in the app and review my trip, I've had a couple of times it just stopped on its own during my trip. It has the Nextbase 32gb memory card in it. I also did a reformat on that to see if that will help. Anyone have the same issue? Also, do I only need to format the card when it's new or when full? Thanks for helping a newbie
Hello,

Regarding the recording lengths, the camera will record continuously in small segments (1,2, or 3 minutes). It will record these segments consecutively until the SD card is full. Then the oldest piece of footage will be deleted and the newest will be saved in it's place. This will continue looping and is called Continuous Overwriting. The Dash Cam does this automatically to allow for more footage to be recorded and the old, unnecessary footage to be deleted without manual intervention.

However Protected Files are not overwritten in the same way as normal files. If you do not format regularly, these files can build up and reduce the capacity of storage available for normal footage. It is essential to format every two weeks to delete any protected files and clear the card ready for continued usage.

I'd recommend formatting the SD card at least every two weeks.

You can re-format the card by two methods;

1) On the Dash Cam Itself
2) On a Computer

1) On the Dash Cam:
a) Turn on the Dash Cam
b) Stop it recording
c) Open Settings
d) Go into Setup
e) Click 'Format'
f) Follow the instructions.

2) On a Windows Computer:
a) Plug the SD card into the SD card port, or plug the provided USB cable into the port on the top of the camera (select UPDATE on the cam's screen).
b) When the drive appears, right click on the drive.
c) Select 'Format' (Windows)
d) Ensure the 'Quick Format box' is not ticked. Please ensure it's formatted as exFAt or FAT32.
e) Follow the instructions.

2) On a Mac:
To reformat an SD or micro SD card on your Mac, do this:
Download, Unzip and install the following program
This is a tool to format SD cards properly on a mac.
Ensure you select "Overwrite Format"

Please be aware that formatting the SD card will delete all the data on the card, so if you wish to keep any footage, please copy this across to a computer before you start the formatting process.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

Regarding the recording lengths, the camera will record continuously in small segments (1,2, or 3 minutes). It will record these segments consecutively until the SD card is full. Then the oldest piece of footage will be deleted and the newest will be saved in it's place. This will continue looping and is called Continuous Overwriting. The Dash Cam does this automatically to allow for more footage to be recorded and the old, unnecessary footage to be deleted without manual intervention.

However Protected Files are not overwritten in the same way as normal files. If you do not format regularly, these files can build up and reduce the capacity of storage available for normal footage. It is essential to format every two weeks to delete any protected files and clear the card ready for continued usage.

I'd recommend formatting the SD card at least every two weeks.

You can re-format the card by two methods;

1) On the Dash Cam Itself
2) On a Computer

1) On the Dash Cam:
a) Turn on the Dash Cam
b) Stop it recording
c) Open Settings
d) Go into Setup
e) Click 'Format'
f) Follow the instructions.

2) On a Windows Computer:
a) Plug the SD card into the SD card port, or plug the provided USB cable into the port on the top of the camera (select UPDATE on the cam's screen).
b) When the drive appears, right click on the drive.
c) Select 'Format' (Windows)
d) Ensure the 'Quick Format box' is not ticked. Please ensure it's formatted as exFAt or FAT32.
e) Follow the instructions.

2) On a Mac:
To reformat an SD or micro SD card on your Mac, do this:
Download, Unzip and install the following program
This is a tool to format SD cards properly on a mac.
Ensure you select "Overwrite Format"

Please be aware that formatting the SD card will delete all the data on the card, so if you wish to keep any footage, please copy this across to a computer before you start the formatting process.

Kind regards,
Millie
Ive had the dashcam new out of the box and operational for less than one week. It isn't a problem with continuous overwriting. I have had random times that I have looked, while driving, and the s reen shows the time and date stamp and the cam has stopped recording. When I go in the app a short time later, sure enough, it wasn't recoding some of my drive. I can hit the record button to start it again and it will start recording, but then it may stop recording again. Defective card, unit????

Welcome to the forum Roadrunner.
It is a good habit to format the memory card in the camera every few months or so, this reset the file allocation table, that can get a bit fractured by all that writing and deleting of smaller files.
It is also a good thing to look over your recordings before that, i do that and focus on the start and end files in drive sessions, some times with a stop in the middle to get gas, i just play a few seconds of each file just so i can see where it is recorded.
Needless to say if your first file in a drive session is from a mile down the road from your house, something is wrong, it should be you backing out of your driveway.
Same with the last file, if that end down the road from any of your probably regular destinations something is wrong.

Even if the memory card is new i would still run it over on the computer with test programs like h2testw or maybe crystaldiskmark, you could also format it with SD orgs sdformatter software, that should for sure reset any memory card to the default.
I have tried 2 times with then very expensive 64GB cards dying on me within days, the one dident even fill up one time, and i have just tried a 256GB Adata endurance card, that on first use had super slow read / write speeds, like 1/10 of what they was supposed to be, running that card over full format using sdformatter made the card come back to life with the speeds it was supposed to have.

There have also over the years been a few cases of the power plug for the in Dash socket not fitting well, but those are damn rare mostly the plug do not wiggle loose, just in case check if all your cables and plugs are seated well.

32 GB is mighty small, these days i would not go below 64GB for a single 1080p camera, but really i prefer 128GB, my collection of test memory cards are soon moved to 128 GB or larger, not least as with 2 channel systems you sure do want 128 GB cards in it.
A + with the larger cards is that theoretically they should also last longer as they take longer to fill up, and they are rated in full read /write cycles, and so 10.000 cycles on a 32 GB card happen much faster than 10.000 cycles on a 128GB card.

If you go card shopping some day, make sure you get a card that work with the nextbase cameras, some are a bit tricky about what cards they like, and if possible get a memory card that have warranty for in dashcam use ( this is often endurance cards )
Thank you!!

Ive had the dashcam new out of the box and operational for less than one week. It isn't a problem with continuous overwriting. I have had random times that I have looked, while driving, and the s reen shows the time and date stamp and the cam has stopped recording. When I go in the app a short time later, sure enough, it wasn't recoding some of my drive. I can hit the record button to start it again and it will start recording, but then it may stop recording again. Defective card, unit????
It sounds like a faulty SD card. I'd recommend exchanging the card with the retailer that you've purchased it from.

Kind regards,
Millie

Ok, so I went back to the retailer since I was still within the return window. I exchanged both the unit itself and the card for new ones. So I'm running both a new cam and a new SD card. Same exact issue, only this time audible tones are working when it stops. I'm on my second unit now and day one with it its doing the same. It's not hardwired. I updated the firmware (19.9). Brand new SD card.. Why else would it stop recording on its own? Ready to return it for a different brand unless you can come up with a solution. I shouldn't have to keep hitting the record button to start it again, only to have it stop 3 minutes later.

Hi,

It's incredibly unlikely that two separate cameras will encounter the same issue, and is more likely to be down to the fitting or cabling. Are you using the cigarette lighter cable and not the USB cable?

Can I confirm if you also switched the cabling and GPS mount at the retailer?
Feel free to contact our Support Team directly on 1-806-3419406 (US) and we can go through all the troubleshooting with you in one go.

Kind regards,
Millie

I returned the entire unit for a brand new one. I am using it new, out of the box with the wiring that came with the new one, plugged into the cigarette lighter. I even swapped the Nextbase 32gb card for a new one. Incredible or not, it did it. If need be, I can provide you with a copy of the receipt from the retailer to show the exchange to show this is a verified purchase.

If you can't tell me what the issue is, it's going back, and I'll never buy a Nextbase product again. If it's an SD card error, than I got two faulty ones. And they're your brand.

To further pinpoint the issue that might help, I have noticed this does seem to occur related to if I am stopped, open the app to view recorded drives. The camera does stop recording as supposed to. Then when I start driving again, it records for 3 minutes, stops, I hit record again on the camera, records for 3 more.. Same
. Pull over.. Format the card... Same thing... So... What could it be?? The app connectivity? The cam? Not the car.. It's fairly new, a 2020 CRV. Not the phone, it's a Samsung S21 ultra.

If you have a Honda, like me, then the best place to wire in the dashcam is to the fusebox 'option connector'.

This is a dedicated slot that provides smooth power that piggybacking or power sockets often don't.

This is a UK site, but shows the option connector :

To further pinpoint the issue that might help, I have noticed this does seem to occur related to if I am stopped, open the app to view recorded drives. The camera does stop recording as supposed to. Then when I start driving again, it records for 3 minutes, stops, I hit record again on the camera, records for 3 more.. Same
. Pull over.. Format the card... Same thing... So... What could it be?? The app connectivity? The cam? Not the car.. It's fairly new, a 2020 CRV. Not the phone, it's a Samsung S21 ultra.
I'd recommend calling us directly on 1-806-3419406 and we can run through all the troubleshooting with you.

Regards,
Millie

Here is video of it stopping multiple times at the 3:00 mark.. Start it again, records for 3:00, stops. If this isn't proof, don't know what it. Same happened on two different cams. I just returned it to the retailer for a different brand and would never recommend this. Don't know why it is so highly rated if there are so many people reporting issues with it. Luckily this happened while it was still in the return window.

Videos wouldn't attach because of file format, but I'd be happy to email them

I'd recommend calling us directly on 1-806-3419406 and we can run through all the troubleshooting with you.

Regards,
Millie
Also, I have no need to call. I returned it to Bestbuy and exchanged it for a different brand. I shouldn't have to "troubleshoot" a brand new, out of the box product over the phone. If you head over to Reddit r/dashcam there are just as many complaints about this model. Two different cams, two different SD cards, two different sets of wiring. Just admit it, there is a design flaw with this product and several other people on this forum have complained about it. For a product that cost over $200, it should work flawlessly.

I was considering upgrading to the 622 because I really like the picture quality, ease of use and the app.. Then.. I went and looked at actual user reviews and they also are mixed. I will never buy another one of your products.

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you did not want to proceed with any troubleshooting with our Support Team. We do recommend contacting our Support Team if any issues occur, as one conversation via phone usually resolves the issue quicker than multiple forum posts over several days. If you do ever require additional assistance, please call us directly on 1-806-3419406.

Regards,
Millie

Indeed, if i had problems with something, and a Danish support i could call, i would so do that over anything else.
Problem is Denmark are too small for any local support in most cases, and even if my English is okay calling the UK or US for help i would not do, mostly on the count that i do not know what it cost to call the UK / US.
I do now,,,, well from September 1 have flat rate calling, but thats just inside Denmark.

I try to help people here in text, and it is often frustrating and with a high level of " i will just pretend i have forgotten this post" some times, also English are a #2 language to me, so i am sure there are grammar misunderstandings here both on the inbound and outbound communication.
And even if a am a bit of a petrol-head / gear-head / nerd, there are still technical terms i have to look up when i encounter them, if i can not resolve meaning from the context.

This isn't a solution, it's my experience. My 522GW stops and starts recording most journeys with the audible indication for both. Once if I'm lucky, or numerous times and frequently so that I want to throw the thing out of the window. My 122 was no problem but when I got the 522 I put the problems down to the car being an 18yr old VW, and neither the 122 or 522 powered down when the ignition was off. The rear camera in the 522 made it worse. I bought a 2016 VW and the 522 now shuts down with the ignition, but still stops and starts when driving, worse with rear view camera connected. I tried it in a citroen but the results were the same. I was advised to check it wasn't in parking mode - it wasn't. Change the SD card - I did, to the correct spec. The 522 still does stops and starts. Nextbase won't see my money again.

This isn't a solution, it's my experience. My 522GW stops and starts recording most journeys with the audible indication for both. Once if I'm lucky, or numerous times and frequently so that I want to throw the thing out of the window. My 122 was no problem but when I got the 522 I put the problems down to the car being an 18yr old VW, and neither the 122 or 522 powered down when the ignition was off. The rear camera in the 522 made it worse. I bought a 2016 VW and the 522 now shuts down with the ignition, but still stops and starts when driving, worse with rear view camera connected. I tried it in a citroen but the results were the same. I was advised to check it wasn't in parking mode - it wasn't. Change the SD card - I did, to the correct spec. The 522 still does stops and starts. Nextbase won't see my money again.
Hello,
It sounds like you're having two separate issues here.
1. The recording stop/starting-
What brand, size, model and class of SD card are you using please?
When and where was the SD card purchased please?
How often is the card usually formatted please?

2. The power source-

Are you using a cigarette lighter cable or a hard wire kit please?

If the camera is always recording, then it's constantly being supplied with power.

This can either be because the cigarette lighter port is a permanent live fuse (always powered) or the hard wire kit is on a permanent live fuse.

If you're using a cigarette lighter cable, then you can either unplug the socket every time you leave the vehicle which will stop your battery from draining, or you can use a Hard Wire Kit instead. Please be aware that the cigarette lighter cable does not have an in-built voltage cut off and could drain your battery if left connected to a permanent live cigarette lighter socket.

If you're using a Hard Wire Kit, then you're currently on a Permanent Live fuse instead of a Switch Live fuse. You can either turn Parking Mode on, which will switch the camera off when not in use. Or if you do not want to enable Parking Mode, you can change the fuse position to a Switch Live Fuse. The Hard Wire Kit does have an in-built voltage cut off at 11.2V, protecting both your cam's battery and the car's battery.

If the camera is turning off when the car stop/starts, then either the power source isn't providing power to the camera when the car's engine is turned off (e.g. a switch live fuse), or the power source voltage is fluctuating below 11.2V, preventing the camera from being powered.

Kind regards,
Millie

Back